Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Eligibility Verification?

tag
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

Re: NFCU Eligibility Verification?

@09Lexie: Point taken. I'm probably going to be biased b/c of what I stated earlier: That former honorably-discharged service members (unless drawing a pension) cannot join---but brothers, grandmothers, roommates, sons of roommates, etc.-etc.-etc. ARE allowed to join. A big F-A-I-L (IMO).

BUSINESS
Rewards Pts.-Miles: UR-MR-TYP-Venture
Message 21 of 36
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@Credit-hoarder

My DH feels the same as you. He's a veteran and can only join through me (father and grandfather were retired) or our DS. Ticks him off to no end.
Message 22 of 36
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@watch44

The wording is 'household' family members. IIRC, this requirement has not changed. Once a eligible member moves out then you are no longer eligible. This is how roommates get in
Message 23 of 36
xerostatus
Regular Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
@watch44

The wording is 'household' family members. IIRC, this requirement has not changed. Once a eligible member moves out then you are no longer eligible. This is how roommates get in

According to the aforementioned facebook reply from NFCU:

"You are qualified for membership as long as your immediate family/household members are qualified for membership."

Based on that wording, I'm interpreting that as "immediate family" and/or "household members."

So, if that assumption is correct, you may be correct that a household member must be living with you for you to be/remain eligible;

On the other hand, it doesn't appear that a family member has to be "household."

This is again re-enforced by NFCU's eligibility checklist:

"Family Members—including grandparents, parents, spouses, siblings, grandchildren, children (including adopted and stepchildren) and household members"

Message 24 of 36
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

There have been posts where a brother was deployed and the sponsored members eligibility was deemed invalid once the address change was picked up by NFCU . So, I will assume that the relationship is not the only indicator.

Edit :roommate
Message 25 of 36
DiabolicallyRandom
Established Contributor

That is crazy that they would later take a membership away, even if you were actually eligible at the time you joined.

Message 26 of 36
watch44
Frequent Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
There have been posts where a brother was deployed and the sponsored members eligibility was deemed invalid once the address change was picked up by NFCU . So, I will assume that the relationship is not the only indicator.

Well that just doesn't make any sense. It would make as much sense as revoking people's memberships when they get discharged from the service or stop working for the DoD. Membership is for life. I'd reserve judgment on such heresay.

(Hover over pics for details) 
FICO:  TU 731 (05/14/14)   EX 749 (04/24/14)   EQ 684 (02/05/14)   Goal 700
FAKO:  TU 761 (05/20/14)   EX 761 (05/20/14)   EQ 743 (05/20/14)
Message 27 of 36
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@watch44

I will try to locate the post but iirc the brother was deployed (not a member) and either NFCU sent mail to him or an address change was generated, the sister was notified that the move was the reason. It was a few months ago, give me a bit to try and find it.
Message 28 of 36
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita
watch44
Frequent Contributor

Lexie, I'm not saying that I don't believe you, I just thought it was curious since adult siblings rarely live in the same household anyway. Regardless, the fact that she has a brother who is deployed (active), that alone would qualify her for membership. It might have simply been a case of not being able to prove proof that she had a brother when Sec Dep came calling.

(Hover over pics for details) 
FICO:  TU 731 (05/14/14)   EX 749 (04/24/14)   EQ 684 (02/05/14)   Goal 700
FAKO:  TU 761 (05/20/14)   EX 761 (05/20/14)   EQ 743 (05/20/14)
Message 30 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.