cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I made up my mind .. Closing my AMEX Bonvoy!

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: I made up my mind .. Closing my AMEX Bonvoy!

@DAC213 wrote:

@UncleB I decided to downgrade to the 95.00 to Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card. Just hung up the phone with the rep.. I have global, priority pass etc. on other cards. Main reason I got the card to because of the 300 prem crdt.

DAC

Thanks for the update, @DAC213!  It's good to have positive confirmation that Amex is still allowing a PC to the Bonvoy. Smiley Happy

Message 31 of 41
DAC213
Valued Member

@UncleB I only had the Brilliant for 4 months.

Message 32 of 41
DAC213
Valued Member

@TheBoondocks  Yes I did and it was so easy...My AF for the Brilliant and I noticed today they I got a credit adjustment membership fee  for  -$389.58. Glad I downgraded I already have Gold elite status.

Message 33 of 41
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

I thought that you're suppose to have the card for 1 year before downgrading but if you read it carefully in the TOS - If we in our sole discretion determine that you have engaged in abuse, misuse, or gaming in connection with the welcome offer in any way or that you intend to do so (for example, if you applied for one or more cards to obtain a welcome offer (s) that we did not intend for you; if you cancel or downgrade your account within 12 months after acquiring it;...

So it's saying AFTER, honestly I don't care about the marriott points so it doesn't bother me if I miss the SUB. But, if I got the marriott card and did NOT get the SUB then this shouldn't affect me right? I think this only pertains to people that are trying to get the SUB and then downgrade within the year, idk why they would do that but yeah.

Message 34 of 41
DAC213
Valued Member

No I truly only had the card for 4 months, never had the 95.00 Bonvoy. The Amex rep told me I did not need to have the card for a year.. That would be the case with a chase card for PC.

Message 35 of 41
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@DAC213 wrote:

No I truly only had the card for 4 months, never had the 95.00 Bonvoy. The Amex rep told me I did not need to have the card for a year.. That would be the case with a chase card for PC.

Did you earn the bonus on the Bonvoy Brilliant?

If not then it probably doesn't matter.  If you did earn the bonus, though, then Amex technically could do a claw-back of the bonus if they wanted.  I understand the rep might have indicated otherwise (or possibly didn't elaborate at all), but in similar cases Amex has usually sided with the fine-print if someone complained.

Hopefully it will be a non-issue for you.

Message 36 of 41
DAC213
Valued Member

@UncleB Yes I did earn the bonus 75k... and I just downgraded to the Marriott Bonvoy. I had Gold elite status before I had the card traveling for work I earned the points.

Message 37 of 41
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

@DAC213So, since the refund you had was $60 out of pocket. You also have to pay $95 for the downgrade as well? Both for the first year, and not get the free night until next year?

Message 38 of 41
DAC213
Valued Member

@TheBoondocks  I will pay the 95.00 in a few months and I keep the Promo 75k points earned (At the time because I spent over 3000.00   shows on my Marriott/website( top right corner)account on their website & combined with my other points, +15 nights earned.  I use marriott and other partners even when I go abroad. I had elite gold status already.

Message 39 of 41
DAC213
Valued Member

Change is coming @UncleB & @TheBoondocks sigh!! Amex new Marriot Bonvoy BEVY...Smiley Frustrated

Bountiful – Chase $250
Bevy – Amex $250
Brilliant – Amex $650

Refresh late September

Message 40 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.