cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In need of advice!!! Discover Recon failed.

tag
hardworker77
Contributor

In need of advice!!! Discover Recon failed.

Today I went on the Discover website to check pre-approved offers. Well usually I don't have any, but today 2 popped up. The More and Open Road Card. I was shocked. Anyway I filled out the application for the More card, and bam DECLINED!!!! Why???? Well it's because 3 medical collections on my EQ file. Keep in mind that I pay this bills every month all are 2 years old. So I called the backdoor # and get a nice CSR. She tells me that she can't re summit the application. Huh???? Doesn't sound like a Credit Analysts or Underwriter to me. Anyway told me to reapply in 6 months??? Do you guys think that I should try for another Recon. I've already bit the bullet and took the inquiry.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Re: In need of advice!!! Discover Recon failed.

You should know by now that preapproval is meaningless. Preapproval does not mean guaranteed approval.

3 COs on a credit report is a deal braker. Call the backdoor number listed on this forum, but don't get your hopes up.

Message 2 of 10
snake1212
Established Member

Discover is getting real tricky.  When you put your information in to check the pre-approvals the 2 that popped up were just recommended offers.  People started noticing on the forums that it doesn't say Congratulations you have been pre-approved it just says recommended offers.  If you clicked on the page that said view all offers it would of said sorry you don't have any offers.  I would try another recon and see if the analyst is more willing to work with you.

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP, Amex PRG, USAA Platinum Cash Reward, DCU Platinum, Barclay Apple
Message 3 of 10
hardworker77
Contributor

Thanks you guys....I will call in the a.m. maybe I'll get a nicer CSR. I don't think that she was an Underwriter or CA. Maybe I need to find another #.

Message 4 of 10
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@hardworker77 wrote:

Thanks you guys....I will call in the a.m. maybe I'll get a nicer CSR. I don't think that she was an Underwriter or CA. Maybe I need to find another #.

I had to recon twice before approval with them, always worth a shot!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 5 of 10
CreditPacMan
Established Contributor

When I applied last week, I got instant denial as well. I called the next and requested that I speak to a manager immediately without even explaining why I was calling. The managers had a meeting at that time so they took my phone number and about an hour later a manager called me. She tried to explain the same reasons that I already knew! She basically said you're history with current creditors is so short ( I had opened 4 new accounts just in May) .. but when she knew I'm a senior at college she put me on hold and came back with approval. That was the first nice manager I had ever talked to from Discover... usually they're not nice!

Current Cards:
Message 6 of 10
hardworker77
Contributor

Oh well. Called today and was told to pay collections off first and than they would approve me.. I guess I won't be a Discover Card holder anytime soon. Thanks for the advice.

Message 7 of 10
Smug
Established Contributor

I had 3 CO when I was approved, so that might not be the reason... Just saying...
Experian® 808/Equifax® ?/TransUnion® 810
Baddies Experian® clean/Equifax® 1/TransUnion® Clean
Last CLI 6-13-2013
Total Credit $121,190.00
Goal 780!
Message 8 of 10
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Well at least you know in 6 months you'll be a cardholder! Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 9 of 10
migo13
Contributor

What number did you call?

I called 888-676-3695 after being denied, have paid all collections/charge-offs as well, and the guy told me I could reapply at a later date. How exactly do you approach the recon? Did I do something incorrectly?

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.