cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maybe it's time to move on from Cap1 to better things.

tag
marcforza1
Frequent Contributor

Maybe it's time to move on from Cap1 to better things.

After doing some thinking this year about my goal cards and what will truly work for me, I think it might be time for me to go to bigger and brighter cards than Cap1. Though they're decent cards, I think that my upward trend on my scores recently will put me in a position to where I can try another shot at Amex next month once I let the low balances post this month and August. Covid-19 kind of set me back in April and parts of May due to unemployment payment delays. But I rebounded big at the end of May and June after eliminating unnecessary expenses and making huge payments on most of the cards. My biggest issues with the Cap1 cards has been their inability to upgrade and the stubborness of CLI requests throughout the past 2 1/2 years despite me using them. I know I can't blame them entirely for being stingy with CLI, but I would like to have all my cards at least make it to $2K, which I would be satisfied with. Not looking for $10K card limits, but a good enough limit in case some unexpected expenses would happen. So, here's is my plan for the rest of 2020 and going into the beginning of 2021. 

Amex Hilton Honors- Can benefit from the SUB, restaurant and gas purchases. Will apply in August when scores continue to climb up like it has been recently. 

Discover IT- Definitely a keeper. 

Quicksilver- One of my older cards pushing four years. Might hold on for another year but will be in the back of my wallet for only Planet Fitness membership. 

Quicksilver One- This is the first to go bye-bye once I get a hold of the HH card. Trying to go no AF on the cards. 

Slate- Another older card. May end it but might PC to Freedom so I can have another 5% card (will know by Friday). 

Freedom Unlimited- My oldest card that's not an AU. Only using for PS Plus and <$20 Amazon orders while paying off balance. 

Shell card- This one is also going bye-bye by the end of the year. 

So, would the Paypal Mastercard be a good option to replace both the QS and QS1 due to it's reputation of having good CLI or go with the Freedom? Savor One was on my 2021 radar despite the dreaded triple pull and folks have had their share of difficulties gettting it. I wouldn't even mind getting a Amex BCE next year but I don't spend enough in the grocery store to warrant getting that card. With all of this, am I doing the right thing with replacing the Cap1 cards for something else that will obviously grow more and be more beneficial? I'm sure others have shared similar feelings about going beyond Cap1 cards. 

FICO 8 Scores 12/2017: EX-596; TU-604; EQ-591
Current: EX-648; TU-665; EQ-678
AAoA: 4.4 yrs
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
blindambition
Senior Contributor

Re: Maybe it's time to move on from Cap1 to better things.

It is possible to outgrow a lender, for many reasons, but the grass isn't always greener. The Hilton and Disco are good cards. While your CO have not grown much, the progress on others might have a slow growth. COVID has also affected CLI on Amex and Disco. Consider and keep that in mind.

Message 2 of 3
marcforza1
Frequent Contributor

Re: Maybe it's time to move on from Cap1 to better things.

@blindambition wrote:

It is possible to outgrow a lender, for many reasons, but the grass isn't always greener. The Hilton and Disco are good cards. While your CO have not grown much, the progress on others might have a slow growth. COVID has also affected CLI on Amex and Disco. Consider and keep that in mind.

I definitely considered how lenders are right now given the circumstances with Covid-19. The HH card is really the only card I'm apping for this year (last app/approval was August 2019 with Discover and Synchrony Sam Ash). Even if I get approved and the starting CL is $1000-$1500, that's at least a step in the right direction and room to grow in 2021, even if it's slowly. 

FICO 8 Scores 12/2017: EX-596; TU-604; EQ-591
Current: EX-648; TU-665; EQ-678
AAoA: 4.4 yrs
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.