Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the Jet Blue Card Good?

tag
Repairman
Established Contributor

Is the Jet Blue Card Good?

For the people who have the current version of the Jet Blue card, are you enjoying it? Is it good?

I used to have the AMEX version back in the day, and was thinking of getting the Master Card and taking advantage of the 100,000 pts offer, but my only drawback is the $95 Annual Fee, as I wasn't looking to get any new cards with fees. I don't fly often, but when I do, Jet Blue is my preferred airline, and only 1 of 2 that I prefer to use, which is why I'm interested.

I haven't actually paid for a flight in so long I can't remember, as I always use points. It's nice to have points always at the ready, since they don't expire. Also great to have your 1st checked bag free. I haven't flown at all during the pandemic, but in "normal" times, in the past, I've flown once or twice a year. For someone like me, do you think it's worth biting the bullet and paying the $95 AF?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Is the Jet Blue Card Good?

@Repairman wrote:

For the people who have the current version of the Jet Blue card, are you enjoying it? Is it good?

I used to have the AMEX version back in the day, and was thinking of getting the VISA and taking advantage of the 100,000 pts offer, but my only drawback is the $95 Annual Fee, as I wasn't looking to get any new cards with fees. I don't fly often, but when I do, Jet Blue is my preferred airline, and only 1 of 2 that I prefer to use, which is why I'm interested.

I haven't actually paid for a flight in so long I can't remember, as I always use points. It's nice to have points always at the ready, since they don't expire. Also great to have your 1st checked bag free. I haven't flown at all during the pandemic, but in "normal" times, in the past, I've flown once or twice a year. For someone like me, do you think it's worth biting the bullet and paying the $95 AF?

I currently have the JetBlue Plus and haven't had any issues with Barclays plus the most recent SUB is a pretty decent promotion.  Keep in mind that as far as a CC network, it's not issued as a Visa, rather WMC or WEMC.  IMO, the AF pays for itself if you are a Mosaic member and you can always downgrade the card depending on your future travel plans.  

IIRC, JetBlue is planning on launching service to London sometime in 2021 (date TBD) from BOS and JFK so that's a bit of a plus on their expanding route system.

Message 2 of 12
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@Repairman wrote:

I used to have the AMEX version back in the day, and was thinking of getting the VISA and taking advantage of the 100,000 pts offer, but my only drawback is the $95 Annual Fee, as I wasn't looking to get any new cards with fees. I don't fly often, but when I do, Jet Blue is my preferred airline, and only 1 of 2 that I prefer to use, which is why I'm interested.

I currently have the JetBlue Plus and haven't had any issues with Barclays plus the most recent SUB is a pretty decent promotion.  Keep in mind that as far as a CC network, it's not issued as a Visa, rather WMC or WEMC.  IMO, the AF pays for itself if you are a Mosaic member and you can always downgrade the card depending on your future travel plans.  

IIRC, JetBlue is planning on launching service to London sometime in 2021 (date TBD) from BOS and JFK so that's a bit of a plus on their expanding route system.

Barclays wouldn't let me downgrade my Aviator Red ~16 months ago. I had to keep it or close it, and I closed it.

I got JetBlue for the 100k SUB and do not expect to keep it or spend much on it past the $6k.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 3 of 12
Repairman
Established Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@Repairman wrote:

Barclays wouldn't let me downgrade my Aviator Red ~16 months ago. I had to keep it or close it, and I closed it.

I got JetBlue for the 100k SUB and do not expect to keep it or spend much on it past the $6k.

I'm leaning toward doing the same. I didn't realize they had one without an annual fee. For me, the only benefits of the AF one is obviously, the sign up bonus, but also the 5,000 bonus points every year. The free checked bag is nice, but not worth the AF if I'm only flying once or twice a year. Maybe I'll try for it and keep it a year or 2 and then try to downgrade, or close it and get the no AF one if they won't let me downgrade.

Message 4 of 12
Repairman
Established Contributor

I have 4 inquiries and 3 new accounts in the last 6 months. Do you think that would play any negative factor in me getting approved?

Message 5 of 12
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Repairman wrote:

I have 4 inquiries and 3 new accounts in the last 6 months. Do you think that would play any negative factor in me getting approved?

Are the 4 inquiries on TU?  While Barclays can react to a variety of profiles differently, the 3 accounts within the past 6 months could be a factor.  Of course, the only way to know for sure is when you decide to apply.

Message 6 of 12
Repairman
Established Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@Repairman wrote:

Are the 4 inquiries on TU?  While Barclays can react to a variety of profiles differently, the 3 accounts within the past 6 months could be a factor.  Of course, the only way to know for sure is when you decide to apply.

The time frame is actually 10 months. 3 of the inquiries/new accounts are on TU. The oldest being from February, the next from June and the last from October.

Message 7 of 12
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Repairman wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@Repairman wrote:

The time frame is actually 10 months. 3 of the inquiries/new accounts are on TU. The oldest being from February, the next from June and the last from October.

It would be a bold move given the new accounts/inquiries <12 months.  But, nothing ventured nothing gained. 

Totally up to you if you feel this offer is too good to pass up.  Only thing is that if declined it likely won't be overturned.  Fingers crossed you get approved though. 

Message 8 of 12
Repairman
Established Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@Repairman wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@Repairman wrote:

It would be a bold move given the new accounts/inquiries <12 months.  But, nothing ventured nothing gained. 

Totally up to you if you feel this offer is too good to pass up.  Only thing is that if declined it likely won't be overturned.  Fingers crossed you get approved though. 

Do you know if this offer has ever been extended before? Or this a one off that's never been this good?

Message 9 of 12
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Repairman wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@Repairman wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@Repairman wrote:

Do you know if this offer has ever been extended before? Or this a one off that's never been this good?

From what I've seen in the past regarding JetBlue SUBs, this is one of those one-off promotions that may or may not last for too long, but no one can say for sure.  Given the disruption in travel demand due to the pandemic and the uncertainty of travel resumption in 2021 to pre-pandemic levels, a variety of lenders have been gotten creative to incentivize customers with promotions such as this one.  

All I can say is that if the opportunity presented itself and my profile supported it, I would go for it.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.