cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with Amazon allocate option

tag
_Unknown_

Issues with Amazon allocate option

Hello all! I've had the Amazon Prime Store Card for sometime now, and I can never get the allocation options to work correctly.
When I have a promotional balance going that I still have months to pay off, I put the Allocation #3 option "Allocate payment to Non-Promotional Balances first" that way when I want to pay off normal purchases first, my payments would go to it.

However, it never works. My payments still go towards my promotional purchases. And when I go through the live chat to ask them if they will please allocate the payment to the correct balance, they tell me yes, it has been done. But then I always receive an e-letter saying "With the recent changes in Federal Regulations, we are not able to change how your payment is applied to your balance, including your promotional financing."

When I ask a paypal credit live agent to allocate payments, they have no issues doing it. They are also using Synchrony Bank. So I don't understand how they can do it, but Amazon cannot.

Am I just selecting the wrong Allocate option? Any info/help would be greatly appreciated!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

Re: Issues with Amazon allocate option

Amazon store card is Synchrony bank.

Amazon credit card is Chase bank.

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 2 of 10
_Unknown_

Correct. As mentioned above I have the store card which is why I'm confused of them not letting me allocate payments. Unless that's the reason why, because it's store card and not an actual credit card? But still weird that they allow my at paypal credit, but not Amazon.

Either way my main concern is trying to understand why the Allocate option doesn't work correctly. So i can make payments towards non promo purchases. Smiley Sad

Message 3 of 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

You need to look up in your T&Cs how payments will be allocated, they are not the same through all of Synchs cards.

Message 4 of 10
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

@_Unknown_ 

What was the amount of the purchases in question? 

Message 5 of 10
_Unknown_

The promo purchase was $165, the non promo purchase I was trying to pay off was $80. I first paid the minimum statement amount. Then I made the separate $80 payment to pay the non promo. But it still all went to the promo amount.

Message 6 of 10
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@_Unknown_ wrote:

The promo purchase was $165, the non promo purchase I was trying to pay off was $80. I first paid the minimum statement amount. Then I made the separate $80 payment to pay the non promo. But it still all went to the promo amount.

When you elect to use promo at the checkout,  your monthly payment will be installment payment that's in 0% plus new charges. Any amount in the excess will be applied towards promo, not current charges. 

When you have promos like that, additional payments are applied towards it, not towards current charges 

This is not exclusive to Amazon cards (store and cobranded), it's applicable when you create "plans" and or "loans' that use your existing credit lines.

In a nutshell, nothing you can do about that. 

Message 7 of 10
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

@_Unknown_ wrote:

And you had already selected option 3 before the $165 purchase?

Screenshot 2022-12-03 215841.jpg

Message 8 of 10
_Unknown_

Yeah, that's the one I usually leave it on. But have tested the other options as well.

Message 9 of 10
ReturnOfTheCredi
Contributor

This is an issue that I have run into numerous times with the Amazon Store Card. It's a PITA and their reps, typically understanding of the issue, don't seem to know how to actually fix it any longer. I had mine set up the same as you and as recently as last month, had the same problem. Finally got someone on the phone who understood the issue and supposedly fixed it, but it still didn't work completely and I was left with a much lower promo balance than what I should have had. It's not in your head; it's a real thing. What's strange is other Synchrony cards don't even have the allocation option on the dashboard, yet I've had reps for other cards of theirs reference the ability to do this with their cards. I've had months where I made a payment for exactly the amount that I spent in excess of the promo and it got applied correctly. I've had others where it didn't. It's a big reason Synchrony will never be a primary spending card in my lineup.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.