Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just applied for citi, inquiry question

tag
Meltdownblitz
Frequent Contributor

Just applied for citi, inquiry question

I just applied for citi and got the whole they want to review my account thing. As I have heard some say applying for more then 1 card the same day results in 1 inquiry. I was thinking about applying for the forward card as well, would that ruin my chances of being accepted for both?

Barclays Uber - 4% Restaurants, 2% Online Purchases/Everyday Card || PenFed Cash - 5% Gas || Amazon Visa Signature - 5% Amazon || U.S. Bank Cash+ - 5% Utilities, 5% Cable/Internet || AMEX BCP - 6% Groceries || WF Cash - Cell Insurance || Rotating 5% Categories - Chase Freedom, Discover It, Citi Dividend || AMEX Zync - For Fun!

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
kjm79
Valued Contributor

Re: Just applied for citi, inquiry question

The "one inquiry rule" isn't applicable to credit cards.  Mortgage and auto loans only.  Is the Forward Card also Citi?  If so, try calling them and asking them if they can use the same pull to see if you qualify for it.

CH 7 Filed 7/27/15 Discharged 11/16/15
Starting Score: EQ 620 TU 568 EX 593
Current Score (07/13/16): EQ 674 TU 649 EX 674 (FICO's 08)
Cap1 QS ($5350) (Combined QS and QS1) Discover It ($4100) MilStar ($8,600) Fingerhut ($800)
Off to the garden 05/01/16
Message 2 of 12
Meltdownblitz
Frequent Contributor

Hmm.. thats a good idea, I think I'll wait and see the status, if I'm denied then I'll ask that.

Barclays Uber - 4% Restaurants, 2% Online Purchases/Everyday Card || PenFed Cash - 5% Gas || Amazon Visa Signature - 5% Amazon || U.S. Bank Cash+ - 5% Utilities, 5% Cable/Internet || AMEX BCP - 6% Groceries || WF Cash - Cell Insurance || Rotating 5% Categories - Chase Freedom, Discover It, Citi Dividend || AMEX Zync - For Fun!

Message 3 of 12
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@kjm79 wrote:

The "one inquiry rule" isn't applicable to credit cards.  Mortgage and auto loans only.  Is the Forward Card also Citi?  If so, try calling them and asking them if they can use the same pull to see if you qualify for it.

Not true.... not sure about Citi but American Express very much only pulls one hard pull if you apply for a Charge and Credit Card product in same day.

Message 4 of 12
kjm79
Valued Contributor

Oh, pulls between with same company in the same day?  I misunderstood OP's post.  I read it as, app'ing for one cc and then another with a different company.

CH 7 Filed 7/27/15 Discharged 11/16/15
Starting Score: EQ 620 TU 568 EX 593
Current Score (07/13/16): EQ 674 TU 649 EX 674 (FICO's 08)
Cap1 QS ($5350) (Combined QS and QS1) Discover It ($4100) MilStar ($8,600) Fingerhut ($800)
Off to the garden 05/01/16
Message 5 of 12
Meltdownblitz
Frequent Contributor

I was denied after review for the citi thank you preferred, I'm shocked with my scores in the high 600s low 700s. I'm looking for a good rewards gas card. Any cards you could recommend?

Message 6 of 12
anybodii
New Contributor

Always do a recon when you're denied. You already took the hit!

Look up the backdoor number through this site ( link below ) and call and ask for them to review it again... the worst thing that will happen is you'll be told no again...

Backdoor Numbers

Message 7 of 12
Meltdownblitz
Frequent Contributor

Is that going to cost me another inquiry? I didnt know you could have them do a review again, is there a number for citi so I can talk to the people that actually makes the decisions??

Message 8 of 12
anybodii
New Contributor

No, they look at the same report again. No more hard hits or soft hits for that matter. 

Yes the backdoor numbers are designed to get you talking to someone who can make decisions to approve or deny and who can actually look at your account.

That's why I say it never hurts, even if you get told no again, you can try one or two more times with a different rep. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Two of my recent cards were originally denied. I called and reconed and they approved me.

Even if your app is in a pending state, just call them because chances are you'll be approved on the spot and may even be able to get a bigger credit limit...

Message 9 of 12
Meltdownblitz
Frequent Contributor

Awesome, thanks a lot! I will call Monday and post the status of it.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.