cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minimum Opening Deposit for Discover IT Card for Students & Chase Freedom Card?

tag
bookswombook
New Visitor

Minimum Opening Deposit for Discover IT Card for Students & Chase Freedom Card?

Hi,

I am a college student and I was wondering if there was an opening deposit for the Discover IT card for Students and the Chase Freedom card? My current credit score, according to Credit Karma, is 649, with student loans. I have been looking everywhere and can't get an answer.

Sorry if this is a stupid question; I just need to know before I apply, because I want to make sure I have the money first.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
IcEWoLF
Frequent Contributor

Re: Minimum Opening Deposit for Discover IT Card for Students & Chase Freedom Card?

@bookswombook wrote:

Hi,

I am a college student and I was wondering if there was an opening deposit for the Discover IT card for Students and the Chase Freedom card? My current credit score, according to Credit Karma, is 649, with student loans. I have been looking everywhere and can't get an answer.

Sorry if this is a stupid question; I just need to know before I apply, because I want to make sure I have the money first.

Hi there, first of all welcome to the forums!

To answer your question, Discover IT and Chase Freedom are unsecured cards, so you don't need to put a deposit to get them.

Discover IT is nice, but the problem is, it's a Discover card and a lot of merchants may not accept Discover, where Visa is pretty much accepted everywhere.

I've been hearing both companies have been very generous as of late. Smiley Happy

Apply without fear Smiley Happy

EQ: 768 TU: 769 EXP: 805
Ritz Carlton: 18k
CSP: 7K | Chase Freedom: 5.7K
MERRILL+® VS: 9K | BOA AMEX: 1K
BOA 123: 7K Discover IT: 6K | Discover Chrome 4K | Costco AMEX: 15K | AMEX PRG NPSL | AMEX BCE 15K | Barclay NFL: 4.9K | Citi TYP 7K | Amazon Chase 1.7K | Barclaycard Arrival Plus WEMC 5K | Citi DC 5K | FNBO AMEX 4.8K | CAP 1 QS 10K | U.S. Bank Cash+ VS 5K |U.S. Bank Perks+ VS 6K
Message 2 of 8
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Minimum Opening Deposit for Discover IT Card for Students & Chase Freedom Card?

@IcEWoLF wrote:

@bookswombook wrote:

Hi,

Hi there, first of all welcome to the forums!

To answer your question, Discover IT and Chase Freedom are unsecured cards, so you don't need to put a deposit to get them.

Discover IT is nice, but the problem is, it's a Discover card and a lot of merchants may not accept Discover, where Visa is pretty much accepted everywhere.

I've been hearing both companies have been very generous as of late. Smiley Happy

Apply without fear Smiley Happy

Welcome to the forum

Do you know your other scores?

Do you have any baddies?

Do you currently have any other cards?

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 8
mikey78
Frequent Contributor

You shouldn't really have tough time finding merchants that doesn't accept DIscover here in the State
maybe internationally it maybe of concern But there is not 1 store that i ran into that doesn't accept discover

but the card is very good Smiley Happy i love it that's why i'm paying down the debt so i can use it

Current score TU 708, EX 686 EQ 715
Status I.T.Garden Till 08/2014
Message 4 of 8
bookswombook
New Visitor

Hi,

I do not know any other scores, I don't think I have any baddies, and I mostly have debit cards under my name. My bank is PNC. 

Message 5 of 8
mikey78
Frequent Contributor

do you have any cards?if so which
have you made any late payments?? any cards gone to collections?
how old is the oldest card and which card is your most recent

Current score TU 708, EX 686 EQ 715
Status I.T.Garden Till 08/2014
Message 6 of 8
Dubious
Frequent Contributor

What do you mean that you "mostly" have debit cards under your name? Do you have any credit cards at all?

I suggest familiarizing yourself with what a credit card is first, before applying for one. 

Message 7 of 8
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Ae you a student with income?

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.