cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If your Synchrony card is replaced, does it show as a new trade line on your report?

tag
cr101
Established Contributor

If your Synchrony card is replaced, does it show as a new trade line on your report?

I reported my card lost and it's showing as closed on my credit report. My account activity on the new card shows a "balance transfer" from the old account. Although one rep told me that she *thinks* that it should all be under the same account, I'm worried that this will show as a new account and hurt my credit. Myabe I've never paid attention when I've had cards lost/replaced in the past, but I would think that they would just update my report with the new #, right? ...Unfortunately, their reps aren't really helpful.

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: If your Synchrony card is replaced, does it show as a new trade line on your report?

Unfortunately, synch has created new tradelines and transferred the history, in the past. But, I've heard they don't do that for all of their cards.

Message 2 of 32
VPExecutive
Frequent Contributor

Re: If your Synchrony card is replaced, does it show as a new trade line on your report?

Should be a lawsuit filed against them if they are not reporting accurate information. Having a card replaced should not count as a new account. 

Message 3 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@VPExecutive wrote:

Should be a lawsuit filed against them if they are not reporting accurate information. Having a card replaced should not count as a new account. 

Credit reporting is voluntary, not mandatory. They report the original open date so it actually helps with your age metrics unless it's a very new account anyway. 

Message 4 of 32
RyVision
Valued Contributor

Years ago when they upgraded my Sync Walmart to a Walmart Discover along with a CLI, I checked report info and it showed a new account.  I called them and politely went through a couple CSR's until I found one that understood my concern about it being a new account on report.  She was somehow able to fix it so it finally showed up as "Closed transferred" but date transferred too, old account was removed but payment history remained.   Don't know how it applies to your situation.  Maybe call later after you see how your report update?  I had a couple that did that. 

I'm not sure how it would work with a card that was lost\stolen then replaced.  This is one of those examples of why everyone says to keep an eye on your reports.  Which is where I guess the alert services that do it for us help. 

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 5 of 32
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@VPExecutive wrote:

I'm sure there's been some form of litigation in the past, but they're not violating any laws and they're not the only lender that has this practice in place when it comes to reporting lost/stolen plastics and a 2nd tradeline being added.  A variety of CUs, Community/Regional banks tend to do so as well. 

Message 6 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same question.  I had an unauthorized charge to my card at the end of the year.

Synchrony closed the card as lost or stolen and it is gone from on my credit card list.

I am waiting for my new card with new number.

Hopefully when I activate it, the card will show up and have the original date when I first got the card.

This is my fourth time having an unauthorized charge to my Synchrony card but I never had a problem

on my credit report.

Message 7 of 32
Hex
Valued Contributor

Last January I opened Care Credit Card and they sent it to the wrong address. When I didn’t get the card by when I expected I looked and noticed the incorrect address. They had my house and apartment reversed. I called Sync and they cancelled the first card and issued a new card AND another new account on my credit report. The first card arrived the next day. Smiley Sad
I ended up reading about similar problems on this forum and decided I didn’t want to make things worse so I let it slide. I’m still annoyed about it to this day but at least “both” of my new accounts just turned a year old. I hope you can get things straightened out but I don’t think that Sync cares.
Message 8 of 32
donotpassgo
Valued Member

Out of an abundance of caution, I had my PPMC Cashback replaced due to an unauthorized charge.

This occurred very recently. History was carried over, and the original tradeline was retained as well. Good thing, because a new tradeline would've had a very significant impact on my profile.
Message 9 of 32
steelers1
Frequent Contributor

I have had a few Synch cards replaced over the years due to fraud. To answer your question it does not report as a new account. They transfer all of your history its just a new number.

About 6 months ago they upgraded my Care Credit card to a MC and that was reported as a new account.

Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.