Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to reverse Capital One overpayment?

tag
wasCB14
Super Contributor

How to reverse Capital One overpayment?

I accidentally pushed two PIF payments to Capital One. I overpaid by a few thousand dollars and don't expect to spend that much more on the card.

What's the best way to get the excess back? Would they be like Amex and just write a check after a month? Should I call or use chat? Is there some website feature I can use?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How to reverse Capital One overpayment?

Just request a credit balance refund, they'll send you a check for the overpayment.

I don't recall if Capital One would have the capability as some other lenders to deposit the excess funds via your checking/savings account in lieu of the refund check.
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have a credit of more than $1, the lender has to refund you the owed amount within 7 days following a written request. Probably just calling the customer service can have it reversed in no time.

Alternatively, you might also check whether withdrawing as cash would incur any charges -- since they owe you money, it should not cost you any interest charges. You're out of luck if you have withdrawal fees though.

Message 3 of 9
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I did call and was impressed with an alert and helpful customer service rep, given the bad things I had heard from other about Capital One. The CSR said an ACH payment would arrive in 5 calendar days.

That said, there was a tremendous amount of background noise at the call center, which is pretty nerve-wracking when giving someone routing and account numbers. I do wish there was a way to handle it over the website.

Hopefully it will all get settled smoothly in a few days. In retrospect, with the noise maybe I should have just asked them to mail me a check.

Message 4 of 9
wasCB14
Super Contributor

WTH?

My due date was May 5, and I paid twice by that date. I only asked them to refund one payment.

How can I possibly owe them interest? My payment still hasn't even arrived back at Schwab.

Cap1.JPG

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looks like a phone call is in order. 

Message 6 of 9
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Looks like it was probably an error in the way that the credit was handled since the adjusted payment has a date later than the due date. I would call (again) to get it straightened out and make sure you don’t get dinged with a late payment fee too.

FWIW I found it comical when they mailed us a $0.11 check (on a BoA checking account no less, assuming this is a regulatory thing?) a while back due to a PIF and cashback overpayment.
Message 7 of 9
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

It looks like they're crediting the interest, not charging interest, or am I looking at it wrong?

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 8 of 9
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@CreditInspired wrote:
It looks like they're crediting the interest, not charging interest, or am I looking at it wrong?

It's a $20k CL, and only $19,963.51 is available.

I called and the rep offered a credit of $36.49 towards interest and reset my grace period (to avoid residual interest). The rep said the credit would appear in 3-5 business days. No word on when the money would actually appear back at Schwab checking.

So it sounds good...but I'm still concerned I'll be calling back next week.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.