cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is AMEX Premier Rewards Gold worth the annual fee?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is AMEX Premier Rewards Gold worth the annual fee?

Yes, you earn the $100 airline credit right off the bat, but how do you use it? Is it worth the $195 AF?

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is AMEX Premier Rewards Gold worth the annual fee?

I apped for it and was approved since it was free the first year.. I couldn't resist the 50k mr offer I got
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

For me it was.

$100.00 Airfare credit

2x AU ($35.00 a piece on the green)

Green had a $95 AF + $35 per AU so right off the bat I was better off.

As for the Airfare credit, but AA gift cards. As long as you travel at all you will use it. If you do not want GC, then when you charge Baggage fees, inflight snacks, etc you get it back that way.

If you do not travel at all, then no, it is not worth it.

Message 3 of 12
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

We can't answer that as you will just get opinions..  You have to weigh that question for yourself whether you can benefit from the card such as sign-up bonus, $100 travel reimbursement and other perks the card offers then make your decision.  Read up on MR's as well before making a decision and how to BEST utilize them and see if they are for you

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, you earn the $100 airline credit right off the bat, but how do you use it? Is it worth the $195 AF?

The answer to this question will also apply to any and all credit cards. A credit card is worth it to the cardholder if the rewards and functionality of the card meet the spending habits and details for the user. Take myself for example, two of the cards I have come with a high AF, the Amex Platinum and Luxury Black Card. Based on how much I put through my cards each year, the traveling that I do and how I can maximize the rewards for each of these cards, the AF is well worth it to me. Someone that does not spend a lot on their cards, doesn't really travel, would probably not find these cards or even the PRG worth the AF. What card is good for one person might not be good for the next.

In other words, look how you earn points, how you would use the rewards and the other benefits of the card and go from there.

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you had to pay $35 per authorized user for the PRG? And they give you airline credit for airline gift cards?

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe you get up to (5?) AU cards for free

Message 7 of 12
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Did you had to pay $35 per authorized user for the PRG? And they give you airline credit for airline gift cards?

No, there's no additional fee for AU cards on the PRG (I think it's actually the first five are at no cost). 

You'll need to do a google search on 'American Express Airline credit gift card'... there's lots of information out there on ways around it.  Smiley Wink

One thing, though, whatever method you chose be sure to designate your airline with Amex before you make the purchase... this has to be set up in advance for the reimbursement to take place (you're only allowed to change it once per year).

I'll say that for myself, once the airline reimbursement is considered, the PRG hands-down beats the Green card.  Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Even if you take one trip per year it's usually worth the annual fee. 

• There're four bonus categories on spend, and one regular category. 
  • You get the $100 annual airline credit like you mentioned to go towards checked bags, food, etc.
  • You get a free room upgrade upon arrival, usually guaranteed, whereas you have to ask with an average card. 
  • If you stay in the proper hotels, you get a $75 credit towards whatever you want basically. 
  • You get roadside assistance for free, so throw away your AAA yearly payment. 

So if you go on one trip, and then happen to get a flat tire on your way to work one day, the annual fee more than pays for itself. 

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I currently have a CSP which I'm not getting much out of as I have used the bonus points. How long do I need to wait before I do a PC? I am ready for the PRG to be my main card.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.