cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU: Anyone else get $1K CL on first card?

tag
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

Re: NFCU: Anyone else get $1K CL on first card?

@Anonymous wrote:

My first card cash rewards was 1k, then at my 91/3 mark I got my second card flagship at 24.5k. Also upped the cli to 3k for cash rewards. 

What's the recommended order come 91/3: is it request CLI on CC#1 and then apply for CC#2 or vice versa? 

Potential Future Cards
Message 11 of 31
Mv350
Valued Contributor

@Wavester64 wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I am glad to be a member of NFCU with all the positive things said about them on here.

And no, I wasn't expecting a $15K CL or a $25K CL.

But with my numbers I wasn't expecting $1K CL either. Smiley Very Happy

At @Anonymous 's suggestion to another, I did send a SM to see if they can up the CL to take advantage of a BT. (still awaiting a reply)

Was wondering if anyone else's first go round with NFCU got them a $1K CL and if so, were you surprised about it being that low?

I was given a 1k SL I also sent a SM to try for recon to take advantage of the BT intro period. I was denied, but they said try for an increase after 91 days. I am currently impatiently waiting. 

Message 12 of 31
Mv350
Valued Contributor

@tcbofade wrote:

Didn't happen to me, but DID happen to DW.

Her first NFCU card was a $500 platinum.  Smiley Indifferent

That was January of 2018.

...currently, it's CL is $16,500.  Her Cash Rewards is now at $21,000 and her Flagship is at $24,500.

Be patient.  Pay your bill on time. 

It'll grow.  Smiley Wink

Boss lady also got 500, she wasn't happy. I told her in the future it'll grow. Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 31
sladesurfer
Regular Contributor

@Wavester64 wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I am glad to be a member of NFCU with all the positive things said about them on here.

At @Anonymous 's suggestion to another, I did send a SM to see if they can up the CL to take advantage of a BT. (still awaiting a reply)

Was wondering if anyone else's first go round with NFCU got them a $1K CL and if so, were you surprised about it being that low?

My Platinum card is $5500 with 680 score when i got it...

PenFed Power Cash Rewards
Penfed Gold
NFCU Amex More Rewards
NFCU Cash Rewards
NFCU Flagship
Goldman Sachs Apple Card
Chase IHG Rewards Club Card
Chase Freedom Flex
Chase Freedom Unlimited
Amex Business Prime Card
Amex Marriott Brilliant Card
Amex Hilton Aspire Card
Amex Charles Schwab Platinum
Amex Gold Card
US Bank Cash+ card
Discover It Card
Capital One Quicksilver Card
Citi Double Cash
Citi Premier
Message 14 of 31
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Is it typical to get higher CLs for the first card if you wait a while to apply for the card after joining NFCU, or does it only matter that it's your first NFCU credit card? I know there's probably not much solid data, just looking for anecdotal info. Thanks!

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 15 of 31
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

@KJinNC wrote:

Is it typical to get higher CLs for the first card if you wait a while to apply for the card after joining NFCU, or does it only matter that it's your first NFCU credit card? I know there's probably not much solid data, just looking for anecdotal info. Thanks!

I joined and apped 2 or 3 days later over the phone.  Got 3900$ and just above the lowest APR for the cash rewards card.  1 year post discharge.  TU8 around 670.

Edit to add:

Income 92k

No housing payment

No CC debt

No auto loans

40k private student loans

175k federal student loans 

Desired BK recovery line up complete 7/12/2021. Planning to garden until 8/2023 and potentially try for AMEX.
Message 16 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@KJinNC wrote:

When I joined 9/2018 I applied for membership and cashRewards at the same time. I was approved for $3K @ 11.4% (lowest APR at the time) with 647 TU8. 

Message 17 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Wavester64 wrote:

It happens; and when it does its usually because lenders are sending you a message.  In my case I was approved for $1,000 for a NFCU Cash Rewards card which was my 15th approval in a 9-month period.  Judging by your recent denial for an unsecured BofA card and now a low SL from Navy its probably time to garden.  Also, the variance between your "numbers" suggests that you have some sort of derogatory on your credit report and that affected your approval by Navy.

Message 18 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

First card: cashRewards $1k

Second card: Flagship $15k, 91 days later

Third card: Platinum $25k, 94 days later

Don't worry too much about your first card limit! They will reward you mightily in 3 months!Smiley Very Happy

Message 19 of 31
MrZero
Regular Contributor

I applied and was approved earlier this month with a $1,000 SL with 14.49% APR on my first card (also Cash Rewards) and was more surprised that it was that high because cause it's more than twice the combined limit of my two secured cards currently, I've only started building my own credit last December, my income isn't particularly high either at $25,000 currently. That said, my TU FICO8 as stated in my sig was 835 when I applied thanks to the history of an old AU on a now closed account that padded it to be around 700 and being added as an AU to one of my mother's cards a couple months ago as well as the SSL I got with NFCU a little over a week prior on March 24 (and immediately brought down to 8%) and was reported at the end of the month or start of April. I applied as soon as I knew my TU CR was updated and was suprised at how much it jumped in such a short time.

The the 91/3 CLI request and especially second card app is going to be really interesting with what the state of things could be by July. I'll be legit shocked if they break five figures with it for me.

Updated 8/12/22.

Total Inquiries: EX: 1|TU: 1|EQ: 1
Derogs: 0
AAoA: 2Y1M
AoOA: 2Y6M.
AoYA: 1Y1M.
Total CL: 57,600
Utilization: ~1%

Message 20 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.