Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Fed Amex

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Navy Fed Amex

I got approved for the Navy Fed more rewards Amex about a month ago, and I tried to scour the forums for an answer that I haven't been able to get, so well here is my question.. Does the 3x, 61 day increase work with the more rewards card since it technically is Amex or does it play by Navy Fed's rules? I know with NFCU that after you ask for a CLI they usually make you wait 6 months before getting another. I went on both the Navy Fed and Amex threads for CLIs and this question never crossed my path. 

I appreciate any help!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

Re: Navy Fed Amex

Hi..
It's not technically an Amex. It's a card issued by NFCU on the Amex network. It goes by NFCU CLI rules, not Amex rules
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 2 of 6
SwarthyOgre
Regular Contributor

NFCU is 91 days AND 3 statements before your first CLI from what I have read and as the previous comment said....its not an actual amex so no 3x. Go for 25k when you do request though. You also might want to wait until just after that do an AR before you pull the trigger on a request for CLI and/or 2nd card. You will see a soft pull on your report and I think an updated FICO score via your NFCU card is a good indicator.

Starting scores: 5/15 - EQ: 546 | TU: 580 | EX: 554
Current scores: 4/23 - EQ: 750 | TU: 750 | EX: 750
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks both of you for the answer! I appreciate it. 

Message 4 of 6
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@SwarthyOgrewrote:

NFCU is 91 days AND 3 statements before your first CLI from what I have read and as the previous comment said....its not an actual amex so no 3x. Go for 25k when you do request though. You also might want to wait until just after that do an AR before you pull the trigger on a request for CLI and/or 2nd card. You will see a soft pull on your report and I think an updated FICO score via your NFCU card is a good indicator.

+1 

Just based on just my experience, the NFCU AmEx tends to start "lower", I started at $15k whereas my other card started at $22,500. The wife went for the basic no rewards card because of the 6.99% APR and started at $25k.

Again based on my NFCU-AmEx experience, my 3 months and 3 statements were in January (10th), but since I was not sure if they'd done the soft pull for January, I waited until around the 20th and asked for $20k (didn't see the "maximum amount request" as on other NFCU cards) approved. I'm not really in a hurry to take that any higher - I did use the higher CL to do a balance transfer during the 0% apr - zero fees promotion NFCU was running through February. 

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lower at 25k.. lol . That's awesome! I will try to apply from them in the future. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.