cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to take advantage of multiple travel cards’ points?

tag
drave199
Established Member

How to take advantage of multiple travel cards’ points?

Maybe this has been asked before but I am pretty new to travel cards and points. I was thinking, hypothetically if you had multiple travel cards and used them often or got multiple sign up bonus’s, is there a way to use all those points for the same thing, like a vacation? I assume there is so my question really is how? I don’t expect anyone to go into to much detail but I’m guessing you would find a place to transfer all the points to the same place?

The reason I ask is because I got a prequalified offer for csp with a 50k bonus offer which is probably normal but made me think. I just got the Amex gold so I probably won’t do it but good info to have in the future. Thanks!
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Re: How to take advantage of multiple travel cards’ points?

If you spread your spending across multiple credit card rewards systems (UR, MR, TYP, other bank points, airline miles, hotel points, etc), you will be a mile wide and an inch deep, and it will take you a long time to redeem.  

Your best bet is to pair bank points with the airline miles to which they can be transferred.  For example, pair Chase UR with United miles or Amex Platinum and Gold with Delta miles.

In some cases you can transfer from multiple bank points systems to a single airline's frequent flyer program.  I'm thinking of Jet Blue, Air France, KLM, and British Airways.

Notice the absence of American Airlines from any of these combos....

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 2 of 6
xaximus
Valued Contributor

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

If you spread your spending across multiple credit card rewards systems (UR, MR, TYP, other bank points, airline miles, hotel points, etc), you will be a mile wide and an inch deep, and it will take you a long time to redeem.  

Your best bet is to pair bank points with the airline miles to which they can be transferred.  For example, pair Chase UR with United miles or Amex Platinum and Gold with Delta miles.

In some cases you can transfer from multiple bank points systems to a single airline's frequent flyer program.  I'm thinking of Jet Blue, Air France, KLM, and British Airways.

Notice the absence of American Airlines from any of these combos....

+1. To add - Having multiple travel cards with multiple different reward systems is not only hard to track but hard to manage. I wouldn't recommend doing it unless you really know what your doing. Otherwise, I'd suggest sticking to one. If you have SUBs to hit, then there's a few things you can do. Break down your travel to plane tickets, car rental, hotel, etc. You can put each expense on one card and continue doing that (if you have alot of travel coming up soon). Also, there are times with reward systems that one may work out better then the other. Hypothethical example - Chase UR points give more per point vs. Citi TY points. 

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 3 of 6
drave199
Established Member

Thanks for the info, makes sense. Like I said I don’t plan on doing this just thought about it after getting the prequalified offer from csp.
Message 4 of 6
NRB525
Super Contributor

We need to make a distinction between Sign up benefits, ongoing spend plans and earning points, and actual travel such as business travel where you earn “free” points. 

I have been going through several card applications in the last several years to get various SUB. Those bonuses add up, and along with points/miles from business travel have contributed to several nice vacations. Many of those cards are helpful, some I am closing because they don’t work for me long term. I am approaching the stage where SUB does not matter as much, and focused spend and business earnings become more important for me. 

While the ideal is to have a few cards earning focused benefits, it is not possible to accurately state whether a particular card or set of cards is “ideal” for any person. Thus it is beneficial to try the cards, enjoy the SUB, really learn what the card can do for you, then decide what to do longer term. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@drave199 wrote:
Maybe this has been asked before but I am pretty new to travel cards and points. I was thinking, hypothetically if you had multiple travel cards and used them often or got multiple sign up bonus’s, is there a way to use all those points for the same thing, like a vacation? I assume there is so my question really is how? I don’t expect anyone to go into to much detail but I’m guessing you would find a place to transfer all the points to the same place?

The reason I ask is because I got a prequalified offer for csp with a 50k bonus offer which is probably normal but made me think. I just got the Amex gold so I probably won’t do it but good info to have in the future. Thanks!

Get an airline card, get a hotel card, get a general travel card. If you have a spouse get the same cards for them and then you can use airline cards for flights, hotel cards for hotels and general travel card for car rentals.  Vacation completed.  You will still have to pay for food.

I have done a bunch of vacations that airline and hotel were covered.  Been to Ireland for 10 nights, Florida, Aruba, Paris, all on credit card companies dime in hte past 14 months.  Going to Aruba in a couple of weeks to stay at Ritz Carlton for free with free airfare.  Going to Beach in June for free for a week and then to the Netherlands for free for 10 days for 3 people later this summer.  

If you are under 5/24 get the Chase cards first.  Then hit Barclay Arrival and then whatever you want. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.