cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How should I ask for my Discover It CLI?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How should I ask for my Discover It CLI?

Hi friends, still new to the CC game. I got my discover It approved  for $4200 CL in January and I think it's time for a CLI. It's my daily spender and I've put tons on it; I pay it off every few days.

I need to build up so I can apply for cards like Sapphire with minimum starting limits. Is it best to call or do it online? Thanks!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How should I ask for my Discover It CLI?

I personally think the best method is trying online first. If you get approved for a CLI, then call in and see if you can get more. (Known as the Discover Double Dip). Good luck!!
Message 2 of 6
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Makes no difference how you start 

Do it online and if CLI is granted, call and tell them you were expecting a bit more. If they give you more, great. 

If not, it's a SP, repeat the process every 30-90 days . Enjoy it while it lasts because it will dry up eventually 

Good luck 

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ohhh I can call in every 30-90 days? Thanks for the tip! 

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Double dip sounds great! How should I spent to maximize chance of CLI? Do they like to see some charges paid off regularly? Or do they like people who pay some interest? Though I will never keep any interest; wipes out my rewards.

I'm guessing they might not be any general rule for CLI and it varies a lot from company to company.

Message 5 of 6
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

There's no rhyme or reason on trying to figure out how Discover works to be honest.  They're definitely unpredictable and results will vary accross the board.  In my experience, CLIs are usually tied to moderate spend on the "it" card, but for others that's not the case - accounts can be left without much usage for a period of time and still obtain a CLI.  CLI's are also a YEMV thing.

So, use it moderatly,  make on-time payments (there's no bonus points for extra payments in same the cycle btw Smiley Wink).   No need to pay interest as that isn't really a driven method for CLIs...why short change your rewards?

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.