Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JCB Card Quick Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: JCB Card Quick Question

They asked becasue I am employed by a company I own.  I'm not really self-employed though, my company has around a dozen employees.  But I didn't mind the question and the ask for a tax return.

Message 11 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@joedtx wrote:

Congrats on your JCB card. Many will be envious of you that is a tough card to get.

I didn't want to clutter the forum and start a new thread... But why do you say JCB is a tough card to get?

Message 12 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I know!  I am lucky.  And my credit is certainly not perfect.  They pulled EX with a Fico of 706 and then TU a day later which was 685 at the time.  They sent me copies of the scores with a letter asking for my tax return (proof of income) and proof the business I work for existed.  I wrote them back and sent them what they asked for and included a nice letter thanking them for considering my application and I even included some Japanese in it indicating that I was excited to start doing business with them, which is true.  I called the LA office to follow up today and they recieved my documents and approved my app with a $2k credit line.  So I would encourage others to recon if they are denied, they are very nice people and to call the LA office.

Wow, only a $2,000 credit limit... They seem very strict.  I wanted to get a JCB since i live in Hawaii and the 3% looks very attractive, but if they only approve small denominations, maybe i'll consider otherwise.

Message 13 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@joedtx wrote:

Congrats on your JCB card. Many will be envious of you that is a tough card to get.

I didn't want to clutter the forum and start a new thread... But why do you say JCB is a tough card to get?

They give low limits and ask for more verification upfront than most banks. 

750 scores and low six figure income got me a 4k limit and that seems to be high for them, for reference.

Message 14 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@joedtx wrote:

750 scores and low six figure income got me a 4k limit and that seems to be high for them, for reference.

Thanks.  That 3% flat cash back after $3k in spending looks realy nice.  Maybe i'll apply just before gardening.  We have similar profiles, 750 across the board and low 6 figures.

Message 15 of 28
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Hrm, this is one of my unicorn cards; I can delay some other stuff for a month after the mortgage / CSP while going through the paperwork on this one.

The starter lines universally suck, and it's a HP on TU apparently for a $500 increase every six months... but post mortgage I really don't have much I need my TU account for (like ever as a 10 year Cali resident) so maybe will just take the flier application now.  Worst case I get denied, oh noes!

        
Message 16 of 28
EvilR-T
Frequent Contributor

They asked for proof of income with a 750 and no baddies?

Message 17 of 28
rlx01
Established Contributor

They ask for POI from everyone.

They're manually underwrite every card. It's an interesting card. Smiley Happy
Message 18 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

This card should be accepted anywhere that takes Discover, right?

Also, having to mail a paper app probably means you have to mail paper checks to them (or have your bank's bill pay do so for you) I'm betting. I don't know how I feel about that.

Message 19 of 28
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

This card should be accepted anywhere that takes Discover, right?

Also, having to mail a paper app probably means you have to mail paper checks to them (or have your bank's bill pay do so for you) I'm betting. I don't know how I feel about that.

It's not; in person transactions work OK depending on area, online is terribly hit or miss as apparently it's not a default option to turn on for the usual Discover merchant account settings, or otherwise some were setup before the reciprocity agreement was established and then never updated.  

FT had a good writeup or two on it if you're willing to search for it.

As for bill pay to pay it, for me I don't have a problem with that, and at least where I'm at JCB acceptance should continue to gain ground.  Figure whenever I get to the point I have to zealously micromanage my balances again, worst case I just leave that card as the balance reporter.  

After reading some of the approval stats from other people going to take a swing at this post mortgage; other than the mortgage inquiries looks like I match what they're looking for score and income wise, and if it's manually underwritten, they'll look at the inquiries and know what's up rather than some automated systems which frankly may have a suck implementation Cat Tongue

Apparently can't pay Federal taxes with it though Smiley Happy.

        
Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.