cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is This The Only 5% Grocery Card Including Walmart?

tag
NoHardLimits
Established Contributor

Re: Is This The Only 5% Grocery Card Including Walmart?

I use the US Bank Shopper Cash rewards card both in-store at a Walmart Supercenter and also for Walmart+ deliveries.  My monthly spend is not consistent, but the quarterly spend hovers right around $1500.  If I'm a little shy of $1500 for a particular quarter, I add an electronic Walmart gift card to true it up to exactly $1500.  At Neighborhood Markets, I use an Amex "old" Blue Cash card which codes as 5% for groceries.

Before I applied for the Shopper Cash rewards, I thought about getting the Capital One Walmart card instead since it has no annual fee.  After overthinking the choice for about a month, I concluded that the extra 1% in rewards plus the $250 signup bonus would offset the annual fee for roughly 8 years (negative $35 per year after the first year).  I also figured that I had a better chance at a higher starting limit with US Bank.  USB gave me $20k, and I seriously doubt that the Cap1 Walmart would have come anywhere close to that.

If the Cap1 card gave 5% for in-store purchases beyond just the first year, I might have made a different choice.  If I spent a lot more than $1500 per quarter, that would also have impacted my decision.  If Walmart took Google Pay, I would simply use my Altitude Reserve card and not bothered applying for either the Shopper Cash or the Cap1 card.

Sept 2024 Scorecard: Clean, Thick, Mature, New Revolver
FICO8:
FICO9:
VantageScore3:
Inquiries (n/12, n/24):
AAoA: 11 yrs | AoORA: 37 yrs | AoYRA: less than 1 yr | New Accounts: 1/6, 1/12, 3/24 | Util: 1% | DTI: 1%
Message 11 of 15
Rogue46
Established Contributor

Amex blue cash preferred gives 6% on groceries but it's capped at $6k annually. And has a $95 AF..

I don't know how it codes at Walmart (I don't shop there)

Message 12 of 15
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Rogue46 wrote:

Amex blue cash preferred gives 6% on groceries but it's capped at $6k annually. And has a $95 AF..

I don't know how it codes at Walmart (I don't shop there)

Sadly the BCP excludes Walmart. Smiley Sad

Message 13 of 15
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

Lastly, you can always buy Walmart gift cards at raise or cardcash to use in-store.  The discount on Walmart cards is very low (think 0.5% if you are lucky).  But if you have another credit card that gets 3-5% for online spend, you get the cash back along with the small discount.  

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 14 of 15
Rockysocks
Frequent Contributor

I appreciate everyone's responses! So what I'm concluding is that this card is quite possibly "the only known non-georestricted, non-rotating, no annual fee 5%" in store Walmart card that doesn't involve a mobile wallet. Smiley Happy Interesting! If anyone has any other suggestions or experiences from using the card, please share!

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.