Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal or Amex Gold ? Which is better HELP ME

tag
Society1
Regular Contributor

Navy Federal or Amex Gold ? Which is better HELP ME

I have a Transunion 668 & experian 706.. I was thinking of navy federal credit card or Amex gold card can someone help & tell me which would be good and my chances of getting approved 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: Navy Federal or Amex Gold ? Which is better HELP ME

@Society1 wrote:

I have a Transunion 668 & experian 706.. I was thinking of navy federal credit card or Amex gold card can someone help & tell me which would be good and my chances of getting approved 

Navy usually HP TransUnion for new card applications. They've been known to use EQ as an alternate.

All Navy cards are great. It all depends on your spend. It is not recommended to choose the Flagship as a 1st card with Navy.

Besides your FICO score, they factor in your income, DTI Debt To Income. How is your credit health in that regards?

Message 2 of 10
Society1
Regular Contributor

Credit health is excellent 2 $5,000 accounts w/ both balances at 0

Message 3 of 10
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@Society1 wrote:

Credit health is excellent 2 $5,000 accounts w/ both balances at 0

Call into Navy and see if you have any prequal. Prequal is also available online depending on broswer being used.

Also, it's recommended to report a small balance e.g. $5-10 to avoid the all zero score penalty.

Message 4 of 10
Society1
Regular Contributor

Thanks for that heads up never knew I could get a penalty for that !! Appreciated

Message 5 of 10
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

I have NFCU but I would go with the Gold.

Nice reward structure and credits. NPSL so doesn't show your balance. You've got to pay it off every month though as a charge.

The combo if I had to do it again might be this.

AMEX Gold

Groceries 4x

Dining 4x

USB Altitude Reserve

Travel 3x (4.5 RTR)

Mobile Wallet 3x (4.5 RTR)

USB Cash+

Utilities 5x (rotational cat)

Streaming 5x (rotational cat)

Consistently high earn across the table for a low effective AF once credits are factored in.

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 6 of 10
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@Society1 wrote:

Thanks for that heads up never knew I could get a penalty for that !! Appreciated

Seek AZEO All Zero Except One card reporting a small balance. It may be penalizing you ~15-20 points for all zero.

Message 7 of 10
MrZero
Regular Contributor

@Society1 wrote:

Amex is tightening their belt right now due to the current economic situation, not sure if their prequal site is reflecting that yet but IMO you'd have a better chance with NFCU but check first as well to see if you're pre-qualified.

Updated 8/12/22.

Total Inquiries: EX: 1|TU: 1|EQ: 1
Derogs: 0
AAoA: 2Y1M
AoOA: 2Y6M.
AoYA: 1Y1M.
Total CL: 57,600
Utilization: ~1%

Message 8 of 10
Society1
Regular Contributor

Most definitely will thanks ‼️

Message 9 of 10
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Ignoring the coronavirus situation, since I don't know first-hand how that is affecting things:

I think you have a pretty good chance to get either if no issues aside from score. By which I mean, I was denied for Amex Gold with higher scores than you've got, but I had weird negative X factors (mainly, very young profile and massive credit-seeking behavior). I then surprisingly got the card, which is a whole strange and lengthy story I won't get into here. I have seen people on this board get approved for Amex Gold with a 650 or lower. And, NFCU is generally considered a soft touch.

That said, the options are pretty different, so it's going to depend a lot on your spend. Amex Gold has great rewards for groceries and dining out - but, those rewards come in the form of MRs, which are best redeemed for travel. Do you spend a lot on groceries and dining out? Do you travel a lot, or want to travel more? Positive answers made this card a better deal, but even at that, it does have a $250 annual fee. No NFCU card has an AF of more than $50 (Flagship).

If in doubt, I would suggest the option without the AF unless you really know it fits your spend. In this case, I'd suggest going with NFCU for now. You won't regret, and you can always pick up an Amex Gold in the future. JMO, good luck!

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.