Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Im in a bit of a crunch...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Im in a bit of a crunch...

First off, I just want to say my fico has the worst login procedure of all time! (8th account here)

So my situation is getting a little bad...I am about to finish my graduate degree but fafsa has stopped with the gov loans due to academic reasons? (but I can still graduate?) So this semester I had to pick up the tab for my classes (3.5k) on my credit card. Next semester is my last and I need to do that same.

Now, I bought a house along with some credit cards earlier this year so my inquiries have kind of piled up. I can make a monthly for the 3.5k to pay it off in the 15 month I on my newly given CC but I cannot make the next 3.5k for next semester.

So what are my options now? Get a new credit card with hopefully another 15month 0% or get a personal loan?

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

Re: Im in a bit of a crunch...

Some will argue that it's not a good idea to put tuition on credit cards. Others who argue it's a better idea to take out a loan. I would suggest that you should do whichever works better for your financial situation. If you are able to carry a balance at 0% for X amount of months but pay it off in a reasonable time, then it seems that would be the better way to go. 

Just keep in mind that the more you put on credit cards the higher your utilization will be. 

What is your current profile like?

Message 2 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

First off, I just want to say my fico has the worst login procedure of all time! (8th account here)

So my situation is getting a little bad...I am about to finish my graduate degree but fafsa has stopped with the gov loans due to academic reasons? (but I can still graduate?) So this semester I had to pick up the tab for my classes (3.5k) on my credit card. Next semester is my last and I need to do that same.

Now, I bought a house along with some credit cards earlier this year so my inquiries have kind of piled up. I can make a monthly for the 3.5k to pay it off in the 15 month I on my newly given CC but I cannot make the next 3.5k for next semester.

So what are my options now? Get a new credit card with hopefully another 15month 0% or get a personal loan?

Ouch. That's rough. To pay off 3.5k in 15 months would be 233 a month. Can you squeeze out any more than that per month to save ahead for next semester? Or pay off this semester early so that you can finance next semester on the same 0% promo? I'm grasping at straws here. If I was that close to my graduate degree, I would be begging, borrowing, or whatever to get it done (and for the record, I absolutely hate being in debt, but I think this is THAT important). I wish I had better advice to give. I hope someone here will have better answers than I. Good luck to you, Captain!

Message 3 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Because you already have a house, and assuming your not looking to move or refinance in the coming year or two, I would go with whatever the cheapest possible option is. Most likely, it will be a CC with an interest free promo.
Message 4 of 23
notpaul
Regular Contributor

Personally I'd take a year off, study a lot and work on some research projects, and reenter the program when I felt more prepared for success. There are a lot of personal reasons people need time away from school, there shouldn't be any shame with it. If its for academic reasons, especially if its a graduate program, you could be digging yourself into a bigger hole as you may not be able to graduate. They often require a B+ average, with no course lower than a B-, which is higher than the fafsa loan requirement.
6/15 DC BK7, starting EQ FICO score 563

2/16 FICO EQ 661. TU 653, EX 660
Current CC Accounts: Capital One QS1 500; Overstock 1300; Care Credit 5000; Barclay Rewards MC 1300; JCPenney 3500; Amazon 3500; WalMart 3500; Target 500; PenFed Promise Visa 2000; PenFed CLOC 500; NFCU Flagship 12500; NFCU Platinum 8500; Credit One 1000.
Message 5 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ya I hear you guys...will see next Janurary if I can secure an even higher 0% time limit for the second semester. About delaying it...that not gonna happen, Ive been at it for 3.5 years now. So no personal loans worth that low amount?

Edit: my profile is 2% utilization, 7 cards, 750s mostly except for experian, opened 3 cards this years hence why im weary of opening again.

Message 6 of 23
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Ya I hear you guys...will see next Janurary if I can secure an even higher 0% time limit for the second semester. About delaying it...that not gonna happen, Ive been at it for 3.5 years now. So no personal loans worth that low amount?

Edit: my profile is 2% utilization, 7 cards, 750s mostly except for experian, opened 3 cards this years hence why im weary of opening again.

Please list out the cards you already have, including which bank they are with and the current credit line.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 7 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

You got me there....uhh... Discover IT (5k) Amazon (2.5k) Citi platinum (5k) BOA cash rewards (5k), Chase freedom (9.1k), TD cash rewards (4k), captial 1 venture (10k), Barclay (7.5k), I guess thats 8. But only BOA and Citi have the 0% balance transfer offers and capital 1 has the debt on it for 15 months

Message 8 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you made an attempt at the financial aid office to deal with this? Squeaky wheel gets the oil. You are almost ready to graduate? I wouldnt take a year off over 3 grand. Go to the financial aid office and speak with them as they may be able to make a payment plan with you, usually in 4 or 5 payments.  You still should be able to get more unsubsidized loans though, if not, then just get a private loan if your cc util is high. I would NOT be charging tuition even if its at 0 percent. Too risky. Needs to be separate. Unless you know for a fact you are getting a job with specific income. Just my 2 cents.

Sounds like your GPA may have dropped.  You gotta buddy up with the teachers and do all the b$*% work you can for extra credit. Its how life goes.

I would be filling out a boilerplate essay for some scholarships. They start at $20 and go up to the thousands. You would be shocked at the amount of free money out there. But it gets tough. Believe me, I was living a time where ramen noodles were a luxury!

How hard of a time will you have getting a job post grad? 3500 a semester sounds reasonable  to me but living expenses are not cheap.

This is worthy of gofundme if it comes to it. WIth your credit you shouldnt have a problem getting this covered privately, but the interest may cost ya.

Message 9 of 23
Pway
Valued Contributor

I understand where you are coming from with tuition to a certain point.  I refuse to put my tuition on my credit cards, I will save up the money to attend school again.  This is a big no in my book, I will take out loans all day but credit cards is not wise when it comes to tuition.  I am out of school right now because I have ran out of federal aid and loans will not cover the whole tuition balance, so I will return to school one day.

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.