Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Managing Relationship with Amex

tag
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Managing Relationship with Amex

@VanderSnoot wrote:

I'm not at an income ceiling. I didn't respond to AJ's point in the hope that we could slide past it, so I wouldn't be seen as contributing to the income bragging that sometimes occurs on this site.

Im sorry, nowhere in my post did i mention income bragging rights. Bringing up income in relation to ones limits with any lender is a valid point imo and can affect one getting further cli or upcoming approvals.  As per you post, i cannot discern, nor others,  how many Amex cards you have or what limits. Even the wealthiest here have their limits so....if i overstepped my bounds,  apologies. 

Message 11 of 23
VanderSnoot
Established Contributor

It's a fair point, AJ, it just doesn't apply here.

Is it worth asking for a CLI or should I just wait until the 2 year mark (will likely PC then as well)? They've allowed me slight overages (as is common) and I PIF promptly.

Message 12 of 23
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@VanderSnoot wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

How many AmEx revolving cards do you currently have - personal and biz? 3

What is the aggregate exposure on all of your AmEx revolvers, (excluding charge cards & POT)? $41k

When was the last time you requested a CLI on any of them? Never

Which card did you close before the 12 months were up - was it a charge card or revolver - AND did you collect a SUB on that card? Revolver; Delta Gold; Yes, but didn't use and wasn't clawed back when PCed to Delta Blue

Ok - thanks for the DPs @VanderSnoot

On the plus side, the SUB wasn't clawed back with the PC/downgrade, but I think it's possible that AmEx can eventually warm up to you in time -- it's anyone's guess how long, though.   You can try for the CLI (since it's SP), and perhaps that can provide a barometer on things, depending on the outcome.

Optionally, you can reallocate limits around on your current cards (once per 30 calendar days) -- if you prefer -- until a CLI occurs.

Message 13 of 23
805orbust
Valued Contributor

The simple answer from what I've gathered over the years is: Time.

Message 14 of 23
VanderSnoot
Established Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

On the plus side, the SUB wasn't clawed back with the PC/downgrade, but I think it's possible that AmEx can eventually warm up to you in time -- it's anyone's guess how long, though.   You can try for the CLI (since it's SP), and perhaps that can provide a barometer on things, depending on the outcome.

Optionally, you can reallocate limits around on your current cards (once per 30 calendar days) -- if you prefer -- until a CLI occurs.

Yes, I suspect the low SL was merely a warning shot. They've also approved a charge card (in addition to the low SL cobranded card) since the offending PC, and my hope is that two years of honorable service is sufficient to get back into their good graces. (No, I haven't tested the charge card's limits, as I've kept purchases and balances low out of respect for our impaired relationship).

As I don't need a higher limit, I will wait the two years and then test the waters.

Message 15 of 23
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@VanderSnoot wrote:

I'm not at an income ceiling. I didn't respond to AJ's point in the hope that we could slide past it, so I wouldn't be seen as contributing to the income bragging that sometimes occurs on this site.

This almost has the same impact!  ("If I mentioned my huge income it would be seen as bragging so I won't.  Really")   Probably not your intention, but....

Message 16 of 23
W261w261
Frequent Contributor

<Optionally, you can reallocate limits around on your current cards (once per 30 calendar days) -- if you prefer -- until a CLI occurs>

Couple of things: I've had an EDP for 4 yrs with Amex, and was last turned down for a CLI in late January. My score has increased to 690 since then, so last week I tried again. Denied, because I needed to have waited 90 days between asks,so they said. In another couple of weeks I'll try again, will post here if I remember.

Also, I applied and was approved for Thurs+Fri for 2 new cards, Gold & Delta Skymiles Reserve. The Gold is not a revolver, of course, but the Delta has a $5k limit. Is it possible to take say $1k from the Delta limit and put it on my EDP? That would be a big help. 

Message 17 of 23
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@W261w261 wrote:

<Optionally, you can reallocate limits around on your current cards (once per 30 calendar days) -- if you prefer -- until a CLI occurs>

Couple of things: I've had an EDP for 4 yrs with Amex, and was last turned down for a CLI in late January. My score has increased to 690 since then, so last week I tried again. Denied, because I needed to have waited 90 days between asks,so they said. In another couple of weeks I'll try again, will post here if I remember.

Also, I applied and was approved for Thurs+Fri for 2 new cards, Gold & Delta Skymiles Reserve. The Gold is not a revolver, of course, but the Delta has a $5k limit. Is it possible to take say $1k from the Delta limit and put it on my EDP? That would be a big help. 

Specific to the CL reallocation, and not to hijack the OP's thread/topic, once you receive/activate Delta Reserve, give it a few days and see whether the system allows the limit to be moved around.

Message 18 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay so they're probably not connected in nay way, but I was on their naughty list for a spell for SUB eligibility and over time I was able to get one with a new app. So it essentially just takes time, I'm guessing your experience was rather recent then?  It seems perhaps you might have to give it 12 months of good usage to get out of that dog house, if a CLI at 6 months doesn't/hasn't worked. 

Like I said i don't know if they treat SUB chasers the same as early closures to avoid AF, probably two totally different dog houses. lol

Altough "time" does seem to be the recurring theme for most of their infractions. 

Message 19 of 23
VanderSnoot
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Okay so they're probably not connected in nay way, but I was on their naughty list for a spell for SUB eligibility and over time I was able to get one with a new app. So it essentially just takes time, I'm guessing your experience was rather recent then?  It seems perhaps you might have to give it 12 months of good usage to get out of that dog house, if a CLI at 6 months doesn't/hasn't worked. 

Like I said i don't know if they treat SUB chasers the same as early closures to avoid AF, probably two totally different dog houses. lol

Altough "time" does seem to be the recurring theme for most of their infractions. 

Thanks for the timeline. Time heals all wounds with Amex, but it's more helpful to have a sense of how much time. Maybe at 6 months or 1 year I'll ask for a CLI just to gauge. I don't have a specific goal I'm targeting; I just want the certainty of knowing where I stand.

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.