Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is score enough?

tag
EaglesFan2006
Established Contributor

Is score enough?

I just pulled my EQ here and it was 668.  My strengths were zero lates of any kind, weaknesses involved balances on cards (uttil is around 55%).  I'm still planning to pay down util, but I'm just curious where my score stands now.  At some point I'd like to add a travel card such as the Chase Marriott or Chase Disney since we are planning a trip later this year.  I know my situation will only get better by paying a few more months in terms of interest rates and limits, which is why i will still wait, but is my score enough to even qualify for a card like that now?  I do have the Chase Freedom, one year old this week.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

Re: Is score enough?

@EaglesFan2006 wrote:

I just pulled my EQ here and it was 668.  My strengths were zero lates of any kind, weaknesses involved balances on cards (uttil is around 55%).  I'm still planning to pay down util, but I'm just curious where my score stands now.  At some point I'd like to add a travel card such as the Chase Marriott or Chase Disney since we are planning a trip later this year.  I know my situation will only get better by paying a few more months in terms of interest rates and limits, which is why i will still wait, but is my score enough to even qualify for a card like that now?  I do have the Chase Freedom, one year old this week.

If your planning a trip later this year why don't you apply for a card when you bring you util down.  That is the easiest way to increase score and why not wait and give yourself the best possible chance at approval.  With your scores now you might be borderline why take the chance for HP and not get an approval.

Message 2 of 9
EaglesFan2006
Established Contributor

Thanks. I plan on waiting a bit, I was just trying to gauge where I stand now
Message 3 of 9
JonStur
Established Contributor

You will probably be in the best shape if your scores are north of 700....

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 4 of 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Util is the issue- get it down and your CS will go up.
Message 5 of 9
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@EaglesFan2006 wrote:

IMO I would say no. Your better off getting the util down below 10% first, youll be wasting INQs otherwise.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 9
myjourney
Super Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@EaglesFan2006 wrote:

IMO I would say no. Your better off getting the util down below 10% first, youll be wasting INQs otherwise.

+1 Agreed and scores / UTL aren't the only part to an approval other factors also weigh in the decision as well  INQ,AAoA,Lenght of payment history

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 7 of 9
EaglesFan2006
Established Contributor

Thanks all. I understand more things go into decisions, but the only question mark I have is util. Ill definitely wait and make that better, but I was really just curios about my overall value. Not as good as I thought, but that's okay for now!
Message 8 of 9
myjourney
Super Contributor

@EaglesFan2006 wrote:
Thanks all. I understand more things go into decisions, but the only question mark I have is util. Ill definitely wait and make that better, but I was really just curios about my overall value. Not as good as I thought, but that's okay for now!

Just wanted to say you took the general advice of many listened, absorbed it and came to a good conclusion...IMHO BRAVO and well thought out 

keep up the good work 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.