Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with Strategy

tag
BootStraps
Established Contributor

Need help with Strategy

Hi Folks...

My partner and I getting married in September, and we will be taking a week in Sedona AZ after the wedding. I am trying to figure out which card would be most adventageous for using this trip to contribute to future vacations and adventures. We don't travel much but want to be able to use points/miles to pay for most of a flight/hotel for next year's vacation (or two years as finances allow).

Even as infrequent travelers, I suspect that having a travel card might benefit us.

My current lineup includes Discover, NFCU Rewards Visa/MC/LOC, walmart/Amazon/lowes, USAA Amex&MC, VS, HD, Amex Gold - util 19%

Right now, I'm trying to decide among Barclay's Arrival,  Blue Sky Preferred (BSP) and Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP)... what is the most generally useful for building travel points? Is there a more appropriate card that I should be thinking considering?

Suggestions?

Starting Score: All Under 590 (8/2011)
Current Score: Ex: 676 Eq: 681 Tu: 683
Goal Score: Ex: 725 Eq: 725 Tu: 725

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Back in the Garden 4/22/16 Smiley Happy
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
user5387
Valued Contributor

Re: Need help with Strategy

I'd first tie down what you mean by "travel points".

True travel points tend to be MR/UR points from Amex/Chase.

The inherent problem with these is that they often don't make sense for low spend / occasional travel scenarios, and the same is true of AF travel cards in general.

If you do travel a lot, and are skillful in using these points, it can be a good deal.

The alternative is cashback cards like the Fidelity Amex 2% one.

Message 2 of 5
plasectomy
New Contributor

Personally, I would not want to worry about which card I'm using during my honeymoon, so I would go with the Arrival for its simplicity. No guesswork rewards, no card shuffling, and MC acceptance.

Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master.
Message 3 of 5
BootStraps
Established Contributor

Thanks for the feedback.

Does anyone know if CSP considers "commuter rail" as travel for their rewards? Things like NYC subways and Long Island Railroad?

Message 4 of 5
BootStraps
Established Contributor

Actually, nevermind. It looks like the Arrival might be the best, no hassle fit.

Barclay has a reputation for being both fickle and finicky so I don't have any of their cards, but I'll give them a shot..

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.