Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get a higher credit limit?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to get a higher credit limit?

I make $50k a year, nothing amazing but a nice wage. My credit is pretty crummy, but I have five years of credit card history that is 100% on-time payments. I have never not paid at least the minimum payment on my cards. I have crappy limits, 6000, 1500, 750 and 500. None of them will raise them. What can I do to get my credit limits raised? If I could get one card with a $10k limit, I would use it and none of the others.

Any advice is appreciated.

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

Re: How to get a higher credit limit?

I wouldn't consider $6K crappy.  As for the other ones, which banks are they with?  That'll give us some insight as to whether you have any hope for them to grow with time. 

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

$6000    USAA

$1500    Wells Fargo

$750      Capital One

$500      Capital One

No, the $6000 isn't a crappy one. Infact, if I could increase it by $4k and move all of my credit over to USAA I would. They are an awesome entity, their online system is awesome and their customer service is exceptional. Either way, I have asked all of them for an increase and they've all said not at this time.

From your experience, what is the best thing to do to position yourself for a credit line increase?

Message 3 of 21
aftermath
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

$6000    USAA

$1500    Wells Fargo

$750      Capital One

$500      Capital One

No, the $6000 isn't a crappy one. Infact, if I could increase it by $4k and move all of my credit over to USAA I would. They are an awesome entity, their online system is awesome and their customer service is exceptional. Either way, I have asked all of them for an increase and they've all said not at this time.

From your experience, what is the best thing to do to position yourself for a credit line increase?

1) Pay off all of your balances to below 10%.

2) Let the accounts age for a few months.

3) Call in and request a CLI (not Capital One though because they don't do customer initiated CLI)

American Express Blue Cash Everyday $6600
Barclays US Airways Premier World Mastercard $14500
Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000
Chase Freedom Visa $1000
Chase United Explorer $8500
Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select Visa Signature $7500
Citi ThankYou Premier World Mastercard $7500
Message 4 of 21
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

$6000    USAA

$1500    Wells Fargo

$750      Capital One

$500      Capital One

I just saw your credit scores.  Your best bet for a CLI is to work on the scores some...at least get them to 650 or so.  Are the Cap One cards a part of the Credit Steps program?  If they are, you should see some auto CLIs on them.  I'm not sure about Wells Fargo.  They won't touch me and my score is over 700 (of course I have a previous BK on file though).     

Message 5 of 21
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

@aftermath wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

$6000    USAA

$1500    Wells Fargo

$750      Capital One

$500      Capital One

1) Pay off all of your balances to below 10%.

2) Let the accounts age for a few months.

3) Call in and request a CLI (not Capital One though because they don't do customer initiated CLI)

Agreed on all 3.  1 & 2 will be what gets your scores trending in the right direction. 

Message 6 of 21
SocalMark
Regular Contributor

opps

Message 7 of 21
Cranston
Established Member

open an account with PSECU and go for their combo.

Message 8 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cranston wrote:

Would be an awesome idea, seeing as how they have an excellent card available, if I met one of their membership criterias.

Message 9 of 21
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

@Cranston wrote:

Would be an awesome idea, seeing as how they have an excellent card available, if I met one of their membership criterias.

Join the Pennsylvania Recreation and Parks thingy. Easy to do, and warm fuzzies on helping the great outdoors, even if you don't live in PA. Twenty bucks does the job, plus the $5 or whatever-it-is funding for the PSECU share account.

Yes, you too can join PSECU and find out your EX FICO score!

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.