Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many NFCU accounts?

tag
starry1
Valued Contributor

How many NFCU accounts?

How many different credit accounts do they allow you to have?  I don't think I've seen anyone with more than 3.  I ask because I have three now (nRewards, cashRewards and NavChek) and I was wondering if in the future I'll have to close one to get a good card like goRewards or Flagship down the road.  

I pc'd my nRewards from Visa to MC a couple weeks ago and took a hit of 19 points because iit reported as a new account and I'd rather avoid that in the future.

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
CS800
Super Contributor

Re: How many NFCU accounts?

I'm curious about that too.

I only have teh NCash

Message 2 of 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

pretty sure as many as you qualify for... at least 3, I have seen that! plus Navcheck, personal, and auto for sure!

Message 3 of 9
sweettea
Frequent Contributor

That's one where it may be good to call.

As Creditaddict stated, I've seen people with 2-3 cards, Navcheck, and an auto loan all at the same time. It could be a matter of what you can qualify for given what they feel you can handle. Navy offers a lot of products and I've never read a hard limitation on their site other than CL max, but not on # of accounts.

As for avoiding the HP with NFCU, good luck with that. Outside of CLIs (and even then there are caveats with that), NFCU is pretty HP happy. I want for one card and upon approval, I immediately requested a PC to the Flagship card and a $2K bump as well. HP! Now, I was told that I wouldn't have had the HP if I didn't ask for the bump, but I've seen different experiences as well.

Also, only Visa to Visa OR MC to MC will allow you to keep the same number. Remember that Visas start with a 4 and MC start with a 5, so it would be impossible to keep the same account number if you change from Visa to MC or vice versa.

Past - CH7 BK Discharged 01/09 | Rebuild Started 05/12 Present - All IIBs GONE! Future - 2015 Mortgage
Message 4 of 9
mt2va
Established Contributor

I had NavChek, Visa, MC, and auto loan with them but I never tried for any more.  And yes they are HP happy.  They probably HP us just for talking about them today.

Starting Scores 10/12: EQ 460 (FICO)/TU 502 (FAKO)/EX 474 (FAKO)
(7/14): EQ 572 (FICO)/TU 624 (FICO)/ EX 612 (FICO)

Current (2016): EQ 605 (FICO)/TU 657 (FICO)/EX 646 (FICO)

Message 5 of 9
bman86
Regular Contributor

I have never heard of any limitations to the number of accounts. I have nCash, nRewards, Auto, NavCheck, Personal (recently paid off), and a pending mortgage application.

Message 6 of 9
starry1
Valued Contributor

Well I also refi'd my auto loan with them, so that equals four accounts current with them.  

I guess should clarify that I really meant a limit on revolving accounts.

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 7 of 9
shmacckk
Regular Contributor

I believe you can have 2 cards under your name and 2 joint,

I am a joint on two cards with my wife and we both have another card each under or own names.

We both also have the Navchek as well.

Message 8 of 9
sweettea
Frequent Contributor

Not sure on that one either (I've seen 3 max), but generally from my readings, most choose to have no more than a certain number (2-3) because Navy tends to count the sum total of the CLs on your card towards their max of $50K. Only the Flagship is allowed to go up to $80K per their site. My only confusion there is if you have a Flagship as well as their other cards, does the total max across cards become $80K or will it be $50K still. (Need someone to help me with that one)

Also, as Lexie says, having "too many eggs in one basket" may not be ideal for those who want to have credit spread different card companies with having too many cards for them to manage.

Past - CH7 BK Discharged 01/09 | Rebuild Started 05/12 Present - All IIBs GONE! Future - 2015 Mortgage
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.