Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with AMEX PRG SUB - help

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Issue with AMEX PRG SUB - help

my SUB from pre-approved invitation is not matching what CSRs are telling me.  short story I was offered 50,000 pts, double the standard 25,000 SUB.  I called to confirm after receiving the card, told 25,000 pts.   I filed a complaint asking for correction.  Have not heard back. 

Has anyone else had a similar problem?  What was the resolution experience?  satisfactory resolution? 

The card came in a neat package.  Nice enough to distract me from the fact that there was no literature about the SUB.  I called and asked and the CSR told me it's the standard 25,000 for a $3,000 spend over 90 days.  I let him know I had a personalized invitation, the details (50,000pts for $3,000 spend, 90 days) and he said he was opening a ticket for me.  He was one of those reps that is friendly but overeager, repeating things 4-6 different ways.  I started getting skeptical when he told me, "you might get an email asking you for the documentation", "you might get a phone call" "you might get mail" scattered throughout the "i'm going to help you" comments he was making.  I felt like I was buying a used car so I asked what the standard operating procedure was.  I didn't get a straight, standard answer.  I was told i might get contacted tomorrow.  I might get contacted "later".   overall, I might has well have called and said, "my sign up bonus is wrong, here's my documentation.  take it if you want.  look at it if you feel like it.  and let me know if someone feels like doing their job on a Tuesday."  it was very frustrating and disappointing.  I called back a week and half later and after repeating myself 3 times was told that disputes take 6-8 weeks but that this new CSR would gladly open up another ticket for me just in case I want to wait another 6-8 weeks to call ask about the sign up bonus that ended after 90 days........    

What should I do?  I was thinking of asking to cancel the card and then sign up in the future....cancelling before earning a bonus so that I only get it once in a lifetime.....didn't look too close but if the policy excludes me not because of earning once in a lifetime but owning the card once in a lifetime then I guess that's not an option.......I just don't understand why I can not get any documentation from them and why no one wants to see the 8 invitations that were sent to clearly stating the bonus.  I even got the mail AFTER I had the card for a month.  I'm approaching 90 days and am holding off on spending the final $1000 out of principle but really would love feedback from experienced members or those who know the best channels to take this.  

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
601flyguy
Established Contributor

Re: Issue with AMEX PRG SUB - help

Always take what a csr says with a grain of salt... If you are positive that you signed up for the 50k bonus, I wouldn't worry.
2019 Spend Summary
$944,008 Amex BRG
$91,953 Amex SC
$58,351 Discover It
$50,046 BofA CR
$36,146 Amex PRG
$6,774 Cap1 QS
$963 Amex CM

$1,188,241 Yearly Spend
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@601flyguy wrote:
Always take what a csr says with a grain of salt... If you are positive that you signed up for the 50k bonus, I wouldn't worry.

Thank you.  I called hotline again.  this time chose a different option.  I chose "balance transfer" just for the hell of it.  I finally got an American agent.  She was very helpful and easy to work with.  ...Asked me a few general questions, "was this mailed to you? was it emailed to you? what address?  what name?  do you have an RSVP?"   she then had me upload the documentation.  FINALLY someone wants to see the proof.  now this didn't work.  I tried JPG and PDF.  there were issues with format and orientation.  four tries, said screw it and faxed it.   I was using GeniusScan and the camera app on iPhone.  

I was told 24 hours for receipt.  72 hours for review.  I already met spend requirement.  AMEX just needs to verify the docs and change the sign up offer in their system and then I am good to receive the 50,000 bonus.  She didn't say her system showed 25,000 but she did say they needed to change the offer in the system so although I hate to guess, I'm doing that here....probably still shows 25,000.   

*correction to previous post - spend requirement was $2000.  

Message 3 of 8
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

I continue to be amazed that members of this forum think Amex has great customer service.  They do not, and OP's story is just an example.  Their IT systems are bad, frequently creating problems, and the customer service reps are clueless on how to fix the problems created by the lousy IT systems.  I gave up on Amex over a year ago.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 4 of 8
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Now here’s where I’m different.

I would NOT have sweated one bead of perspiration or exerted one ounce of stress over what any CSR told me as long as I had the documented PROOF in my hand of the 50K bonus points offer.

And I definitely would have spent the required spend and I would not have called them until after the erroneous bonus was posted. I’m still wondering why you were calling in the first place since neither action had occurred.

IMO, I think you’re going to get the 50K pts once you reach your spend. and realize the stress was for naught.

Please keep us in the loop and GL2U.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 5 of 8
601flyguy
Established Contributor

CSR reps are like this for almost every company out there. It used to anger me until I worked in a call center. Now I know exactly what a CSR goes through daily and I understand the struggle lol.
2019 Spend Summary
$944,008 Amex BRG
$91,953 Amex SC
$58,351 Discover It
$50,046 BofA CR
$36,146 Amex PRG
$6,774 Cap1 QS
$963 Amex CM

$1,188,241 Yearly Spend
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

partial update: 

I received a 25,000 pts bonus sometime in the past 48 hours.  It is now showing up in my account online.  The CSR gave me the expectation that by Friday I can call to confirm AMEX held up their end of the bargain.  (for those that did not get to see my 2nd post to this topic - I was mistaken in original post- spend requirement was $2000 not $3000.  By the time I called CSR I had already met the requirement)

Will post an update after I make the call Friday.  

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

if anyone still wants to know - 

I did not get an immediate answer - was told after 3 calls that I was given a ticket.   Which was surprising and frustrating because I keep hearing that - their answer was that this was a special ticket due to the repeated calls.  6-8 weeks for a call back.  

i got the callback approx 10 days ago - they said they could see the session I applied and I did not acknowledge or apply for the 50,000 points, I applied for 25,000.  They couldn't or wouldn't provide me the proof but were not giving me the 50,000.  

Pretty lame. Very disappointing.  

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.