Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marvel Card Question..

tag
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Marvel Card Question..

Got a question about the Marvel card, maybe it has been answered and quite possibly I missed it.  With that being said has anyone confirmed/denied you get 3% off with Amazon with this card as well since it states "books" as one of the 3% cats it covers?   I have the SM so it isn't a concern now, but if it ever does go away marvel is a great no AF card and covers alot of my spend..  Won't be applying anytime soon until the demise of SM if it ever happens, but more curious as I neer read a definitive answer.

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Marvel Card Question..

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Got a question about the Marvel card, maybe it has been answered and quite possibly I missed it.  With that being said has anyone confirmed/denied you get 3% off with Amazon with this card as well since it states "books" as one of the 3% cats it covers?   I have the SM so it isn't a concern now, but if it ever does go away marvel is a great no AF card and covers alot of my spend..  Won't be applying anytime soon until the demise of SM if it ever happens, but more curious as I neer read a definitive answer.

What you missed is that purchases sold and shipped by Amazon have the MCC of a bookstore, thus any MasterCard used for them will code the same way. Digital purchases have a different MCC, but that one is also covered by this card.

Message 2 of 22
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

What you missed is that purchases sold and shipped by Amazon have the MCC of a bookstore, thus any MasterCard used for them will code the same way. Digital purchases have a different MCC, but that one is also covered by this card.

So you did see 3% on your order?  Will be using Discover 10% this quarter (double cash back) and possibly next quarter with SM and Freedon, but looking long term for a nice well rounded 0 AF card.. I really can't find anything wrong with this card other than the APR possibly.    Yes the SM beats it along with Discover/Freedom for quarters w/regards for amazon, but it also covers so much more..  Just planning my long term strategy since I am stuck at home bored tonight Smiley Happy

Hate being on call this week, ruins my social life!

Message 3 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

So you did see 3% on your order?  Will be using Discover 10% this quarter (double cash back) and possibly next quarter with SM and Freedon, but looking long term for a nice well rounded 0 AF card.. I really can't find anything wrong with this card other than the APR possibly.    Yes the SM beats it along with Discover/Freedom for quarters w/regards for amazon, but it also covers so much more..  Just planning my long term strategy since I am stuck at home bored tonight Smiley Happy

Hate being on call this week, ruins my social life!

I didn't use it for a normal order because Sallie Mae gets 5%, but you don't need to test it to know what the MCC codes are. 

haha yeah I will squeeze every last drop of 5% out of SM while it lasts. For simplicity sake though you could just set Marvel as the default Amazon payment because that way you don't have to choose a separate one for digital purchases (granted it's 2% less cash back than ol' Sallie).

Soon I will feel your pain with on-call. Getting promoted in the next week or so to a position that requires rotating weeks of on-call, not really looking forward to the lack of sleep!

Message 4 of 22
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Gotcha I do understand MCC's, but obviosuly Amazon has Amazon, Full-filled by Amazon, etc.

Ya was awake at 5:15 am on saturday for 3 hours putting out fires due to fiscal year change and processes running for first time on 2nd of month and again today at 7am page for another thing.   Hopefully you aren't as busy on call as I am on some weeks!

Message 5 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Gotcha I do understand MCC's, but obviosuly Amazon has Amazon, Full-filled by Amazon, etc.

Ya was awake at 5:15 am on saturday for 3 hours putting out fires due to fiscal year change and processes running for first time on 2nd of month and again today at 7am page for another thing.   Hopefully you aren't as busy on call as I am on some weeks!

sounds similar to the horror stories I am hearing from my team... we have to support teams in Ireland and India so they tend to call or email in the wee hours of the night here, and we're supposed to respond within 15 minutes Smiley Sad 

But, it's at least 15% base pay increase, few hundred per week as an on-call stipend (whether you actually do anything or not), and they reimburse your cell phone and internet bills so I think it'll be worth it.

Message 6 of 22
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

I asked this same question a few weeks back in another thread and several people replied "of course it will!" and tried to re-educate me on MasterCard MCCs (uh, thanks?) but literally nobody who actually had the card spoke up and confirmed that all Amazon purchases (or any, for that matter) got them 3% cash back on the Marvel card.  Smiley Indifferent

I'm not a rocket scientist or brain surgeon, but I understand MCCs fairly well (LOL) and would still like to hear from an actual owner of a Marvel card on this.

So, for you Marvel card holders out there, are you getting 3% back on all Amazon purchases, or just Amazon 'proper'?  How about MarketPlace? 

Let us know how it's working out for you!  Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

UncleB,

You would get the 3% on all purchases billed directly to Amazon, so physical goods sold or fulfilled by them because those are billed under the MCC of bookstore. Anyone who has a Mastercard can see that already.

With the Marvel card, you will also get the 3% on digital purchases from Amazon Digital Services because it has a different MCC that falls into the "digital entertainment" category.

I'm not sure why people think that you have to "test" the system out with the card, rather than understanding how it works. Every card on a given payment network will have a given merchant coded exactly the same way.
Message 8 of 22
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
UncleB,

You would get the 3% on all purchases billed directly to Amazon, so physical goods sold or fulfilled by them because those are billed under the MCC of bookstore. Anyone who has a Mastercard can see that already.

With the Marvel card, you will also get the 3% on digital purchases from Amazon Digital Services because it has a different MCC that falls into the "digital entertainment" category.

I'm not sure why people think that you have to "test" the system out with the card, rather than understanding how it works. Every card on a given payment network will have a given merchant coded exactly the same way.

Thanks for your input, but I don't feel I need to "test" the system, I would just like to hear from some folks who actually have the card

I do have a MasterCard - actually I have five.  With my specific cards I don't see the MCC used for billing; perhaps I'm an outlier?  The only MC or Visa I have that shows an MCC for my purchases is (oddly enough) my Wells Fargo Visa debit card.

I agree completely that it 'should' work the way you describe, but there's no harm in asking existing card holders if their real-world experience matches our expectations, right?  Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know CC or UncleB. DH hasn't used his card for an Amazon purchase. When or if he does, I will let you know.

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.