cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much should I ask for? Bank of America CLI

tag
kobe24

How much should I ask for? Bank of America CLI

I want to ask for a CLI increase for my 123 Bank of America rewards card, but I don't know how much to ask for. I don't want to ask too low and regret that I could have got a higher limit. I'm currently a Bank of America Platinum Plivileges member because I have over 50K in my account. I wonder if this will help with a high CLI request. I'm thinking about asking for 20K. 

Current credit cards:

Bank of America 123: 2.5K

Amex BCE: 12K

Capital One QuickSilver: 3K

Chase Freedom: 5K

Equifax FICO: 786

Income: 38K

Does Bank of America give counter-offeres if the CLI request is too high? Would I get better results via online, back door number, or calling the Platinum Plivileges line? 

***Update***

I called the BofA backdoor number (866-421-8153) and spoke to two different credit card analysis. They asked about my income (38K), where I work, how long I've been working there, how much I paid for rent, and why I wanted the increase. I explain to them that I've been a BofA credit card holder since 2008, I never received a CLI, always paid in full, and never had any late payments. I said that I was planning on moving soon and wanted a CLI to support my upcoming large purchases.

I requested 25K, but they counter-offered with 10K. I was told that 10K was the most they can offer with my income. It seem like they didn't care that I had 56K in my BofA account. The last guy I spoke with noted that I didn't have any high reporting limits on my credit report history that would justify a need for 25K. He suggested that if I was reaching the 10K limit to call back and make another request.

I was also able to convert to a Visa Signature since the limit is now over 5K. The new card should come in 2-3 weeks.

AmEx BCE (12K) | BankAmericard 321 (10K) | Chase Freedom (5K) | Capital One QuickSilver (3K)
Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: How much should I ask for? Bank of America CLI

Back door since that's direct to the person who can review credit, ask questions, and make the decision.
$20k sounds great!
They will counter!!
Message 2 of 30
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

BofA will most likely hard pull your TU, but they always counter-offer if they can.  I would probably ask for $25k with the account history you've established.

Message 3 of 30
BMW_M-Series
New Contributor

im interested in this too. i keep a lot of money in my bank of america account and would like to know if i can get a much higher limit because of my balance. maybe going into a branch and asking for a CLI from a personal banker may be the best thing since they can view the bank account too. im not real sure but i would like to know how yours works out. good luck

Chase Sapphire Preferred - American Express Platinum - American Express PRG -American Express SPG -American Express BCP - BofA Cash Rewards Visa Siggy - Citi TYP - Discover IT - PenFed Gold

In Garden
Message 4 of 30
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

A banker can't review credit and approve you though.
Tell the underwriter upon calling back door "not sure if you can see but I have x dollars in savings with your bank.
Message 5 of 30
CreditUnionFan
Valued Contributor

Based on your score, assuming your income justifies the line of credit, asking for $25k probably isn't a problem. 

I definitely would call the backdoor number. Or, call your main number and ask for an analyst because you have questions about soft versus hard inquiries. 

I just spoke with their credit analysts yesterday and went from a paltry 2k up to 20k. It was easy!

I was going to garden... Honest!
Message 6 of 30
BMW_M-Series
New Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:
A banker can't review credit and approve you though.
Tell the underwriter upon calling back door "not sure if you can see but I have x dollars in savings with your bank.

good to know

Chase Sapphire Preferred - American Express Platinum - American Express PRG -American Express SPG -American Express BCP - BofA Cash Rewards Visa Siggy - Citi TYP - Discover IT - PenFed Gold

In Garden
Message 7 of 30
kobe24

Thanks for the advice. I will call the backdoor number and ask for 25K. Smiley Wink

AmEx BCE (12K) | BankAmericard 321 (10K) | Chase Freedom (5K) | Capital One QuickSilver (3K)
Message 8 of 30
deal1dealer

Please post your update.. I am on the same page Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 30
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I was instantly approved for $3500 back in September. I called and asked for $15k, and they countered with $10k. BOA is good about that it seems!

good luck!

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.