Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lowering APR...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lowering APR...

I'm curious to hear about your experiences with getting your credit card APRs lowered. Which lenders are more willing to lower APRs over time with good behaviour and improved credit?
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Lowering APR...

Capital One only does temporary 7 month drops of around 4% for me. 

My data on US Bank and BoA is from 2008 so it’s too outdated to post and I haven’t asked my other creditors yet. 

Message 2 of 18
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Discover will lower your apr after a year ,when asked. Navy Federal will entertain this as well after a year. Bsnk of America has been known to lower apr if you have an offer. Citibank too can lower apr, via call or chat. Chase never. Capitol One not permanent. Amex i believe is harder to get but may be possible on case by case* not 100% sure.
Message 3 of 18
rbentley
Established Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Discover will lower your apr after a year ,when asked. Navy Federal will entertain this as well after a year. Bsnk of America has been known to lower apr if you have an offer. Citibank too can lower apr, via call or chat. Chase never. Capitol One not permanent. Amex i believe is harder to get but may be possible on case by case* not 100% sure.

Great information.  One of my goals this year was to focus on possible APR reductions.  I got a Chase Amazon card early in my rebuild that has a preditory 24.49%.  Needless to say, I only use it for purchases that I can PIF.  I had hoped to get an APR reduction this year but that now appears unlikely.  Oh well, it is valuable for the 5% off Amazon.  No swipes for you Chase Amazon!

Message 4 of 18
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Discover will also give you another 12-month 0 APR after 1 yr as long as your credit profile stays good. You just have to ask.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditInspired wrote:
Discover will also give you another 12-month 0 APR after 1 yr as long as your credit profile stays good. You just have to ask.

This would be a great deal if they gave you another year of cash back match too 😂 

jk. Sorta. I have heard Disco will do this every now and then if you ask which sure beats having to pay a fee for a BT to checking to pay off a large purchase!

Message 6 of 18
rbentley
Established Contributor

Anyone know what FNBO policy is on APR reductions?  They have been generous to me with CLI's but my APR is 21%.  The card is pretty much in my sock drawer with occasional small swipes to keep the card active.  It is about to become my oldest open card.

Message 7 of 18
RicHowe
Valued Contributor

AMEX will offer lower APR Promos on occasion. These are not permanent APR changes though.

offer.gif

Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@rbentley wrote:

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

Great information.  One of my goals this year was to focus on possible APR reductions.  I got a Chase Amazon card early in my rebuild that has a preditory 24.49%.  Needless to say, I only use it for purchases that I can PIF.  I had hoped to get an APR reduction this year but that now appears unlikely.  Oh well, it is valuable for the 5% off Amazon.  No swipes for you Chase Amazon!

Let me save you some time.  You have pretty close to a 0% chance of adjusting your APR with Chase.  While you may get a periodic promotional offer, a permanent reduction of your variable APR isn't happening.

I have you beat.  I still have a Chase card with 25.24%.  I have tried on multiple occasions to reduce this.  The last time I even escalated to a supervisor.  I asked him "If I submit to a HP for a CLI, could I also be considered for an APR reduction?"  No.  

If I didn't like the Freedom so much, they would be gone permanently.  They drive me crazy for quite a few reasons.

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Last month I lowered my Bofa card from 18.99% to 16.49% and my Cash Magnet from 15.24% to 12.49%(for 1 year).

All just by calling the number on the back of the card. 

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.