cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Utilize Amex Dining Credit in the Middle of Nowhere?

tag
Billharrell
Regular Contributor

How to Utilize Amex Dining Credit in the Middle of Nowhere?

Hi All,

Any ideas on how I could use my Amex Gold Card dining credit, considering the following:

No Grubhub or Seamless service in my area,

Nearest Cheesecake Factory 80 miles,

Nearest Ruth's Chris Steakhouse 120 miles,

Nearest Shake Shack 300 miles.

Gift cards? Anyone with experience trying it? Any other options? Thanks!

2/18 FICO 8's:
EX(692): 3.1yrs, 8 inq.
TU(654): 0.3yrs, 3 inq.
EQ(683): 3.1yrs, 3 inq.
Utilization: 50%

Wall of Shame (recent denials/wish list):

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Re: How to Utilize Amex Dining Credit in the Middle of Nowhere?

I don't think you'll be able to utilize the dining credit without traveling to an area where the vendors are located.  You might have the same problem using the Uber credit if you had the Platinum card.  Amex seems to assume that its cardholders live in metropolitan areas or the surrounding suburbs.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 2 of 11
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

You are out of luck.  I have to travel about 50 miles to a Ruth's Chris or Shake Shack, I just make it a point to eat there as I'm usually in the city every few weeks.  Lots of people won't be able to use the credit, that's the way the burger bounces or the steak sizzles.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you considered moving?
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I feel your pain. I'm even further away than you are.

It's why I'm probably not going for Gold, as much as I would like to have it.

Message 5 of 11
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Some of you guys still on dial-up? Smiley Tongue

I live outside the city only by about 15 mins but found it harder to use my UBER credits on the weekend to get into the city on my platinum as I live just outside a major city

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good thing I don't have dial up... no strength... no cheesecake 😒

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

Some of you guys still on dial-up? Smiley Tongue

I live outside the city only by about 15 mins but found it harder to use my UBER credits on the weekend to get into the city on my platinum as I live just outside a major city

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does the monthly dining credit pool if you don't use it, or is it a 'use it or lose it' kind of deal?

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Does the monthly dining credit pool if you don't use it, or is it a 'use it or lose it' kind of deal?

I'm pretty sure it does not. I also kinda live in an area where is hard to use this credit even though I just signed up and received my Amex Gold. There is only one "Pizza My Heart" nearby that works with Seamless or GrubHub but that's fine, I mean, I would mind getting 1 free pizza per month, haha! 

Message 9 of 11
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm pretty sure it does not. I also kinda live in an area where is hard to use this credit even though I just signed up and received my Amex Gold. There is only one "Pizza My Heart" nearby that works with Seamless or GrubHub but that's fine, I mean, I would mind getting 1 free pizza per month, haha! 

Your pizza is not free.  Check the annual fee on that card.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.