Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inconsistent payment methods

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Inconsistent payment methods

I am curious what the consensus is of the community is as to the consequence of inconsistent payment methods. In other words someone who uses the same payment method every month for years, will they be viewed differently than someone who sometimes mails a check, sometimes makes a payment at a branch, but always makes their payments? Any thoughts from anyone? Effect of cash payments effect of using different payment methods on an account?
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Inconsistent payment methods

@Anonymous wrote:
I am curious what the consensus is of the community is as to the consequence of inconsistent payment methods. In other words someone who uses the same payment method every month for years, will they be viewed differently than someone who sometimes mails a check, sometimes makes a payment at a branch, but always makes their payments? Any thoughts from anyone? Effect of cash payments effect of using different payment methods on an account?

I don't sending a check in the mail vs paying with a check at the branch that should make a difference.   A variant is when different payment accounts are used, the person pays the bill using Bank A, then another month Bank B and then Bank C.    IMO that's unlikely to cause AA in itself, but if there are other reasons for concern, multiple payment sources may cause some AML team to look more closely.

Cash payments, especially large ones, may get unwanted attention.

Basically, banks pay more attention to things that don't look normal.   Sometimes paying by check in person vs mailing it in is not sufficiently strange.   Giving the teller payments from 10 different banks, with a chunk in cash, is a little more unusual!

Message 2 of 12
NRB525
Super Contributor

In my mind, there is benefit to being on autopay, and for scheduling your payment, because the CCC algorithm can see that planned payment. Whether that actually makes a difference I cannot say. 

But sending a check, or pushing a payment from your bank are fine, unless the payment is delayed. 

As as soon as whatever payment path you chose has posted, it’s just another payment and that is why the CCC gives you several options to make payments: they just want their money.  

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 3 of 12
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

You could probably drop it off by carrier pigeon. AAsmileysnicker.gif

As long as they get their money, on time, it's all good. 

Some of my accounts allow me to register 3-4 payment source banks so I don't think even multiple banks would spook them too much.

It is the digital age after-all, many people have multiple bank accounts.

CHEERS

Message 4 of 12
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Pikaboo-icu wrote:

It is the digital age after-all, many people have multiple bank accounts.

I was wondering how widespread it really is (like looking at MyFico people have LOTS of cards, but in the general population the number is much less!)

I found https://www.gobankingrates.com/banking/banks/how-many-bank-accounts-americans-have/    Not sure of the quality, sample size is 2000, and 50% have accounts at just one bank, 50% have more  (with 2 being the most common).   So if we trust this survey, yes, looks like it is now pretty common!

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

So none of you think it figures into the internal risk algorithms or anything of that nature?
Message 6 of 12
Andypanda
Established Contributor

On all of my accounts ( capq1, Citi Costco, target red card, and discover)  I make payments from 2 different Wells Fargo accounts. Some of they acounts, they put a 8 day hold until they credited the available balance after the first payment, but no issues since then.

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

As long as they’re getting paid, they likely don’t care. 

Message 8 of 12
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Paying in cash when the payment is large might put a cardholder on a watch list.  Bad guys use cash to hide the source of the money, and banks are sensitive to that.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hahaha.. I have been chasing bank SUB's for the past two plus years and have numerous savings and checking accounts and I pay my CC's off multiple times a month using what ever account needs some activity. I haven't seen any AA yet...

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.