cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is World Mastercard a Cap One Card Upgrade?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is World Mastercard a Cap One Card Upgrade?

I received an email today from Capital One that they have "upgraded" my card to a new World MasterCard.  I started with a Platinum card out of bankruptcy about a year again and then called and flipped to a Quicksilver card a few months after.  Is this World MasterCard worth accepting from them, wasn't sure what I would gain or loose over my current Quicksilver. 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is This Really a Cap One Card Upgrade?

@Anonymous wrote:

I received an email today from Capital One that they have "upgraded" my card to a new World MasterCard.  I started with a Platinum card out of bankruptcy about a year again and then called and flipped to a Quicksilver card a few months after.  Is this World MasterCard worth accepting from them, wasn't sure what I would gain or loose over my current Quicksilver. 

World MasterCard is a level of MasterCard. It is an upgrade in that there are a few additional benefits of World over Platinum; however, your card will still be a Quicksilver. Instead of a Platinum MasterCard you will have a World MasterCard.  Please see the MasterCard US website for additional details of the benefits you may get with this upgrade; however, you will need to review the guide to benefits that Capital One will send to you for your account's specific benefits.

In the hierarchy of MasterCard you start out at Standard/Classic--->Gold--->Platinum--->World--->World Elite. With Visa it is Classic--->Gold--->Platinum--->Signature--->Infinite

Notice that you do not see many Standard/Classic or Gold Visa/MasterCards anymore? It is partially because banks and credit unions earn a fee from merchants anytime you make a purchase. The higher level the card used to make the purchase = the higher fee the banks/credit unions earn. Therefore, banks and credit unions love to issue reward cards especially in higher levels in order to earn more revenue. This is why most rewards cards are World or World Elite (Visa Signature). 

The upgrade has already occurred. There is nothing for you to accept or decline. Your account is still Quicksilver and you still earn 1.5% cash back. All that should change is that your new card will arrive with the word "world" printed on the card somewhere. 

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for this excellent info!  Happy to read I will gain benefits and not miss out on the 1.5% cash back.

World MasterCard is a level of MasterCard. It is an upgrade in that there are a few additional benefits of World over Platinum; however, your card will still be a Quicksilver. Instead of a Platinum MasterCard you will have a World MasterCard.  Please see the MasterCard US website for additional details of the benefits you may get with this upgrade; however, you will need to review the guide to benefits that Capital One will send to you for your account's specific benefits.

The upgrade has already occurred. There is nothing for you to accept or decline. Your account is still Quicksilver and you still earn 1.5% cash back. All that should change is that your new card will arrive with the word "world" printed on the card somewhere

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

(EDIT: someone else who is more familiar replied as I was writing this, but I dont feel like erasing it)

Im not familiar with the World Mastercard(tm) benefits, but I suppose you could google them and see if they look worthwhile.  I'd guess it is similar to Visa Signature(tm).  If nothing else, it can seem a bit more prestigious. Smiley Happy

Not to change the subject, but I didnt think they were still issuing Mastercards.  Is it possible for them to switch me to a mastercard(it would be a world)?  I ask because I have only one(Barclays), which I want to cancel ASAP....once I have another mastercard.  

Climbing, you are movin on up, I think it's something to be proud of, but this is my first day of returning after a long ban of the board(from me lol), so I feel like being cautious, and would love if others helped you soon also.  

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Im not familiar with the World Mastercard(tm) benefits, but I suppose you could google them and see if they look worthwhile.  I'd guess it is similar to Visa Signature(tm).  If nothing else, it can seem a bit more prestigious. Smiley Happy

Not to change the subject, but I didnt think they were still issuing Mastercards.  Is it possible for them to switch me to a mastercard(it would be a world)?  I ask because I have only one(Barclays), which I want to cancel ASAP....once I have another mastercard.  

Climbing, you are movin on up, I think it's something to be proud of, but this is my first day of returning after a long ban of the board(from me lol), so I feel like being cautious, and would love if others helped you soon also.  

Capital One keeps going back and forth between MasterCard and Visa. After a stint with Visa they have returned to issuing MasterCard. Capital One does not switch networks, unfortunately; therefore your Visa will remain until which time they decide to change it (unlikely unless they ink a deal with one network over the other similar to what Chase and Citibank have both done). 

Message 5 of 10
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
In the hierarchy of MasterCard you start out at Standard/Classic--->Gold--->Platinum--->World--->World Elite. With Visa it is Classic--->Gold--->Platinum--->Signature--->Signature Preferred?--->Infinite

Isn't Visa Signature Preferred a thing? Or is that just something Chase and maybe other banks use internally?

I think my Hyatt is one.

*And, generally, I think most V/MC benefits are overrated vs. what issuers provide.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 6 of 10
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote
:
All that should change is that your new card will arrive with the word "world" printed on the card somewhere. 

@Anonymous, the other thing you'll see changed is the security code on the back of the card. And you may get a new expiration date.

Message 7 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@HeavenOhio wrote:

@Anonymous wrote
:
All that should change is that your new card will arrive with the word "world" printed on the card somewhere. 

@Anonymous, the other thing you'll see changed is the security code on the back of the card. And you may get a new expiration date.

The security code is generated from an issuer-specific code, account number and expiration date, so if the expiration date changes the security code will as well.  HeavenOhio, do issuers use a different issuer code for the different levels of cards?

Message 8 of 10
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

I can't really say I understand the concept of issuer codes, but I can say that I've never had my card number change except in cases of fraud or hacks. Product changes, upgrades, and requested replacements due to damage or wear have always resulted in a new security code. And almost all the time, there's been a new expiration date

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah so this explains why my DC with a low limit is a WEMC, helps offset the 2% rewards for Citi. Someone told me most were classified as world elite in another post so this makes sense.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.