cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it embarrasing using AMEX at a fast food?

tag
DI
Super Contributor

Is it embarrasing using AMEX at a fast food?

Are there certain places you won't use a particular card at?
Message 1 of 109
108 REPLIES 108
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is it embarrasing using AMEX at a fast food?

I don't think the place is as much of an issue for me as the amount.

There have been times I got somewhere and bought something that was 75 cents or $1.50 and only then discovered NO CASH.  I admit I felt a little sheepish pulling out a credit card for such a small purchase amount.

Message 2 of 109
Gnut
Established Member

I really dont like having cash on hand for the simple fact that if I have money in my pocket I will spend it quick on anything. When I go to fast food places I use my cards including my amex. Just this week I saw a guy in front of me pay with his amex at taco bell. No biggie.
Message 3 of 109
FocusOnFICO
Regular Contributor

DI---great question.  It's usually the amount.  I would prefer to get $ back on my Blue Cash or PFed, but if it's only a few dollars, I usually use cash.

Starting Score: TU 766 EQ 788
Current Score: TU 788 EQ 811
Goal Score: TU 800 EQ 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 109
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have no shame in where I choose to use a credit card, regarless of purchase amount.

One of my cards is a Corporate card...you better believe I have charged $1.50 on that card if I was away on business.  It's the best way to track expenses, and guarantee that my employer will not have to reimburse me money...they just pay the bill at the end of the month.

If I'm away on business and happened to go to McDonalds for lunch (although, not my first choice), I would absolutely put it on my corporate card! 

If I saw someone using a credit card in a less-than-desirable location or for a super-small purchase, I would just assume it was someone on a business trip!

Message 5 of 109
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

I use my credit cards for just about everything, except for maybe the <$3 purchases.  I use my B of A Upromise MC for most purchases to earn bucks for my kids' future education, and use my AmEx at restaurants to get a 3% rebate.  I don't have any qualms about using it anywhere.  Of course, I don't patronize any places that would be called unseemly....

I go to an ATM only once every 2 months and pull out $200 for both me and my DW.  That's how infrequently we use cash.

Message 6 of 109
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I don't flinch at using any of my cards anywhere. If they have a problem with it, they can cancel me. I have plenty of back-ups. I really don't feel like worrying about some individual or some computer program sitting in judgment on my shopping habits.

However, with AmEx, you do want to let them know if you're going to use it outside of your metropolitan area. Also, if you've been using it for Mickey D's and WalMart runs, I'd give them a call before you go empty out Best Buy or something.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 109
CHARGE_IT
Regular Contributor

There is a very real reason why the term "cashless society" was coined.  We are not quite there yet, or most are not. I am however. I never spend money, and I mean never. (I don't get colds and flu all the time either)

I don't like to get change. It ends up in containers for years. It is a  nuisance to me.

I know categorically what I spend each month and I do use that info to tweak my habits.

Certainly there is no harm in purchasing with a product made for purchasing.

CI

Message Edited by CHARGE_IT on 08-22-2009 12:13 AM
Message 8 of 109
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Hmm. I wonder if fast food joints are on that magic list of places where they are allowed to take your card but you are pilloried for using it there. Good old AMEX with there data mining campaign...
Message 9 of 109
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I mentioned I tend to cringe a bit at using a CC for small amounts, like $1.50, this is because I understand the merchant has certain fees.  Sometimes this includes a transaction fee which might be 30-40 cents, plus the discount fee.

So, if I make a $1.50 purchase and they incur a 35 cent transaction fee plus 2-3% discount fee (very likely if using reward cards), then this merchant has taken a real hit on the sale.

I always like to create win-win scenarios.  I enjoy the convenience of credit cards.  I enjoy the convenience and services of the merchants I shop.  I want all to profit.  Thus I kick myself when I find that I need to charge such a small amount.

Message 10 of 109
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.