Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU

I just opened a NFCU account on Saturday. Bank account opened with $20.

I have a thin file but there are no lates.

I have a credit card with Wells fargo for 15 months now (was secured and now its a revolving).

I have a car loan paid down from 18k to 6k.

No lates on anything.

7 year credit file

My credit scores are 760, 720, and 730. 

All I need is a card with a credit line of 2500-3000. I wouldn't think that would be difficult with my credit profile.

1.  I opened an account with Navy Federal with $20. What should I do next? How can I get a $3000 credit card line?
  2. Is it too early to apply for a credit card with Navy Federal? Should I wait to apply for a credit card since I just opened the bank account?
  3. Did I add enough money to the bank account? Should I transfer at least $100? Does it make a difference?
  4. Are they as picky as Chase? Will they care if I have a thin credit file?
15 REPLIES 15
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: NFCU

Not as picky as Chase. With Navy, things could go anyway but your luck would be you need a card with 3 k and and they give you 15-25k haha. Joking but not, it has happened. Navy is amazing but some people just hit the lottery when apping credit cards with them. I've seen low scores get high limits low apr, while good scores gets low limits high apr. But for sure Navy treats us right. Good luck but I think it's safe to apply worse that happens is a hp and no but eventually they give up the ghostSmiley Wink
Message 2 of 16
Glen_M
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

When you say your scores are 769, 720, 730 ... what type of score are they?  Experian FICO 9 from WF?  The place you're getting them from should tell you the source of the score and what 'formula' is being used.  Those details will make a big difference in the reliability and usefulness of the number. 

If those were FICO 8 or FICO 9 I would be surprised if you couldn't get 3k from most lenders, assuming average income, probably more from somewhere that has a history of being generous like NFCU.

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do I need to wait a certain amount of months before applying or do you think i'm ok to try?

Message 4 of 16
Glen_M
Frequent Contributor

You haven't applied for anything else recently, you should be fine making one with NFCU.   It will depend a little on which card you're aiming for too.

What is your longer term plan/goal? What's next if you're approved, or denied?

Message 5 of 16
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

I opened an account at 2:15 pm yesterday. I applied and had a Cash Rewards Visa approved by 2:30 pm. I'll have the card in my hand before the end of the day tomorrow. Would have been in my hands today, but I didn't take expedited shipping. Then I remembered I was going out of town. Called them at 11:45 pm last night, they canceled the other card and are overnighting a new one. Super impressed with their customer service in just one day.

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

oops... i applied to Chase on Saturday. Got a 30 day decision response then called today and found out I was declined due to insufficient credit file.

Message 7 of 16
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

It's ok, I had 6 app's since March and NFCU still approved me. But, I have 25 years of credit history, so yeah....

Message 8 of 16
bizarrocreditworld
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I just opened a NFCU account on Saturday. Bank account opened with $20.

I have a thin file but there are no lates.

I have a credit card with Wells fargo for 15 months now (was secured and now its a revolving).

I have a car loan paid down from 18k to 6k.

No lates on anything.

7 year credit file

All I need is a card with a credit line of 2500-3000. I wouldn't think that would be difficult with my credit profile.

1.  I opened an account with Navy Federal with $20. What should I do next? How can I get a $3000 credit card line?
  2. Is it too early to apply for a credit card with Navy Federal? Should I wait to apply for a credit card since I just opened the bank account?
  3. Did I add enough money to the bank account? Should I transfer at least $100? Does it make a difference?
  4. Are they as picky as Chase? Will they care if I have a thin credit file?

Just apply for the card of your choice. With your scores, you'll probably get more than a $3,000 limit. They are not nearly as picky as Chase and you don't need to add anything to the bank account unless you want to. They're fine with thin files.

No credit news is good credit news!
Message 9 of 16
stonedog23
Frequent Contributor

Once you are a member you are free to apply for any product at anytime. I started with a phone application with a $25 savings account. The CSR asked me would I like to apply for a credit card. I said no because I hadn’t looked over the different ones. I immediately hung up, looked over the cards, and applied. Was approved after a 10 minute relationship.
NFCU GoRewards Sig ($40,000), NFCU Cash Rewards ($33,000), PenFed Power Cash ($25,000), FNBO Evergreen Visa ($20,000), Bread Financial Rewards Amex ($21,150), PNC Cash Rewards ($18,400), PNC Cashbuilder ($18,700) , Citi Double Cash ($9600), Discover It Cash ($9000), Walmart MC ($8000), Bank of America Unlimited Cash Rewards ($7500), Fifth Third Unlimited Cash Back Mastercard ($7500), Wells Fargo Active Cash Sig($7000), Apple Card ($6000), Amex BCE($6000), Amex ED($6600), X1 Card ($5000), PNC Points ($8000), Amex Cash Magnet($2000), Fifth Third Truly Simple ($4000), Truist Spectrum Cash Rewards($4500), Truist Bright Card($4500), CapOne Quicksilver(Bucketed @$1500), US Bank Cash+ ($5,000), US Bank Cash+ ($1,000), WF mortgage 195K Fico 8: EQ 766, TU 763, EX 753, FICO 9:EQ 829, TU 812, EX 791, AAoA-97 months, AoOA-28 years
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.