cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Frustration- When Will NREWARDS Graduate?!?

tag
kidink1911
Established Contributor

NFCU Frustration- When Will NREWARDS Graduate?!?

So I woke up this morning and checked my NFCU app to see if my nRewards VISA had unsecured and graduated. I've had the card for a year now with no CLIs or becoming unsecure.

In that SAME year I've been approved for the More Rewards and cashRewards Visa Signature as well as maintaining ample balances in my Flagship Checking, Savings, and certificates.

I called the CSR at NFCU and asked when will the nRewards unsecure. The CSR could hear my frustration with the amount of spend I do with the other 2 cards and PIF on both. 

I just feel defeated with this nRewards card. When will it be my time for my card to graduate? (rhetorical question but I just had to vent- it's frustrating :smileymad).

PERSONAL: AMEX Platinum- NPSL / AMEX Gold- NPSL / Macy's AMEX Card- $4,500 / SavorOne- $500 / PenFed Gold Visa- $5,000 / Venmo Visa - $20,000 / PayPal MC- $20,000 / PayPal Credit- $1,700 / NFCU Visa Signature cashRewards- $5,800 / AMEX Delta Platinum- $4,200 / NFCU More Rewards AMEX- $3,400 / NFCU Cash Rewards- $4,000 / Credit One Platinum Visa Rewards- $1,000 / Discover IT Chrome- $1,000 / Capital One Venture- $3,550 / AMEX Cash Magnet Card- $1,000 / Belk MC Card- $800 / Citi Shell Mastercard- $400 / Credit One AMEX- $800 / Capital One Spark- $700 / Capital One Platinum- $300 / Citibank Shell- $400 / Oportun Visa- $500 / Fifth Third Bank MC- $300
BUSINESS: American Express Business Platinum- NPSL / AMEX Hilton Honors Business Card- $3,000 / AMEX Delta Platinum Business Card- $3,000 / Marriott Bonvoy Business Card- $3,000 / American Express Business Gold- NPSL / American Express Business Green- NPSL / Sam's Club Business Mastercard- $20,000 / Floor and Decor Pro Premier Business- $20,000 / Phillips 66-Conoco-76 Business Gas Card- $5,000 / Walmart Community Credit Line- $5,000 / Fuelman Mastercard- $3,000 / Amazon Synchrony Business Credit Line- $5,000 / Lowe's Business Credit- $5,000 / Office Depot Commercial Credit- $2,500 / Tractor Supply Company Business- $1,500 / Citi Exxon/Mobil Business Gas Card- $3,000 / Speedway Business Mastercard- $4,500
17 REPLIES 17
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Re: NFCU Frustration- When Will NREWARDS Graduate?!?

I personally would close the card.

You have More Rewards and Cash Rewards.

After it is closed, you could always apply for a third unsecured card.

It really is not worth being frustrated over. JMHO

Message 2 of 18
WavysMommy
Regular Contributor

@kidink1911 wrote:

So I woke up this morning and checked my NFCU app to see if my nRewards VISA had unsecured and graduated. I've had the card for a year now with no CLIs or becoming unsecure.

In that SAME year I've been approved for the More Rewards and cashRewards Visa Signature as well as maintaining ample balances in my Flagship Checking, Savings, and certificates.

I called the CSR at NFCU and asked when will the nRewards unsecure. The CSR could hear my frustration with the amount of spend I do with the other 2 cards and PIF on both. 

I just feel defeated with this nRewards card. When will it be my time for my card to graduate? (rhetorical question but I just had to vent- it's frustrating :smileymad).

My NRewards graduated shortly after my Go Rewards approval. I know it can be frustrating but it will happen. I was almost at a year when it finally graduated. Not sure what triggers it but I would say just be patient a little longer. It would be a waste of a pull to close it out of frustration.

When was you last NavyFed approval? And how many other cards in the last 12 months?

Message 3 of 18
Lou-natic
Established Contributor

What does the nRewards graduate to? Does it stay at 1 point per dollar but you just get your deposit back or does it graduate to a different card? I see now...

"Then, at 6 months, we’ll review your account monthly to see if you’re eligible to have your hold removed and be upgraded to a cashRewards unsecured card."

Since you already have a cash rewards card I would close the secured card.

3/3/24
Message 4 of 18
kidink1911
Established Contributor

My last NFCU approval was in November with my cashRewards Visa Signature card and I was approved in April 2021 for the More Rewards card. I did get approved for 2 other cards in the last year.

PERSONAL: AMEX Platinum- NPSL / AMEX Gold- NPSL / Macy's AMEX Card- $4,500 / SavorOne- $500 / PenFed Gold Visa- $5,000 / Venmo Visa - $20,000 / PayPal MC- $20,000 / PayPal Credit- $1,700 / NFCU Visa Signature cashRewards- $5,800 / AMEX Delta Platinum- $4,200 / NFCU More Rewards AMEX- $3,400 / NFCU Cash Rewards- $4,000 / Credit One Platinum Visa Rewards- $1,000 / Discover IT Chrome- $1,000 / Capital One Venture- $3,550 / AMEX Cash Magnet Card- $1,000 / Belk MC Card- $800 / Citi Shell Mastercard- $400 / Credit One AMEX- $800 / Capital One Spark- $700 / Capital One Platinum- $300 / Citibank Shell- $400 / Oportun Visa- $500 / Fifth Third Bank MC- $300
BUSINESS: American Express Business Platinum- NPSL / AMEX Hilton Honors Business Card- $3,000 / AMEX Delta Platinum Business Card- $3,000 / Marriott Bonvoy Business Card- $3,000 / American Express Business Gold- NPSL / American Express Business Green- NPSL / Sam's Club Business Mastercard- $20,000 / Floor and Decor Pro Premier Business- $20,000 / Phillips 66-Conoco-76 Business Gas Card- $5,000 / Walmart Community Credit Line- $5,000 / Fuelman Mastercard- $3,000 / Amazon Synchrony Business Credit Line- $5,000 / Lowe's Business Credit- $5,000 / Office Depot Commercial Credit- $2,500 / Tractor Supply Company Business- $1,500 / Citi Exxon/Mobil Business Gas Card- $3,000 / Speedway Business Mastercard- $4,500
Message 5 of 18
BearsCubsOtters
Frequent Contributor

@kidink1911 wrote:

It does not seem to make sense does it? Giving you two other cards but not unsecuring the secured card.

However, in reviewing your other cards, you have very low credit lines across the board. In fact, NFCU has given you your current highest limit. My theory is that you may have reached the internal threshold of available credit that NFCU is willing to lend to you at this time. Therefore, they cannot unsecure the nRewards card until your credit profile qualifies for more credit. This could be as little as six months away (as long as you resist requesting CLIs on the other two cards).  

As others have said, it does not seem worth getting upset about. You could close the account and move on, or accept it the way it is and keep it for age and eventually see it become unsecured. 

Message 6 of 18
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Given how many good cards you currently have i wouldnt think twice about closing a secured card, Navy or not. The purpose of a secured card is to get to the next step in procuring ynsecured credit cards which you have done. You are well on yiur way to establishibg history with Navy with your other two. Jmho

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

It took about a year and a half for my card to get unsecured. It can be frustrating while you wait, but it will happen eventually!

Message 8 of 18
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

Given how many good cards you currently have i wouldnt think twice about closing a secured card, Navy or not. The purpose of a secured card is to get to the next step in procuring ynsecured credit cards which you have done. You are well on yiur way to establishibg history with Navy with your other two. Jmho

I agree with this.

Just for reference though, my secured card took 13 months to graduate. 

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 9 of 18
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@M_Smart007 wrote:

I personally would close the card.

You have More Rewards and Cash Rewards.

After it is closed, you could always apply for a third unsecured card.

It really is not worth being frustrated over. JMHO

+100

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.