Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max limit on Macys store card?

tag
IWOL
Established Contributor

Max limit on Macys store card?

I currently have  a limit of $5000 on my Macy's store card.

I was chatting online with a CSR this morning about an increase. Im looking at buying a mattress with their 24 months no interest offer on mattress purchases over $1500. The mattress I want to purchase is $4200 so I have enough available credit but I would prefer not to have a card reporting over 90% util for a few months as I would plan to pay this off over 9 months or so.

They keep trying to offer me a Special Events account but I dont want a new account on my report so I was wondering if any one out there has a store card limit of 10k or 15K.....anyone know what the max limit on store card is?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Max limit on Macys store card?

@IWOL wrote:

I currently have  a limit of $5000 on my Macy's store card.

I was chatting online with a CSR this morning about an increase. Im looking at buying a mattress with their 24 months no interest offer on mattress purchases over $1500. The mattress I want to purchase is $4200 so I have enough available credit but I would prefer not to have a card reporting over 90% util for a few months as I would plan to pay this off over 9 months or so.

They keep trying to offer me a Special Events account but I dont want a new account on my report so I was wondering if any one out there has a store card limit of 10k or 15K.....anyone know what the max limit on store card is?

dont think they have a cap on the CL.

if you want the 0% promo you will need to put the purchase on the special accounts. The regular store card will not have the promo if I am not wrong.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 14
IWOL
Established Contributor

On the website it says "on your Macy's card"

Message 3 of 14
enharu
Super Contributor

@IWOL wrote:

oh it does seem like the regular macys card will work then.

have you tried asking them for a CLI yet? If you want to avoid a new account entirely, you can always ask for a HP CLI for a more significant CLI.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 4 of 14
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@enharu wrote:

@IWOL wrote:

have you tried asking them for a CLI yet? If you want to avoid a new account entirely, you can always ask for a HP CLI for a more significant CLI.

Yes, for Macys Credit Card BUT it will be on the Furniture Account -or whatever they call it nowadays. 

Message 5 of 14
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@enharu wrote:

@IWOL wrote:

it is on your macys card... but Macy's uses MANY lines OFF of your main Macy's Account

If you want the 0% it's a "Special Purchar or Major Purchase" account they give you and it will report a new line.

You could purchase on your regular Macy's card but it will have no 0% so you would have to pay in full or pay the 24.5%.

I don't know of any max limit with the regular store card either, I have had $10,700 before on store and $12k on Amex and 5800 on Major Purchase at 1 given time... I have read as much as $27,000 on just a store account before.

other then the possible hit to AA having the major purchase account isn't a big deal, they will give it to you with a sp almost 99% of the time and it will automatically close out when it hits $0 and it only reports if you actually use it.

Message 6 of 14
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@Creditaddict wrote:

@enharu wrote:

@IWOL wrote:

it is on your macys card... but Macy's uses MANY lines OFF of your main Macy's Account

If you want the 0% it's a "Special Purchar or Major Purchase" account they give you and it will report a new line.

You could purchase on your regular Macy's card but it will have no 0% so you would have to pay in full or pay the 24.5%.

I don't know of any max limit with the regular store card either, I have had $10,700 before on store and $12k on Amex and 5800 on Major Purchase at 1 given time... I have read as much as $27,000 on just a store account before.

other then the possible hit to AA having the major purchase account isn't a big deal, they will give it to you with a sp almost 99% of the time and it will automatically close out when it hits $0 and it only reports if you actually use it.

Thanks Creditaddict!  Your explanation was far better than mine. 

Message 7 of 14
notfancy
Valued Contributor

I'm  curious about this. If you use the major purchase line, and pay it off, will that report for 10 years as a positive account? Or does that line come off your credit report once it is paid?

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 8 of 14
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@notfancy wrote:

I'm  curious about this. If you use the major purchase line, and pay it off, will that report for 10 years as a positive account? Or does that line come off your credit report once it is paid?

you know what I just logged into my EX monitoring because I pulled a tri-report yesterday and I don't see either of my 2 major purchase accounts I have had in the past....

I could have sworn they use to be there but the CL would go down as I paid and then went away once it was paid.

Message 9 of 14
notfancy
Valued Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@notfancy wrote:

you know what I just logged into my EX monitoring because I pulled a tri-report yesterday and I don't see either of my 2 major purchase accounts I have had in the past....

I could have sworn they use to be there but the CL would go down as I paid and then went away once it was paid.

Hm so it could potentially be helpful or harmful while it's there, but once paid, your AAoA should go back up, since that "new" additional tradeline got removed... interesting. Thanks, CA!

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.