Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it just me?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it just me?

I just recently called one of my credit card companies asking them is it a hard or a soft pull for a CLI the young lady I was talking to got quite lol. It's seems like allot of these reps that work for these credit card companies don't have a clue I feel like I know more then them.
Message Edited by mjbfan79 on 02-26-2009 08:24 AM
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Re: Is it just me?

You are right.
Message 2 of 21
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

The CSR at NFCU informed me my instant approval for a CLI was a hard pull on my CRs. It most certainly wasn't, but at least she knew what a hard pull was.

Or maybe not. It was obviously a soft pull. 

Here we go again...
Message 3 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FretlessMayhem wrote:

The CSR at NFCU informed me my instant approval for a CLI was a hard pull on my CRs. It most certainly wasn't, but at least she knew what a hard pull was.

Or maybe not. It was obviously a soft pull. 

When you call allot of them they don't no the difference between a soft or hard pull I'm like how did some of you get these jobs lol

Message 4 of 21
hawkeye33
Regular Contributor

Well, to be fair to the reps themselves, it probably wasn't a condition of their employment. Their 'biz' is contact center work, not credit expertise/counseling. Many of them are probably working their way through college or trying to figure out 'what they want to be when they grow up'.

Contact center is high turnover, so you frequently get new reps on the phones. The 'shame on you' is probably deserved by the CC company, and specifically their contact center operations group who does either their scripting or maintains their CSR content systems. To put CSRs in a position to answer customer inquiries without knowing basic credit card terminology and process is pretty weak.

Now, it COULD be a rep who somehow made it through training and is just a total....well....maybe a few points below 500 on the cognitive FICO scale, but more likely, it's poor training and/or scripting by the company.

Smiley Tongue

Message 5 of 21
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

how did some of you get these jobs

There are three basic requirements. 

Call Center Job Description. 

1.    Work for low wages.

2.    Be able to read a script written in the English language.

2a.  Understanding the script or the consumer is not required.

3  Work for low wages. 

Smiley Tongue

Message 6 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

To be fair, I bet they don't get asked all that often.  Maybe it is more often now that credit standards are getting tighter.  But still.. My parents have scores in the 800s and don't have a clue what a hard pull or soft pull is, not even that applying for credit can hurt your score.
Message 7 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Talked to quite a few representatives from different companies over last month and my general impression is that most of them don't know the difference between hard and soft pull. Some do, but it looks like they use different terminology, because one of the reps said: "this is what commonly called a soft pull". Most of the credit analysts didn't know that EX stopped offering FICO scores either.
Message 8 of 21
CHARGE_IT
Regular Contributor

I've read these kind of statements on MyFico before. It is really naive not to realize that most of the acronymic conversation here is unique to the forum type. Go visit a hot rod forum and see if you understand half of what is posted. Then change one little criteria for the forum and you will be lost again.

You are in the world of the internet, not the real world. Not realizing this makes me think you might be spending too much time here. Go visit some language forums perhaps.

In the mean time visit a call center and I am sure you will wonder what the heck they are talking about. (not Hindi, either)

What's the real point in not knowing hard from soft? In the form it was presented it was out of context and I suspect you were trying to pass as being a big money guy/gal.

The best words to use are the ones understood and that get the job done; if you want to keep talking forum lingo, it is your business for sure.

CI

Message 9 of 21
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

@CHARGE_IT wrote:

I've read these kind of statements on MyFico before. It is really naive not to realize that most of the acronymic conversation here is unique to the forum type.

While that is true, I would expect the CSRs of major CCCs to know a little more.  Chase, for example, allways tell me that a CLI will result in an inquiry on my CR.  It is rerally their bosses' job to teach them this sort of stuff

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.