Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Balance Transfer to Checking Account Experiment

tag
NewYorkGuy
Established Member

My Balance Transfer to Checking Account Experiment

I just did two seperate balance transfer transactions online. I requesed a balance transfer from my Discover card to my Chase checking account and I made another transfer request from my FNBO Discover card to my Chase checking account. I made the requests for relatively small amounts. I am basically doing this as an experiment to see if the funds will actually transfer into my cheking account with no issue.

FYI, I plugged in my checking account number (the full number as shown on my checking account statement) into the box that asks for creditor account #. I put my bank's deposit mailing address as the creditor address. The computer took the transfer without any issue and I received the confirmation and usual message that it can take up to two weeks to be processed. I will wait and see if the funds get deposited into my account and if it is treated as a balance transfer at the promotional rate or a cash advance.

I've done balance transfers into my cheking account a number of times but usually by writing BT checks to myself and then physically deposting it into my account. I've also done it online using the Citi direct-deposit to checking option. However this is my first time requesting a BT online on a card that doesn't offer direct-deposit to checking balance transfers. I am essentially using my checking account number as the credit card number to pay off in this case. I am eager to see if it will go through as a balance transfer or get treated as a cash advance. If the latter is the case, I'll just pay back the card immediately to avoid the interest. I'll keep you posted...

Message 1 of 35
34 REPLIES 34
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Re: My Balance Transfer to Checking Account Experiment

I almost tried this the other day.
I like Discover's "Cash Over" option.

I like to use the checks too bc the terms are usually stated on the checks lol!
Plus, I can make a payment to whatever account I need to more quickly than the bank themself can! Lol
Hope you don't get any cash advance charges!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 2 of 35
tray
Valued Contributor

This past Monday I did a balance transfer for the very first time from my Discover card recieved a mailing promo with convenience checks 0% apr for 12 months with a temporary cli of $3,000.00 for doing balance transfer for 12 months with 2% balance transfer fee, I deposited one of the checks in my checking account Monday evening, next morning amount was available in checking, blance transfer was for $3,000.00 balance transfer fee showing on line $60.00.  I am already paying off other creditors and just like above poster this is much a quicker process.  Now just waiting on cli to post per discover within 7 days.  I say Discover wasy to goSmiley Happy

Starting Score: EQ 546 TU 566
Current Score: EQ 693TU 08 729 EX 08 738Need to Garden/New Accounts
Goal Score: 800
Message 3 of 35
NewYorkGuy
Established Member

@NewYorkGuy wrote:

I just did two seperate balance transfer transactions online. I requesed a balance transfer from my Discover card to my Chase checking account and I made another transfer request from my FNBO Discover card to my Chase checking account. I made the requests for relatively small amounts. I am basically doing this as an experiment to see if the funds will actually transfer into my cheking account with no issue.

FYI, I plugged in my checking account number (the full number as shown on my checking account statement) into the box that asks for creditor account #. I put my bank's deposit mailing address as the creditor address. The computer took the transfer without any issue and I received the confirmation and usual message that it can take up to two weeks to be processed. I will wait and see if the funds get deposited into my account and if it is treated as a balance transfer at the promotional rate or a cash advance.

I've done balance transfers into my cheking account a number of times but usually by writing BT checks to myself and then physically deposting it into my account. I've also done it online using the Citi direct-deposit to checking option. However this is my first time requesting a BT online on a card that doesn't offer direct-deposit to checking balance transfers. I am essentially using my checking account number as the credit card number to pay off in this case. I am eager to see if it will go through as a balance transfer or get treated as a cash advance. If the latter is the case, I'll just pay back the card immediately to avoid the interest. I'll keep you posted...

I am pleased to announce that the experiment was successful! Smiley Very Happy I did the balance transfer transactions online using my checking account number and the balance transfer funds arrived in my checking account in 3 days. I can confirm that the transactions posted on both credit cards as balance transfers and not cash advances.

I've always wondered if this was possible and apparently it is. I checked my bank accout acitiviy online and they even posted an image of the balance transfer check that was sent to them. Most important of all the transactions were treated as balance transfers by both creditors. This could be a convenient way for me to directly access my promotional apr balance transfer funds in the future when I need it. Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 35
enharu
Super Contributor

i am confused (sorry, noob here).

so if i am to do this as well, all i need is my checking account number, no need for the routing number?

do they mail you the check and you deposit it at the branch yourself?

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 5 of 35
Pilotdude
Established Contributor

+1

I'd be interested to know that as well.  I was considering BTing a couple things for my wife but if this an option, I would like to know more first. 

Smiley Happy

NFCU #1 Fan!! NO MOAR APPS TIL 10/13 Minimum!!
TU -746, EX - 721, EQ -745
Cards:NFCU Flag Visa Sig $10000, CSP $8500, AMEX BCP $2000 Freedom $3500, Disc IT $5000, Cap 1 Green $2100, Credit 1 CLOSED! AU on Amex Green, Discover $2000, Cap One Plat $1000
Message 6 of 35
MrShush
Valued Contributor

This "trick" is very useful for consolidating multiple balances onto a single card. Suppose you have a BT check, you can certainly write it to yourself, deposit it to your checking account and  pay whatever from there. It works 99% of the time.

Message 7 of 35
NewYorkGuy
Established Member

@enharu wrote:

i am confused (sorry, noob here).

so if i am to do this as well, all i need is my checking account number, no need for the routing number?

do they mail you the check and you deposit it at the branch yourself?

The transaction is done online as a regular balance transfer. The balance transfer check is mailed by the credit card company directly to your bank where you have the checking account just as they would mail it to another credit card company to pay off another credit card. You need your complete checking account number as it appears on your checking account statement. Put your bank's deposit mailing address (search for it online if you don't know it) as the creditor address on the balance transfer form online. It will be treated as a regular balance transfer and the balance transfer check will be sent to your bank's deposit address where it will then be credited to your checking account. Both transactions took only 3 days in my case and it went through with no issues. Smiley Tongue

Message 8 of 35
NewYorkGuy
Established Member

@MrShush wrote:

This "trick" is very useful for consolidating multiple balances onto a single card. Suppose you have a BT check, you can certainly write it to yourself, deposit it to your checking account and  pay whatever from there. It works 99% of the time.

Writing balance transfer checks out to yourself is nothing new. I've done that several times but not all banks will issue the checks. What I am talking about is online balance transfer transactions using your checking account number to have the funds sent directly to your checking account and most important of all, get posted as a balance transfer. I managed to accomplish this with my experiment.

Message 9 of 35
MrShush
Valued Contributor

@NewYorkGuy wrote:

@MrShush wrote:

Writing balance transfer checks out to yourself is nothing new. I've done that several times but not all banks will issue the checks. What I am talking about is online balance transfer transactions using your checking account number to have the funds sent directly to your checking account and most important of all, get posted as a balance transfer. I managed to accomplish this with my experiment.

Yep, online BT works too. You just have to read the disclosures; not every transfer is coded as a BT.

Message 10 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.