Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the Citi Dividend worth it?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is the Citi Dividend worth it?

I currently have the Citi TY Premier in the first year and plan to product change to another Citi card before the annual fee hits. Initially I was going to product change it to the DC which would give 2% back, but I already have a Cap1 QS (highest CL at 10k) for 1.5% back and don't want to throw it away. I would have PC'd the QS to Savor, but I now have the Uber card which crushes the Savor. I have the Freedom, Discover IT, and USBank Cash+ for 5% back and thought maybe the Dividend would be a good addition.

What do you guys think?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Is the Citi Dividend worth it?

Personally,  I would go for the DC card, the extra 0.5% is probably more valuable.   But as always it depends.  I very rarely find the Dividend categories useful, but you may.   Just be aware of the $50 min redemption, so, depending on categories and spend, it may take a while for you to get anything back.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi and I have p/c'd many a card. The Citi Dividend was my efforts to get away from TYPs as I did not use them as they were set up for max benefits. Took the off line Citi Dividend card for the categories. As another poster stated it depends on your spend. Finding for my small spend category cards don't fit me anymore. Take a good look at the Citi DC as has been suggested. You may tire of the Cap1 Card(s) and you would have a good fall back card.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:

I currently have the Citi TY Premier in the first year and plan to product change to another Citi card before the annual fee hits. Initially I was going to product change it to the DC which would give 2% back, but I already have a Cap1 QS (highest CL at 10k) for 1.5% back and don't want to throw it away. I would have PC'd the QS to Savor, but I now have the Uber card which crushes the Savor. I have the Freedom, Discover IT, and USBank Cash+ for 5% back and thought maybe the Dividend would be a good addition.

What do you guys think?

Why would you have to throw away your Cap One Quicksilver just because you got a better card? Just put it in the sock drawer and forget about it?  Also I would not PC the QS to Savor as the Savor has a sign up bonus.  If you want the Savor just get it.  

Here are the 2018 categories for the dividend.  Seems you can only get 300 dollars from this each quarter:

2018 Q1 Citi Dividend categories (January through March) = Gas stations & car rentals
2018 Q2 Citi Dividend categories (April through June) = Home Depot & home furnishings stores
2018 Q3 Citi Dividend categories (July through September) = Airlines & movies
2018 Q4 Citi Dividend categories (October through December) = Best Buy & department stores

Message 4 of 9
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Notice that neither restaurants nor grocery stores appear as categories in any quarter.  I consider those to be the two most useful categories on a rotating category card.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 5 of 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

Here are the 2018 categories for the dividend.  Seems you can only get 300 dollars from this each quarter:

2018 Q1 Citi Dividend categories (January through March) = Gas stations & car rentals
2018 Q2 Citi Dividend categories (April through June) = Home Depot & home furnishings stores
2018 Q4 Citi Dividend categories (October through December) = Best Buy & department stores

Yes, like Freedom (used as cashback) and Discover, the 5% categories max out at $300 a year.   The one advantage of Dividend is you can get that whole $300 in one quarter, as compared to the $75 cap on the other cards.    So, if you have a $6K spend at a home furnishing store in April, for example, this card may make sense, then you can forget it for the rest of the year.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurkerwrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

Yes, like Freedom (used as cashback) and Discover, the 5% categories max out at $300 a year.   The one advantage of Dividend is you can get that whole $300 in one quarter, as compared to the $75 cap on the other cards.    So, if you have a $6K spend at a home furnishing store in April, for example, this card may make sense, then you can forget it for the rest of the year.

So the other cards you could make an extra 180 dollars a year if you hit every 5 percent category exactly for the max each quarter over a 2 percent card.  Seems like a lot of effort for little reward. 

Message 7 of 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

So the other cards you could make an extra 180 dollars a year if you hit every 5 percent category exactly for the max each quarter over a 2 percent card.  Seems like a lot of effort for little reward. 

I agree, but generally all spending rewards are on the small side, so some may think $180 extra (best case) is worthwhile.

Also currently discover has double the first year, giving $480 extra in the best case ($600 vs $120 on a 2%) and Freedom has URs which can be worth more.  Dividend doesn't have either feature....

Message 8 of 9
minski
Established Contributor

Take a look at this year's categories. They don't change much. They didn't change at all the past few years. They only changed a little this year. Do these categories fit your spend? Yes - PC to Dividend. No - choose another option. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.