Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Discover Churnable?

tag
rprisco
Regular Contributor

Is Discover Churnable?

Ok, so I have 2 discover cards. The 1st started as secured and because it's almost 2 years old, I want to keep this card for the age.

Second card opened in April last year, with cashback match. I like the cashback match, lol.

Was thinking of transferring all cl from 2nd card to 1st after the CB match posts and closing the card.

Then doing prequal for hopeful decent offer. Anyone try this? Is it possible?
Current Scores as of 8/18/17 all FICO 8 EQ: 695 EX: 673 *fico2 699 TU:645 bio has more.
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is Discover Churnable?

I got a cash back match a second time, yes.. 2 cards at a time max and 12 months between apps the only restrictions I’m aware of...
Message 2 of 16
wasCB14
Super Contributor

How much would you spend in a year on the cashback match card?

Would it be a 5%/1% card, a 1.5% card, or some other option I may not be aware of?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 3 of 16
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

Do like I do.

i get an IT card then DW. 

Me another, then DW.

Then I combine the first into the second and app for another. Then DW does this.

Always have a Discover cash back match running for the 10%.

DW doesn’t care about any of this and could care less about rewards. She says “Tell me what to use and i’ll Use it”.

So I always have 2%/10% from her spend and she feels no stress. 😎 

NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover doesn’t offer fixed bonuses, only usage-based rewards, so it’s not really churning. They also get the benefit of lower risk customers having their card for at least a year which allows their higher risk buckets to be more acceptable to investors. It’s a win for Discover either way. 

Message 5 of 16
rprisco
Regular Contributor

Thanks everyone for the replies. Looking forward to another year of 10% on groceries, gas and restaurants!
Current Scores as of 8/18/17 all FICO 8 EQ: 695 EX: 673 *fico2 699 TU:645 bio has more.
Message 6 of 16
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Just ask @AverageJoesCredit =)

But yes, Discover is "churnable" for the infamous/famous Double Cashback....... 10% back is amazing... but another option is the Miles Card which ends up being a total of 3% back (1.5% doubled) if you want a flat 3% across all purchases..

If i wasn't trying to garden.. its tempting even for me to get a second whirl or helping of Miss Disco...

Trying to get some HP to age... 

Message 7 of 16
rprisco
Regular Contributor

I actually thought of the miles card, for the 3% back on everything, for me the 5% (10%) card is a better value. I spend huge in gas, grocery and eating out.

Just got the WF Propel for the 3%, which is a nice supplement to Disco.
Message 8 of 16
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Only reason I brought it up was that a lot of folks even here don't think of it as an option.... but as always YCMV...

Just wanting to bring a little bit of attention to it as an option if going for another double cashback....

-J

Message 9 of 16
rprisco
Regular Contributor

@joltdude Very much appreciated!
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.