cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many personal credit cards do you have open?

tag
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: How many personal credit cards do you have open?

I set aside about 30 minutes of structured time once a week to keep tabs on my accounts and quickly scan my reports for anomalies then address bills I hadn't already dealt with on an ad-hoc basis.   I don't mind doing it and it's become routine for me but that level of effort is definitely not for everyone.

(9/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 41 of 105
md_rebuild
Regular Contributor

Same, but I do about 15 minutes a day.   I keep everything on an .xls spreadsheet (I should really look into a service, so I didn't have to manually input everything), and have all my CC apps in a single folder on my phone so I can quickly go into each and see the activity (I typically only use 4).  I could not see doing that for 66 cards though!   That would definitely require using YNAB, Mint, or something else to track.

BK7: Discharged Sept 2019
7/7/24:

Message 42 of 105
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

This whole 66 card thing is still bending my brain.  Earlier today I spent well over an hour working through the machinations of paying four cards, a few medical bills (involving transferring money from my HSA), and a handful of other bills like rent and utilities.  To add another 50+ accounts to keep track of just boggles my mind.  Kudos to all y'all who can make something like that work; it is clearly above my capability and pay grade.  Smiley Happy

Chapter 13:

• Burned: AMEX, Chase, Citi, Wells Fargo, and South County Bank (now Bank of Southern California)
  • Filed: 26-Feb-2015
  • MoC: 01-Mar-2015
  • 1st Payment (posted): 23-Mar-2015
  • Last Payment (posted): 07-Feb-2020
  • Discharged: 04-Mar-2020
  • Closed: 23-Jun-2020

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!

In the proverbial sock drawer:
Message 43 of 105
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

@Horseshoez wrote:

@Traveler101 wrote:

I could not even begin to comprehend 66 cards @coldfusion. Congratulations and more power to you. Trying to keep that many accounts active would be to stressful for me. Then I'd be afraid that I used one and forgot about it

You definitely earned your title, hands down as the leader.

Agreed, I'm not liking juggling six cards (with two in the proverbial sock drawer), I cannot imagine having eleven times that number.

Now that's what I call Dedication to the Craft!💳💳💳

New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 8y1m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 44 of 105
Janneman
Established Contributor

43 personal revolving cards, 3 personal revolving accounts, 3 charged cards, 12 business cards (revolving and charged cards)...Many closed accounts. Total credit limit last time checked was $1.1M....Last card got more than six months ago, and have been doing garderning since 6 months for Chase cards....already have many Chase cards but think still could get their bonuses...Its EXTREMELY hard to keep all these cards...I mean, very very hard to keep up with all these cards, but I am not closing down any of them...at least for a year or two...

Message 45 of 105
UncleB
Credit Mentor

(Ok, ok.... after closing my Schwab Plat and Amex Gold late last summer I'm down to 35.)

There is some dead weight there, but I tend to keep old accounts around if there's no AF and occasionally even a card that's 'dead weight' can be useful. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Message 46 of 105
BallBounces
Valued Contributor

@coldfusion wrote:

Right now, 66.  More than 80% of them were from my early 2017-early 2019 marathon when I was averaging a new card every 2 weeks.

What were your FICO08s during that marathon period?  We presume an otherwise clean profile?

050719:     
021924:     

FICO 08 scores listed and are stagnated until multiple derogatory items expire over the next two years.
Message 47 of 105
gorgon
Established Contributor

I have 9 in total. I rotate 3 pretty heavily.

Message 48 of 105
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@coldfusion wrote:

Right now, 66.  More than 80% of them were from my early 2017-early 2019 marathon when I was averaging a new card every 2 weeks.

Okay, I fold!  Smiley LOL

I opened about 30 from 2016-2019, hence the old recycling bin full of seedlings and spades I made in the Garden Club.  That was a pretty golden era of large SUBs.

Message 49 of 105
Anonymalous
Valued Contributor

I'm a little surprised so many posters have <10 cards.

I'm at 5 personal CCs + 1 AU.

Message 50 of 105
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.