Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interesting APR reduction calls

tag
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

Re: Interesting APR reduction calls

After the new banking laws changed, they had to make up for lost income somehow. Thier rebutle was to raise interest rates to offset the reduction in fees they could collect.

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 11 of 19
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

I don't think banks, in general, can afford to have low aprs.  They have shareholders to pay dividends to.  The credit unions, however, is where you might find a decent APR.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

A few others with low rates include USAA 6.9%, Simmons 7.5% and State Dept FCU 6.99% including rewards.

Message 13 of 19
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

A few others with low rates include USAA 6.9%, Simmons 7.5% and State Dept FCU 6.99% including rewards.

My USAA card is way more than that at 17.9%.  I did have a lower credit score when I got that card, however.  My SDFCU card is 8.99%.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 14 of 19
ComputerWizMaster
New Contributor

My Bank of America Upromise card has been @ 9.24% for a couple of years now. I think a lot of banks are going with very high aprs as the new card act makes it very hard to raise rates later.
Feb. 2012: TU: 677 EQ: 647 EX: 666
Aug. 2013: TU: 729 EQ: 726 EX: 697
Goal 2013+: 720+ All Three
Message 15 of 19
SwampSystems
Frequent Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

* Chase Freedom - Denied without giving me a reason. Said they will periodically review the account. Stays at 17.99%.

A CSR at Chase Card Services informed me that this only applies to cards issued prior to the CARD Act of 2009, and that there is no way to change my APR other than to close my card and re-apply. Not certain how much truth there is to this.

Message 16 of 19
lanc
Regular Contributor

I may be lucky but I think with having a diverse portfolio of prime cards theres always a bt offer.  I have Chase Freedom/Discover More/Citi and anytime I've needed to carry a balance I charge it to crap1 1.5% and bt it over and the 2-3% offsets the 0% apr for 12 months.  I keep telling myself I need a low apr card just in case but it seems like theres always an offer available if you don't normally carry balances.

Message 17 of 19
aloush11
Regular Contributor

My friend was in the same situation, they wanted to send a certified letter to Chase in Chicago... I thought it was really odd. I ended up calling The Chase Exc office and they appoligezed alot and dropped the interest from 28.99% (btw was never late and has had the account since 1999!) to 12.99%!!!!

Message 18 of 19
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@lanc wrote:

I may be lucky but I think with having a diverse portfolio of prime cards theres always a bt offer.  I have Chase Freedom/Discover More/Citi and anytime I've needed to carry a balance I charge it to crap1 1.5% and bt it over and the 2-3% offsets the 0% apr for 12 months.  I keep telling myself I need a low apr card just in case but it seems like theres always an offer available if you don't normally carry balances.

I know that Citi loves to give out BT offer (and sometime purchase offer) if you pay on time.

@aloush11 wrote:

My friend was in the same situation, they wanted to send a certified letter to Chase in Chicago... I thought it was really odd. I ended up calling The Chase Exc office and they appoligezed alot and dropped the interest from 28.99% (btw was never late and has had the account since 1999!) to 12.99%!!!!

Interesting info. Will keep that in mind.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.