cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping a CC active? - What activity is sufficient? How to avoid CLD or other unwanted actions?

tag
wollepopolle
Established Contributor

Keeping a CC active? - What activity is sufficient? How to avoid CLD or other unwanted actions?

I have currently two credit cards that are not my main cards anymore.

I charge about $30 to $60 on my Amex Blue per month and pay it off in full (CL $12,000)

I charge about $10 to $30 on my PNC card per month and pay it off in full (CL $8000)

These are good accounts with an appropriate age and a good limit. I want to avoid being CLDed or have the companies close my accounts. Especially the Amex I do like.  Do you think my current monthly activity is sufficient for that purpose. I used to charge an average monthly amount of $1000 on the Amex and perhaps $600 on the PNC. I haven't done this in about three months. I could charge more on them but then I get more cashback with my BoA card and my seasonal Discover categories.

How have you kept less frequently used CC active? Has it worked or not? I am skeptical that the occasional pack of chewing gum every six months would be sufficient. Tell your story.

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Keeping a CC active? - What activity is sufficient? How to avoid CLD or other unwanted actions?

@wollepopolle wrote:

I have currently two credit cards that are not my main cards anymore.

I charge about $30 to $60 on my Amex Blue per month and pay it off in full (CL $12,000)

I charge about $10 to $30 on my PNC card per month and pay it off in full (CL $8000)

These are good accounts with an appropriate age and a good limit. I want to avoid being CLDed or have the companies close my accounts. Especially the Amex I do like.  Do you think my current monthly activity is sufficient for that purpose. I used to charge an average monthly amount of $1000 on the Amex and perhaps $600 on the PNC. I haven't done this in about three months. I could charge more on them but then I get more cashback with my BoA card and my seasonal Discover categories.

How have you kept less frequently used CC active? Has it worked or not? I am skeptical that the occasional pack of chewing gum every six months would be sufficient. Tell your story.

I use most of my cards to autopay a monthly recurring bill such as water, gas, cable, etc. That way they are used every month and I don't have to think about "What cards need to be used this month"? It works well for me.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 21
wollepopolle
Established Contributor

Re: Keeping a CC active? - What activity is sufficient? How to avoid CLD or other unwanted actions?

Great idea with the autopay! Our water and elictricity is billed once every three months, though and thus doesn't produce a monthly charge.

I am curious what others have done/experienced?

Is charging a little every month really sufficient to keep a card with a bigger limit active?

Message 3 of 21
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@wollepopolle wrote:

Great idea with the autopay! Our water and elictricity is billed once every three months, though and thus doesn't produce a monthly charge.

I am curious what others have done/experienced?

Is charging a little every month really sufficient to keep a card with a bigger limit active?

I can only speak for myself.

My cable bill is $66 a month ($6,500 CL), gas bill about $45 a month ($8,300 CL), XM bill $16 a month ($11,000 CL) and that's all I ever charge on those accounts. I've been doing that a long time. I might get an AA at some point because of it but I'm not concerned.

From a BK years ago to:

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 4 of 21
ArisGreek
Frequent Contributor

I honestly don't know if there is any rhyme or reason.  Example, my mom has had a AMEX Delta card for a billion years it seems and she has a $19,000 line from what I understand. She only uses about  $1-3K a month on average and pays it off.  She's never been CLD...My mom's score is also 791 (sigh) so that could be another reason. Smiley Happy

She also has a AMEX Gold that she's had since the beginning of time so I bet that helps too. Smiley Happy

===========
TU: 745(TU98) | EQ: 774 | EX: ? | NO BADDIES!
What's in my wallet? AMEX Platinum, United Presidential Plus World Elite MC, AMEX JetBlue, Nordstrom Visa Sig, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Discover More, AMEX Zync, Citi AAdvantage Plat Select Visa, Banana Republic, Home Depot
Message 5 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ArisGreek wrote:

I honestly don't know if there is any rhyme or reason.  Example, my mom has had a AMEX Delta card for a billion years it seems and she has a $19,000 line from what I understand. She only uses about  $1-3K a month on average and pays it off.  She's never been CLD...My mom's score is also 791 (sigh) so that could be another reason. Smiley Happy

She also has a AMEX Gold that she's had since the beginning of time so I bet that helps too. Smiley Happy

Man, I'd ask to be added as an AU if I were you, 2010 years will really help AAoA!

Message 6 of 21
ArisGreek
Frequent Contributor

LOL, 'sho would be Smiley Wink haha.

===========
TU: 745(TU98) | EQ: 774 | EX: ? | NO BADDIES!
What's in my wallet? AMEX Platinum, United Presidential Plus World Elite MC, AMEX JetBlue, Nordstrom Visa Sig, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Discover More, AMEX Zync, Citi AAdvantage Plat Select Visa, Banana Republic, Home Depot
Message 7 of 21
wollepopolle
Established Contributor

@ArisGreek wrote:

...  She only uses about  $1-3K a month on average and pays it off.  She's never been CLD...

I get your point but your mother is charging a lot each month. I was rather curious about how little money charged to an account will keep away trouble.

Marinevietvet, those numbers seem to be reasonable. $60ish+ each month and no trouble for you.

What I am afraid of is that if I only charge a few bucks a month on these cards, this will not be enough for the account provider and they will eventually CLD you.

Message 8 of 21
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@wollepopolle wrote:

I get your point but your mother is charging a lot each month. I was rather curious about how little money charged to an account will keep away trouble.

Marinevietvet, those numbers seem to be reasonable. $60ish+ each month and no trouble for you.

What I am afraid of is that if I only charge a few bucks a month on these cards, this will not be enough for the account provider and they will eventually CLD you.

I understand your concern but I don't think anyone can ever be 100% sure that an AA will not happen to them no matter what they do. There are no guarantees in this crazy credit world.

From a BK years ago to:

Message 9 of 21
wollepopolle
Established Contributor

@MarineVietVet wrote:

I understand your concern but I don't think anyone can ever be 100% sure that an AA will not happen to them no matter what they do. There are no guarantees in this crazy credit world.

You are right. Who knows in this crazy period where lenders make erratic decisions. Many things in the CC world can be completely willy-nilly. Approvals, denials, CLD...

Anyway, what is "AA"? "account .....??? Smiley Surprised And since I am already asking, what is DW or DH? They show up often on this forum. Do they mean dear wife / dear husband? I have trouble with acronyms.

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.