Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with Amex Gold monthly Uber credit

tag
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

Issues with Amex Gold monthly Uber credit

My Uber cash account has ~100$ cash (Uber Visa cash redeemed in the last year). Since I have 10$ monthly AMEX Gold Uber cash benefit, if I want to use Uber Eat, it seems that I have to use the 100$ Uber cash first and afterward, I can use the Amex Gold monthly cash as a payment method (I cannot select to pay only by Amex monthly cash). Since it is at the middle of pandemic, I do not plan to use Uber for commute. I also plan to use Uber Eat in a limited way (groceries only) to be able to use this Amex benefit but not cooked food delivery.

I contacted Uber and they said that the redeemed Uber Visa cash cannot get reimbrused. Is there any way that I can get rid of this Uber Cash to be able to use Amex cash benefit only as the payment method? 

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
3 REPLIES 3
Matt9543
Established Contributor

Re: Issues with Amex Gold monthly Uber credit

@xenon3030 wrote:

My Uber cash account has ~100$ cash (Uber Visa cash redeemed in the last year). Since I have 10$ monthly AMEX Gold Uber cash benefit, if I want to use Uber Eat, it seems that I have to use the 100$ Uber cash first and afterward, I can use the Amex Gold monthly cash as a payment method (I cannot select to pay only by Amex monthly cash). Since it is at the middle of pandemic, I do not plan to use Uber for commute. I also plan to use Uber Eat in a limited way (groceries only) to be able to use this Amex benefit but not cooked food delivery.

I contacted Uber and they said that the redeemed Uber Visa cash cannot get reimbrused. Is there any way that I can get rid of this Uber Cash to be able to use Amex cash benefit only as the payment method? 

I just got the card and when I added my gold card to my account it added $10 in Uber cash to my account balance. Since it's added to your available Uber cash balance, then I don't see you being able to just use the $10 separately. 

FICO Scores (current as of November 24, 2020): Equifax: 740 | Experian: 751 | TransUnion: 732
Message 2 of 4
NRB525
Super Contributor

Have you added your AMEX Gold card as a payment method in your Uber app? That is a prerequisite, as it then deposits the $10 in your Uber cash. If you already did that, great, I just want to baseline the required step. 

From there, I think all you can do is check how your Uber Cash balance changes day to day. 

1 Note Uber Cash prior to adding Gold

2 Add Gold card and note increased UC

3 Try an Uber Eats or Uber trip to use some Uber Cash 

4 Check Uber Cash after each transaction 

5 Check Uber Cash on the last day of Feb ( or any month last day )

6 Check Uber Cash on the first day of the following month. 

If you used at least $10 UC during the month, and your UC balance goes up by $10 on the first of the following month, then UC is effectively using the Gold $10 first. 

If you used at least $10 UC during the month, and your UC balance does not change at all on the first of the following, then you would be unfortunately in a situation where the Gold cash is not being used first, is expiring at the end of the month and being replaced on the first.  

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 3 of 4
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

These experiments are not needed, because at the checkout I can see that only Uber Cash can get chosen but not Amex Uber Cash. Therefore, to be able to use the Amex benefit, it is needed to consume Uber Cash first.

I see whether I can buy something useful with Uber Eat and consume the entire of Uber Cash, since lots of restaurants can be used but only a few grocery stores are available (also, not the best grocery stores e.g. gas stations and seven eleven).

At the end, not sure whether this monthly Amex benefit can be useful too much to justify its 250$ AF. For example in California, per Uber Eat request, there is also mandatory 2$ fee for drivers.

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.