Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Barclaycard feature?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New Barclaycard feature?

Found what may be the best feature Barclaycard has to offer, the ability to cancel it without talking to anyone. My account cancellation was efficiently handled entirely by robolady today.

Its almost humorous how little they care about your business and how obvious they make it. Good riddance to a crappy card.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: New Barclaycard feature?

That automated feature is also available with Comenity, SYNCB, Capital One, Citi Retail/DSNB, etc.

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar wrote:

That automated feature is also available with Comenity, SYNCB, Capital One, Citi Retail/DSNB, etc.

Interesting. I’m so used to being hounded by retention that I dread cancelling anything, so this took me by surprise. Still glad to be rid of Barclay’s though. 😁

Message 3 of 13
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

I've canceled two Barclays cards, combining limits in the process, by speaking to a representative.  Both made a comment about benefits I would be losing, but once I responded that I was not interested in keeping the card they were very cooperative.

I've also used an automated process to cancel an Amex.

Message 4 of 13
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

Interesting. I’m so used to being hounded by retention that I dread cancelling anything, so this took me by surprise. Still glad to be rid of Barclay’s though. 😁

Well, Uber card still looks good to me.   But sometimes their CSRs are lacking (although that is hardly unique to Barclays!).   Yesterday, I sent a secure email asking to transfer the credit line from the Rewards to Uber.   I got back an response telling me yes, they could certainly do a balance transfer and explaining how to do it.   I replied saying that that was not my question, and was told to call.

The CSR told me that they never do credit line transfer FROM OUR OWN CARDS.     Which would suggest that they are happy to transfer a credit line from a competitor card which would be interesting indeed!  Eventually she transferred me and got fixed in a few minutes.

Message 5 of 13
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Weird... Of all the banks I've dealt with, moving credit lines between cards has been easiest with Barclays.  They usually have to transfer me to a credit analyst first, but once they do, they are on it.  Usually takes about 5 minutes.

Message 6 of 13
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Drinking my cup of joe right now I'll raise it to your closing out the ol Sir BarclaysSmiley Wink
Message 7 of 13
QuakerOatmeal
Regular Contributor

I see the general consensus on these forums is that barclays isn't such a great credit card company, and as a newbie to this forum I find myself confused as to why? I have an Apple Rewards card with barclays and although I haven't used it much I don't really have much interaction with customer service or anything to really get the general animosity towards this company.

I've closed two TERRIBLE cards, a credit one bank card, and a "verve" card and they made me jump through hoops. It wasn't fun. Nice to know if stuff goes south with barclays I can cancel with zero interaction.

Message 8 of 13
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@QuakerOatmeal wrote:

I see the general consensus on these forums is that barclays isn't such a great credit card company, and as a newbie to this forum I find myself confused as to why? I have an Apple Rewards card with barclays and although I haven't used it much I don't really have much interaction with customer service or anything to really get the general animosity towards this company.

I've closed two TERRIBLE cards, a credit one bank card, and a "verve" card and they made me jump through hoops. It wasn't fun. Nice to know if stuff goes south with barclays I can cancel with zero interaction.

They are notorious for CLDs and balance chasing, plus closing your account after you've gotten the card. Take the apple card for instance: sometimes they decrease the CL as the apple purchase is paid down; this wrecks your utilization and dings your FICO scores. They've decreased CLs when you might be carrying high balances on oher cards (as is their right to do so). And they have a habit of closing your account after you've gotten other accounts afterwards. Not to everyone but enough that when I do finally apply for the Uber card, it will be the only application in at least six months and I won't apply for anything afterwards for a while. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@QuakerOatmeal wrote:

I closed for the following reasons:

- No CLI in 3 years on small $1500 limit, used lightly but always PIF. I received CapOne auto CLIs from $3k to $8.5k in the same time frame.

- Hard pull required when requesting CLI

- Even if I used a HP and a CLI was given, I simply don't have confidence that I wouldn't be randomly AA'd in the future.

- Recently opened 4 new accounts with better lenders, and didn't want to risk Barclays infamous AA for new accounts. I'd rather close it with a $1500 CL than risk a CLD to $500.

I realize that they don't treat all their customers poorly, and some are quite happy with them. For me the risk/reward ratio on a card I will never use wasn't worth it. I'd rather close it on my terms.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.