Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Key to Chase CLI?!

tag
Tonya-E
Established Contributor

Key to Chase CLI?!

I have had my Chase card since 2011. In that time I have only received 1 CLI from 4.5-6k. I don’t know if I am just not pushing enough through the card to trigger one or what. I wanted to see if anyone can let me know any actions they took which triggered a CLI. I want to reduce my cards to a total of 4 or 5. I would like to keep this card as my catch all since it gives 1.5% cash back in all categories . Plus it’s an older account. However I would like a 10k or so limit. I also don’t want any hard pulls. I’m not doing anything right now with the Covid crisis going on...it’s just for future reference. They continuously offer the Chase Sapphire preferred with a larger limit preapproved. But I am not interested in any additions. I can’t figure out why they wouldn’t just increase my current limit.
Wallet: Amex BCP-45k| Barclays Rewards MC-26.3k| Citi Thank You Preferred-27.5k| Citi Double Cash-14k| Target MC-11.5k| Walmart MC-7.5k| Chase Freedom Unlimited Signature-6k

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Key to Chase CLI?!

Seems like Chase auto CLIs are as rare as a Bigfoot sighting. Chase seems to be CLI request and HP either over the phone or in-branch. Although I'm sure it may be different for big-dollar clients with a personal banker.

Message 2 of 28
Tonya-E
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Seems like Chase auto CLIs are as rare as a Bigfoot sighting. Chase seems to be CLI request and HP either over the phone or in-branch. Although I'm sure it may be different for big-dollar clients with a personal banker.

Yep, that's what I am thinking. I will just have to wait it out and see what happens. I definitely have no interest in requesting. It just makes no sense that they have the offer every time I log in for CSP with a starting 28k limit but won't give me 10k for the Freedom Unlimited without request. I'll never figure out these banks, lol!
Wallet: Amex BCP-45k| Barclays Rewards MC-26.3k| Citi Thank You Preferred-27.5k| Citi Double Cash-14k| Target MC-11.5k| Walmart MC-7.5k| Chase Freedom Unlimited Signature-6k

Message 3 of 28
NRB525
Super Contributor

I suggest you just ask them for a CLI, and take the HP, or two if two bureaus. 

Chase is not likely to give you another CLI, unless you are pushing this existing limit. That is not even certain they would respond with a CLI, leading to wasting your time guessing.  

Your scores are nearly 850.  You will take a short term loss of a few points that will never result in any different results for credit you would apply for in the next year. And it sounds like you do not plan to apply for anything, in which case...

Score. Does. Not. Matter.

And by taking this HP, you also avoid any New Card scoring penalties. 

GL

eta: If you wait for an auto CLI, likely they add another $2k or so. Request a CLI, and you are more likely to get to $20k as your credit line.  

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 28
Tonya-E
Established Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

I suggest you just ask them for a CLI, and take the HP, or two if two bureaus. 

Chase is not likely to give you another CLI, unless you are pushing this existing limit. That is not even certain they would respond with a CLI, leading to wasting your time guessing.  

Your scores are nearly 850.  You will take a short term loss of a few points that will never result in any different results for credit you would apply for in the next year. And it sounds like you do not plan to apply for anything, in which case...

Score. Does. Not. Matter.

And by taking this HP, you also avoid any New Card scoring penalties. 

GL

This is true...I have never turned my mindset off from when I was rebuilding my credit. I think I have "no hard pulls" embedded in my brain. I may give it a shot when things simmer down. Thanks for responding.

Message 5 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

One option is to apply for a new Chase card and after a year, move the CL from the new card over to your existing card and close the new card. You take a small hit to your scores but achieve what you are looking for. That's if the HP CLI doesn't work well enough. 

Message 6 of 28
Tonya-E
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

One option is to apply for a new Chase card and after a year, move the CL from the new card over to your existing card and close the new card. You take a small hit to your scores but achieve what you are looking for. That's if the HP CLI doesn't work well enough. 

Thanks for the 2nd option. I didn’t even know you could move over the credit line. At least now I have some ideas. I appreciate it.

Message 7 of 28
credit_is_crack
Valued Contributor

I can't this is "how it works" but I can share my experiences. I've had many chase cards over the years and did notice a trend on what triggered auto CLIs. 

when id use a card and spend at minimum 70% of its limit in a single month, let it post as a statement balance, pay it off in a single payment, and do it for 3 months in a row, I'd get an auto CLI. As mentioned upthread they range in the $1,500-$2,500 range, but they would trigger. I HAD to let the balance post as a statement balance and make one large payment to cover it - 3 times in a row. When I didn't let it post or pay it in one chunk, it would "reset my clock".

now with the current climate this may have been adjusted but this has always triggered auto CLIs on my chase accounts, personal and business.

limit is 5k, I'd need to hit $3.5k and pay it three months in a row. It would bump up to $7k, then I'd do it again but have to increase the spend to $4.9k. You do take a hit for the high utilization, but I'd pay it days after it posted and luckily chase will reported updated balances if you do it within a week of the statement. Score would drop, and pop right back up. 

YMMV, but this has worked on at least 5 of the 8 cards I've had from them. Hope this helps

Message 8 of 28
Tonya-E
Established Contributor

@credit_is_crack wrote:

I can't this is "how it works" but I can share my experiences. I've had many chase cards over the years and did notice a trend on what triggered auto CLIs. 

when id use a card and spend at minimum 70% of its limit in a single month, let it post as a statement balance, pay it off in a single payment, and do it for 3 months in a row, I'd get an auto CLI. As mentioned upthread they range in the $1,500-$2,500 range, but they would trigger. I HAD to let the balance post as a statement balance and make one large payment to cover it - 3 times in a row. When I didn't let it post or pay it in one chunk, it would "reset my clock".

now with the current climate this may have been adjusted but this has always triggered auto CLIs on my chase accounts, personal and business.

limit is 5k, I'd need to hit $3.5k and pay it three months in a row. It would bump up to $7k, then I'd do it again but have to increase the spend to $4.9k. You do take a hit for the high utilization, but I'd pay it days after it posted and luckily chase will reported updated balances if you do it within a week of the statement. Score would drop, and pop right back up. 

YMMV, but this has worked on at least 5 of the 8 cards I've had from them. Hope this helps

Very good info....thank you for sharing your experience. I figure it’s something they are looking for. I never did the three in a row but one month I let my work travel expenses post to see what would happen. I thought maybe because I pay before statement closing they just didn’t see the need to give me more credit or they don’t like what I already have. That’s definitely another option.

Message 9 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Tonya-E wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the 2nd option. I didn’t even know you could move over the credit line. At least now I have some ideas. I appreciate it.

Yes, Chase is good about letting you move limits among multiple cards. I've done it several times to adjust to my spending as well as to accommodate a 0% BT. 

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.