cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I made up my mind .. Closing my AMEX Bonvoy!

tag
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

Re: I made up my mind .. Closing my AMEX Bonvoy!

@wasCB14 wrote:

How exactly would a person be a "holdover from the SPG days"? Weren't all of the $95 card accounts transferred to Chase (except for the people who had PCed to the Brilliant)? AFAIK the ONLY was to have one is to have downgraded from Brilliant after the Amex/Chase reshuffle.

No. It still exists. I should still be able to downgrade to it.

(I had it before, but I upgraded).

marriott_lto.png

Message 21 of 41
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Got it. Not sure where I got the idea that the accounts had migrated to Chase. I thought the 100k upgrade offers were all about trying to keep customers.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 22 of 41
MachoHombre
Regular Contributor

@CreditPacMan wrote:

The title says it all. I came to know from a question on this forum that AMEX is ending its $300 statement credit benefit for the Bonvoy card in September .. that is THE main benefit that made the card premium to me. 

This led me to think ... should I renew or not? A little back story before I answer - I had the Chase Marriott card (the original) from 2014 to 2021. When I was paying off my debt, Chase reduced my limits on a couple of other cards I had with them so the moment I paid off the Marriott card I closed it. I started looking for a more premium card and that is when I applied and got approved for the AMEX Bonvoy. The benefits are pretty much the same when it comes to Marriott purchases between both cards (6pts and a 1 free night). But the $300 statement credit made the difference for me and I did not mind the $450 AF because of that single perk. 

Not only that. It was easy to use. I can get a lump sum up to $300. Which why I am super frustrated that they are removing it and replacing it with a food perk! They just made it hard to use. Not only does the monthly credit not roll to the next month if you don't use it, but you are limited to a specific amount ($25). If I wanted a dining card, I definitely would not apply for an AMEX Bonvoy. The benefits are Marriott is what made the card premium!

So I have made up my mind that I am closing the card. Since I am at 8/24 right now, I will have to wait to re-apply for the Chase Marriott card. I will be at 3/24 in 12/23.

I wanted to ask those who have the AMEX card and are deciding to keep it .. what is your rational? What makes the card premium to you now that the statement credit is no longer available? 

Groovy post @CreditPacMan 

I echo your thoughts and am on the fence but likely to give it anohter year.

To add further frustration, the AMEX Bonvoy Business card has got some new perks, notably Gold Elite Status

Sigghhh, that was the primary reason I got the Billiant.   so the delta between the two has significatnly narrowed (for my needs) but the $325 AF variance has not changed  ...which I can re-coup the majority of that if I choose to play the ridiculous dining game every month.

I may tell them I want to cancel and see if they give me any incentives, but I'm likely to stick it out one more year to see what happens.

GREAT posts on this thread, thanks for shaking the tree -->and kudos to all the nifty posts.

||
Message 23 of 41
purebulldogs
Contributor

I don't have that card but I'm liking my other cards more than my Amex now. My opinion Amex needs to revamp some things 

Message 24 of 41
unsungivy
Established Contributor

P2's card is renewing tomorrrow, so since the credit change isn't coming until the end of Sept, he will use the $300 stay credit immediately on the trip he's currently on.

He's aiming for some lifetime status ranks, so I'm guessing that what will likely happen is that next year will downgrade to the $95 card instead, and continue to get the 15/nights a year credit (while the card is sockdrawered), which stacks with the Biz, especially since the Biz has better "additional" categories than the Brilliant anyways and is the one he typically uses for actual charges OTHER than this particular yearly credit. A yearly 50k cert vs a 35k cert won't really make a difference given the ridonkulous points he racks up atm (he's Titanium, pushing Ambassador).

Authorized User -
Biz - Sock Drawer'd -
Message 25 of 41
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

If i get the marriott brilliant before sept 22, i could get the $300 and then when the dining credit hits for sept thru the end of the year. The card really cost me $50 right?

Message 26 of 41
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@TheBoondocks wrote:

@UncleBWhat if I never had the old spg to begin with, if I apply for the Amex Brilliant card would I be able to downgrade to the $95 version? Thanks.

I don't see any reason this won't work, as long as Amex is still allowing PCs to the Bonvoy when your 13 months is up with the Brilliant card (you'll want to wait until after the AF hits for the second year before requesting a downgrade). 

I've not heard of anybody being denied a downgrade from the Brilliant to the 'plain' Bonvoy, the main obstacle to the PC seems to be knowledge of the old product.  Since the only people who have the card are holdovers from the SPG days and those who have downgraded there's not a lot of info available.

Capture.PNG

shhh..., maybe i should just get the brilliant and downgrade to see if it works or not. just hate waiting a whole year to see, but at least its not a hard inquiry with amex.

Message 27 of 41
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@TheBoondocks wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@TheBoondocks wrote:

@UncleBWhat if I never had the old spg to begin with, if I apply for the Amex Brilliant card would I be able to downgrade to the $95 version? Thanks.

I don't see any reason this won't work, as long as Amex is still allowing PCs to the Bonvoy when your 13 months is up with the Brilliant card (you'll want to wait until after the AF hits for the second year before requesting a downgrade). 

I've not heard of anybody being denied a downgrade from the Brilliant to the 'plain' Bonvoy, the main obstacle to the PC seems to be knowledge of the old product.  Since the only people who have the card are holdovers from the SPG days and those who have downgraded there's not a lot of info available.

Capture.PNG

shhh..., maybe i should just get the brilliant and downgrade to see if it works or not. just hate waiting a whole year to see, but at least its not a hard inquiry with amex.

Even the most well-meaning blogger sometimes isn't the most well-informed about these things. Smiley Wink

From my vantage point perusing the forums, I've never (personally) seen anybody post about being denied a downgrade from Brilliant to Bonvoy ($95).  Now that I've said that, if there is an outlier somewhere they'll be sure to come out of the woodwork to prove me wrong, LOL. 

(For the record, I never mind someone pointing out that I'm mistaken... getting the correct info is what is important, not my being "right" although I do strive for that, of course.)

Message 28 of 41
DAC213
Valued Member

@wasCB14 thanks for the info. I knew the 300 credit would be removed in place of the dinning 25 credit. I just call Amex and down graded to the 95.00 AF. It is similar to chase perks but chase has a few perks more on this card. I only use the card just for the marriott so I am cool with the downgrade. Thanks again.

DAC

Message 29 of 41
DAC213
Valued Member

@UncleB I decided to downgrade to the 95.00 to Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card. Just hung up the phone with the rep.. I have global, priority pass etc. on other cards. Main reason I got the card to because of the 300 prem crdt.

DAC

Message 30 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.