cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My USAA Secured AMEX is Graduating

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Frequent Contributor

My USAA Secured AMEX is Graduating

It's been seven years. The limit is $1000 and it used to be my primary card. I haven't used it in a year and I didn't think USAA would ever budge on their secured cards but I received a letter today stating my card is upgrading to a rewards card.

I did a search to see if anyone else had posted or heard anything about this but came up empty, so just wanted to share.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Moderator Emeritus

Re: My USAA Secured AMEX is Graduating

I thought I recall reading that they changed their secured card policies a year or two ago... I haven't been paying as much attention to that market vs. when I was deep subprime and desperately needed secured cards.

Nice to see them apply this basically retroactively to their old accounts too... I still have one secured card from DCU which just sits with a minimum deposit as it's one of my oldest tradelines and it's seriously unlikely they will ever take it away from me short of a BK no matter hat happens to me in my financial life.

In my case my USAA card was one of the first unsecured cards I got, and I used them a few times for secured installment loans (even if secured against a CD isn't the best solution for reindeer games) and I still carry all my insurance through them but good to see them be righteous elsewhere.

        
Message 2 of 6
Super Contributor

7 years, that's a long wait. Congrats!

Message 3 of 6
Super Contributor

Congrats! Good things come to those who wait. Happy Holidays!!!!!!!!

My posts are JMHO. My siggy is not to brag at all. Just sharing my experiences after learning here from rebuild to recovery after BK DC @ 540's. And to show fellow members what can be accomplished when you do it right and play the FICO Credit Game.
Message 4 of 6
Valued Contributor

That's wonderful news, congratulations!!

I'm so glad USAA finally made the decision to allow their secured cards to graduate (and, that nearly a year after making that decision, they're finally implementing it!). It was a good option for (re)builders but it sucked that it didn't graduate. I kept mine for a year - just long enough to build history and app for one of their unsecured cards. Of course, just a few months after I closed my secured, I found out they were working on changing the program to include graduation - now I wish I would have held onto the secured card... 😔

Anyway, congrats!!
Personal Aphorism:
"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"

Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 01/2020: EX 767 ✦ EQ 742 ✦ TU 757
Current FICO 9s | 01/2019: EX 774 ✦ EQ 776 ✦ TU 766
Highest FICO-8 Ever | 10/2018: 780 [on dirty report]

2020 Goal Score | 790s

My AAoA: 2.11 years not incl. AU / 3.2 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 6.11 years not incl. AU / 8.11 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/6 | 3/12 ✦ EQ 0/6 | 4/12 ✦ TU 0/6 | 1/12
Report Status: Clean

Tending my Garden til 6/2020

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 5 of 6
Frequent Contributor

I recall they changed up their messaging about the secured cards a couple years back, about when I gave up on any chance of the card graduating. I’ glad they’ve decided to allow it to grow. Going to wait until I have lower reported balances before I request a “credit limit change” (first time seeing this option). Maybe I won’t have to neglect this card any more. 😂

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.