Is my Cap1 SavorOne bucketed?

tag
omgitsMatt
Frequent Contributor

Re: Is my Cap1 SavorOne bucketed?

@Anonymous wrote:

@omgitsMatt wrote:
The like heavy use and PIF.

Maybe I'll get a good response from carrying a balance and making large payments too?

Thoughts?

I can tell you from experience growing my $300 Platinum to a $8250 QS that they gave me $2K increases after I paid off a large balance that I carried for 2 or 3 months. 

Out of curiosity, how did you specifically do that? I'm sure we've all read a 100 threads on the infamous Cap1 bucket for starter cards, but that feels like a lot of success breaking that bucket in relation to others.

Beyond heavy use and PIF, what did you do different?

And what did your profile look like when you first acquired? I'm trying to get a feel for how deeply bucketed you could of been.

Because that's pretty impressive growth, that's a lot of persistance.

Message 11 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@omgitsMatt wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@omgitsMatt wrote:

Maybe I'll get a good response from carrying a balance and making large payments too?

Thoughts?

I can tell you from experience growing my $300 Platinum to a $8250 QS that they gave me $2K increases after I paid off a large balance that I carried for 2 or 3 months. 

Out of curiosity, how did you specifically do that? I'm sure we've all read a 100 threads on the infamous Cap1 bucket for starter cards, but that feels like a lot of success breaking that bucket in relation to others.

And what did your profile look like when you first acquired? I'm trying to get a feel for how deeply bucketed you could of been.

I'm definitely an outlier. That was my first card approved after my BK. I don't even know what my scores were but I can tell you I filed BK in 2010, student loans defaulted and Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon, and AT&T all went to collections between 2011 and 2014 when I got the card and I had no other positive history so my credit was AWFUL. 

I opened the card, $300 with Steps. Steps increase brought me to $500. I opened and merged two more Platinum cards into it, one was $750 and the other was $2000 which brought it to $3250 12/2016. CLI of $3K was granted 7/2017, CLI of $2K was granted 3/2018 for a total of $8250. I stopped asking for CLIs since I gave the card the SD treatment. 

I used the card and PIF most of the time - I had a balance that I had to pay off over the course of a few months and was assessed interest twice. High balance of $2125 happened 7/2017. 

I think my success had a lot to do with my normal consumer behaviors at the time. I only had cards with Capital One until I added Ollo 11/2017 so they got all of spend and I managed my accounts very well. I mean I even broke the mold back in June with a $10K SavorOne approval despite my 11/24 status at the time (with a new account showing up 3 days before I did that app no less). 

Capital One really likes something about my profile. If I had to guess, it's my low $18K income telling them that the chances I'll have to carry a balance and pay interest are very high compared to someone with even a $30K income. 

Ironically though, my QS never gets BT offers and was never upgraded to WEMC either despite the $8250 limit. 

Actually thinking about it, I had a Kohl's card when I filed for bankruptcy that was one of three cards where the balance was zero and the lenders weren't burned - the other two were Best Buy and Amazon. 

Message 12 of 25
omgitsMatt
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@omgitsMatt wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@omgitsMatt wrote:

Thoughts?

I think my success had a lot to do with my normal consumer behaviors at the time.

Capital One really likes something about my profile. If I had to guess, it's my low $18K income telling them that the chances I'll have to carry a balance and pay interest are very high compared to someone with even a $30K income. 

I find that really interesting

Merging accounts to break out of the bucket and then fitting a profile for someone who might carry a large balance is definitely the way to increase a limit with them.

Extending just enough credit to people and trapping them with Cap1 at high interest rates is defintely their MO.

I think carrying this balance will work out well for me just before I PIF. If I'm lucky I'll dbl/triple it just before I put it away and never use it, we'll see though.

Message 13 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think that my merging cards into the old one broke the bucket. It's well-documented that merging cards doesn't work that way. My creditworthiness was increasing. I looked at my credit report and that $2K card was a $1K Steps card that ended up getting a $1K Steps increase. 

I have said for awhile that loyalty means something to Capital One and I believe my SavorOne approval shows that. I guarantee you if I wasn't an existing customer it would have been a denial. 

You probably have a decent chance of getting the increase you want but just keep your expectations low because Capital One is great at crushing people's spirits with CLIs. 

Message 14 of 25
omgitsMatt
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't think that my merging cards into the old one broke the bucket. It's well-documented that merging cards doesn't work that way. My creditworthiness was increasing. I looked at my credit report and that $2K card was a $1K Steps card that ended up getting a $1K Steps increase. 

I have said for awhile that loyalty means something to Capital One and I believe my SavorOne approval shows that. I guarantee you if I wasn't an existing customer it would have been a denial. 

You probably have a decent chance of getting the increase you want but just keep your expectations low because Capital One is great at crushing people's spirits with CLIs. 

I'd bet you're probably right, you know more about how they behave than me. There's some patterns, but not all of them are concrete.

Message 15 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Saeren is right. Cap1 responds to credit worthiness. As I started to expand my credit profile beyond my Cap1, they opened up the coffers for me. I had a measly 1K Plat MC, but then I added 3 more cards while delegating my Cap1 to 10 bucks a month subscription. They decided my 500 credit steps should have another 1K on top to 2.5K total. It's still my low limit, but its still a 150% increase. I won't hold my breath for more as I dont use it, but they will grow if you really want to be with Cap1.

Message 16 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Had my qs1 since 4/18 started at 500 increased to 1k with steps. Denied cli many times then auto increase to 2k. Again denied clis for a while then another auto increase to 4.5k. Just recently got my first requested cli but only for 500. Just strange how they do.
Message 17 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was just denied a CLI on my Cap1 QS because “recent use of this accounts current credit line is too low.” Which is one hundred percent true. I would say probably 80 bucks in the last 6 months on it. Can’t blame them.

Spend on them to make em grow!
Message 18 of 25
DoctorManhattan
Frequent Contributor

At least for me it has meant bucketed lol haven’t seen an increase since my 3 to 3500 “steps”. But many others have gotten lucky and passed that. Hopefully in a few months I can request CLI.
Message 19 of 25
Traveler101
Established Contributor

Op, and others in the same situation who are unable to get their cl to grow. Take yourself some time, and check out credit limit increases on cap1 site. 2 of the biggest contributing factors, not using enough of your credit line, and paying substantially more in payments to pay down your balance. It a very good read, and taking time to read and address those issues, you will be a lot more successful in raising your limits. Even with a marginal score at best, and everything else is in check. Just caution yourself and dont overspend to raise a limit. Swipe what you can afford. Then every 6 months hit the cli sp button
Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.