cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just realized I an under 5/24. Chase possible?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just realized I an under 5/24. Chase possible?

I just realized today when looking at my reports that I have dropped to 3/24 so Chase is on the radar. 

What are some good options for a profile that is EX 716,  TU 825, EQ  711.   

All baddies have dropped off of TU but EX and EQ still have 5 old chargeoffs that have about 5 to 6 months left to go.  

Have two trips being planned for next year,  one to Vegas and one to Hawaii.   Just looking for suggestions from anyone with experience with Chase.  I know all about cashback cards but the who miles game still confuses me thoroughly. lol

5 REPLIES 5
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: Just realized I an under 5/24. Chase possible?

@Anonymous wrote:

I just realized today when looking at my reports that I have dropped to 3/24 so Chase is on the radar. 

All baddies have dropped off of TU but EX and EQ still have 5 old chargeoffs that have about 5 to 6 months left to go.  

Have two trips being planned for next year,  one to Vegas and one to Hawaii.   Just looking for suggestions from anyone with experience with Chase.  I know all about cashback cards but the who miles game still confuses me thoroughly. lol

CSR/CSP would be good for all the bonus points you would get from travel. I am not sure if your Credit score is good enough though. Others will probably know better than I what scores you need for those cards.

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase is tough to get CLIs from.

I would wait 5-6 months in hopes of getting a good SL than a poor toy limit.

Do you bank with Chase or have any Chase products?

Message 3 of 6
RadioRob
Established Contributor

What sorts of limits do you have today?  What does most of your spending consist of?  (What categories?)

The Chase CSP/CSR is a great rewards card in that it racks up bonus points based on large categories such as travel (including car rentals, air fare, parking, etc) and dining.  When you go to cash those rewards in, you can use Chase's online portal which is similar to Expedia to book travel and get an extra 25% discount otherwise you can just transfer the miles to a partner airline if they're redemption of miles would give you a lower cost to use.  

Now...  if the spending categories don't match your spending patterns, it's not necessarily a good fit for you.  Instead look at the Freedom or Freedom Unlimited which give you either a flat 1.5% earning rate or 5% on a list of rotating categories per quarter (similar to Discover).

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess the big thing I am looking for would probably be SUB then might PC in a year or so.  Don't really travel that much normally.  Just have some good opportunities coming up next year.   I have several 15-25K limit credit cards.   

You guys might be right tho, It might be better to wait ill everything is all clean, then all three CRA's should be in the high 700's and low 800's.  As long as I don't get app happy, I should stay under 5/24 because I have a couple new accounts that will be over 2 years old around Feb and Mar.  

Anyone got any other suggestions from other issuers.  I do have 2 business and 1 personal with Amex,  but only about 6 months old.  Just got in with US Bank this past month.  Several sychrony cards ( so probably don't want to rock that boat).  NFCU, Penfed, too.  Have 1 business and 1 personal with Cap One.

Was thinking about maybe one of the Barclay cards since they seem to pull TU mostly. 

Tried Discover but they just don't like me yet.  Prolly have to wait till I'm all clean for them.  

Message 5 of 6
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm pretty deep in the Chase swamp. Your scores are beyond fine. Chase approved me for a card when I had a 660 once, but make sure the rest of your profile supports it too. As to which Chase offering is right for you, I can't say with the info provided. If you're just looking to build points as fast as possible, the Sapphires are going to be your best bet, but there's also merits to their co-branded stuff.

My general advice with the "miles game" is two-fold:

1. The bigger (4cpm+) returns come from the big-dollar tickets (international premium cabin), though you can still pretty consistently redeem for around 2cpm on domestic tickets as well. For some people, 2cpm isn't that different than getting cash-back so the miles game may well be a wash for them.

2. The game is most rewarding (see above) for those who can generate sufficient points consistently. Unless you're saving up for a once-in-a-decade trip, you'll want to generate at least 50,000 points/miles per year to get any type of meaningful redemption and at least double to triple that amount if you want to get higher returns on redemptions on a regular basis. This is most easily done by consolidating around a single airline and piling miles into it (fly that airline for miles + spend on a card that's either co-branded or has that airline as a reward partner + double-dip with promotions associated with that airline, such as through shopping/dining programs).

If you fly Delta all the time, Chase isn't going to make much sense for you, just as flying United all the time means American Express isn't doing much for you. If you're the kind of person who sells your soul to the lowest bidder on Kayak, sticking with cash-back/travel-portal might be the way to go instead of miles. For example, if you go with the CSR, you can buy tickets with points at 1.5cpm, which means dining/travel just effectively became 4.5% cash-back for you.

Now that you have some information, you need to do the math for yourself to decide what's best for you. Once that happens, recommending the right card becomes easy.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.