Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limit Increase?

tag
airborne07
Valued Member

Limit Increase?

Currently, I am trying to work to get limit increases on my Cap one and Discover.  Cap One is very stingy.  When I try to get one I get the notice that my payments are not big enough.  In that sense, I am paying $100 twice a month becuase I want it paid off.  For Discover, my limit is $2,200.  What are some adequate ways to use the Discover card in order to get an increase?  They said they want to see how I do with the $500 limit they gave me  lol.  I am think of maybe be using it for gas or smoething like that which would be re-occuring.  I called Cap One to get an increase but you can only use the site or automated system to request an increase.  At least with Discover you can speak with the department that gives the increase on thier cards.

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Limit Increase?

I just got a Capital One card and I was hearing from others on the forum that Capital one likes when you use it heavy and pay one time in lump sum. So the 100, 100 wont do. Instead pay 200 one time and maybe one day you will get to your goal. Try to pay in full and if you can't, well. idk what to say. Stay under 9%. Let others chime in on this. I am still in my baby steps. I heard to request a CLI in 2-3months and when credit steps kicks in you get another. Just hit that CLI once a month. 

Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover is very difficult to predict, unfortunately. PIF, use the card a lot, and sometimes it still doesn't make a difference. You have as much chance of getting a CLI by going out and doing a dance under the full moon as you do trying to find a pattern for Discover. Smiley Happy

If you have a 760 + FICO score, Discover will hand CLI's out like candy. If not, then you can just do your best to use the card frequently and PIF. Be aware that this still may not result in a CLI and many times does not. Discover is just very fickle and difficult to predict.

Someone else wrote under another post:

How to get a CLI with Discover:

1) Use the card like crazy and PIF

2) Try for SP CLI's and receive the message requesting a HP

3) Accept a HP

4) Receive a $500 CLI

6) Sock drawer the card permanently

The best thing is to probably not expect much and eventually you will get something. Hang in there. Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 17
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

In another thread said that your scores are in the "mid 600s" for two of the three bureaus.  I haven't seen you say how long those accounts have been opened.  It's going to take time and higher scores to get limits like you see in some people's sigs around here.  Get a third card, get an installment loan if you don't have one now and then just keep paying it all and watching what happens to your score.  Eventually you will get to Visa Sigs and World Elite Mastercards with five figure limits, but it's not happening overnight.  Or even in a year or two.  There is a strategy laid out in your other thread on how to get that Cap One limit up in six months, as long as you have another card by then.

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I just got a Capital One card and I was hearing from others on the forum that Capital one likes when you use it heavy and pay one time in lump sum. So the 100, 100 wont do. Instead pay 200 one time and maybe one day you will get to your goal. Try to pay in full and if you can't, well. idk what to say. Stay under 9%. Let others chime in on this. I am still in my baby steps. I heard to request a CLI in 2-3months and when credit steps kicks in you get another. Just hit that CLI once a month. 

Capital One really does not care if you pay all at once or in increments. I made multiple payments per month and received a 3k CLI after doing so. Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Capital One really does not care if you pay all at once or in increments. I made multiple payments per month and received a 3k CLI after doing so. Smiley Happy

It is just what I heard. This guy said he was spending 1k a month on the card but paying weekly in small amounts and that was the reason for his denial. But ya, I am a baby with capital one, so if you say soSmiley Happy

Message 6 of 17
driftless
Valued Contributor

My wife had 2 Cap One accounts, one an old Platinum Visa and a newer QS Visa. The Platinum card was barely used and her monthly payments are low as a result. The QS is used more and her payment, PIF for both, is much higher. The QS receives nice auto CLI's and she was denied when she hit the love button for Platinum. The Platinum was combined into the QS as a result. I started out with 2 Cap One accounts that have been CP'ed and combined nicely. I think that it is true that Cap One likes to see consistent, heavy usage and one or two large payments a month.
CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@driftless wrote:
My wife had 2 Cap One accounts, one an old Platinum Visa and a newer QS Visa. The Platinum card was barely used and her monthly payments are low as a result. The QS is used more and her payment, PIF for both, is much higher. The QS receives nice auto CLI's and she was denied when she hit the love button for Platinum. The Platinum was combined into the QS as a result. I started out with 2 Cap One accounts that have been CP'ed and combined nicely. I think that it is true that Cap One likes to see consistent, heavy usage and one or two large payments a month.

Capital one definitely likes to see heavy usage and large payments. They simply do not care whether you make one large payment per month or 3 payments equaling the same amount.

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@driftless wrote:

And I've had the opposite experience.  I have the Platinum (MC) and the QS.  The Platnium was my first card.  I was in credit steps, and received an auto CLI from $500 to $1500.  I was preapproved for the QS (and now I barely use the Platinum, I have a few subs on there, which I moved to other cards when they gave me a new acct # this month), which I use quite a bit, and received the auto CLI from $500 to $750.  I get much bigger CLIs on the Platinum than the QS via the luv button (Platinum now sits at $6k and QS at $2650).  I get another shot at the luv button in 2 months,  I'm going to see what CLIs I can get, then combine the card.

So, with Cap1, use it, don't use it, it doesn't seem to matter, they just give random CLIs.

One thing to add is, I usually request the CLI on the Platinum before the QS, so next time I want to CLI the QS first and see if that makes a difference.

Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

CapOne wants heavy usage and they usually give out CLI every 6 months. Discover has been good to me. I get CLI every 90 days with light usage. Mr scores have been pretty much stuck around 660 for a year now.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.